Goffprof

April 26th, 2018, 7:07 am #11

Goffprof wrote:
Goffprof wrote:
Statkowski wrote: Well, you've got one train going north to St. Albans, Vermont, plus one eastward to Boston, Massachusetts, and one westward to Chicago, Illinois.   

Hopefully will be additional Amtrak service via the Hartford Line to Northampton & Greenfield in 2019. 2 extra round trips as “pilot” service. One morning, one later afternoon. Extension of existing Amtrak shuttle service that now ends in Springfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than current Amtrak Hartford Line service at Springfield, the only passenger train for connection to Boston or points west to Chicago is the Lake Shore Limited. The addition of CTRail (CDOT) service in June will add more Hartford Line trains.

This may change in the future if regional service is added to Boston and also points west of Springfield. MA is pro passenger rail. South Coast Rail, Green Line Extension, and other service improvements are in progress now with pilot service to Foxboro planned to start after track improvements are complete.

Al

Also is existing Vermonter service north to St Albans. Still only one east - west connection, the Lakeshore.

rfranzosa

April 28th, 2018, 7:22 am #12

In the 1980s, I worked at UTC Hamilton Standard Division (now UTAS) across from Bradley and the spur from the Hartford line to the airport was still in place all the way to the HSD plant.  There was a 40’ box car painted silver that was used for storage behind one of the HSD buildings.  The tracks were removed from the property sometime after I left. I don’t know if they still go to the airport or if CDOT has ever considered a rail shuttle from Hartford to the airport, it would avoid I91 traffic.

Rick Franzosa

dpeters04

April 29th, 2018, 12:20 pm #13

The Vermonter when the new service starts  will only stop at New Haven, and Hartford all other stops are gone.
 So much for service.

DBrion

April 30th, 2018, 9:17 pm #14

Mr. Franzosa,

Could that silver boxcar be the one that was abandoned "in-place" due to its not being relocated before the rails were removed?   I recall reading about this years ago but it escapes me where it occurred.  I remember that the car was adjacent to a building.

Thanks in advance.

rfranzosa

April 30th, 2018, 9:43 pm #15

It may have been. It was a long time ago, I left CT in 1984.

Rick Franzosa

Ed ORourke

May 4th, 2018, 6:56 pm #16

Of course, Amtrak has just decided to end dining car service on on the Lake Shore Limited. (A lot of buzz on the NRHS chapter in Syracuse.)  This won't help increase passenger bookings. You get a wrap for dinner and "breakfast breads" for breakfast.

May 5th, 2018, 8:32 am #17

Perhaps the new president of Amtrak will install vending machines on the trains like the SP did.

Thieu
Thieu

May 5th, 2018, 10:37 am #18

Statkowski wrote: So someone came up with the bright idea to single-track a double-track line, and another person came up with the bright idea to double-track the single-track line, again.  Both geniuses probably got a bonus or award for their idea, and I'm sure the cost of rectifying the situation far exceeded any savings accrued from creating the problem in the first place.

Progress - It ain't broke so we gotta fix it, and then we gotta fix what we fixed.
I agree that it doesn't seem logic, but ont the other hand: the rails, ties, roadbed need a major overhaul about every 30 years, and regular maintenance in between, so the costs of keeping a useless track in service can be expensive too. Rebuilding that second track also costs money, but as long as the railroad company hasn't sold its properties, it shouldn't be that difficult and costly to rebuild.

rfranzosa

May 5th, 2018, 10:50 am #19

Thieu wrote:
Statkowski wrote: So someone came up with the bright idea to single-track a double-track line, and another person came up with the bright idea to double-track the single-track line, again.  Both geniuses probably got a bonus or award for their idea, and I'm sure the cost of rectifying the situation far exceeded any savings accrued from creating the problem in the first place.

Progress - It ain't broke so we gotta fix it, and then we gotta fix what we fixed.
I agree that it doesn't seem logic, but ont the other hand: the rails, ties, roadbed need a major overhaul about every 30 years, and regular maintenance in between, so the costs of keeping a useless track in service can be expensive too. Rebuilding that second track also costs money, but as long as the railroad company hasn't sold its properties, it shouldn't be that difficult and costly to rebuild.
Good point. I keep that in mind when I see Los Angeles reconfiguring the freeways to add mass transit... the same freeways that were built on the Pacific Electric ROW. You can’t predict the future.

May 6th, 2018, 9:02 pm #20

Richard Abramson wrote: Perhaps the new president of Amtrak will install vending machines on the trains like the SP did.
Food vending machines? In coaches?