An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

Surviving Interlocking towers on NYNH&N rights of way

NewHavenGeek

June 14th, 2018, 1:52 pm #1

does anybody have a list of surviving NH switch towers? I've been on google maps, but it doesn't update that often and I'm a lazy teenager. Doing it for a personal project. Any Info would help.

jkasey
jkasey

June 14th, 2018, 7:09 pm #2

New Haven Geek,

Look on the home page all the way at the bottom & you'll See a list compiled by Bill Sample

John

sauced2007

June 14th, 2018, 7:36 pm #3

NewHavenGeek wrote:does anybody have a list of surviving NH switch towers? I've been on google maps, but it doesn't update that often and I'm a lazy teenager. Doing it for a personal project. Any Info would help.
When I did track work in the late 90’s for Connecticut Southern there was a tower in Hartford between the rail yard and the main line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BX10
BX10

June 15th, 2018, 10:21 am #4

Can't get there from here, at least I can't find the home page, and I tried all the Icons at the top of the page

So how does one access the NHRHTA home page from here?
I remember accessing it before the switch over.

Bill

Vandibe
Vandibe

June 15th, 2018, 10:44 am #5

Use your browser.

http://www.nhrhta.org

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June 15th, 2018, 1:45 pm #6

If you want towers still standing, the list from Bill Sample will be of no help.
Current former NH towers still standing; but not in use anymore are New Rochelle, Rye, Greenwich, Stamford, S. Norwalk, Greens Farms, Devon and Woodmont. The top half of S.S. 8 West Farms was removed to allow the machine to be taken out and installed at Readville transfer.
As far as the Shore Line, I don't know.
Last edited by Richard Abramson on June 15th, 2018, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statkowski

June 15th, 2018, 1:50 pm #7

Plus S.S. 3, Bungay.  Pretty sure the remains of S.S. 8, West Farms Junction were removed during the cleanup of the area.

Those concrete towers last, and last, and last.

TomNelligan

June 15th, 2018, 3:24 pm #8

Richard Abramson wrote: Current former NH towers still standing; but not in use anymore are New Rochelle, Rye, Greenwich, Stamford, S. Norwalk, Greens Farms, Devon and Woodmont. The top half of S.S. 8 West Farms was removed to allow the machine to be taken out and installed at Readville transfer.
As far as the Shore Line, I don't know.
East of New Haven on the Shore Line, the following traditional towers still exist in varying states of structural health: Groton, Westerly, Kingston, Woodlawn, Boston Switch, and Attleboro. The fact that the old Boston Switch tower (SS156) is still standing (in poor shape) is especially amazing since according to Bill's list it was closed in 1935. There are the drawbridge cabins too; I believe that the original NH cabins at Connecticut River and Shaw's Cove are still intact, while the Niantic, Thames River,and Mystic bridges have all been replaced since the coming of Amtrak.

NewHavenGeek

June 17th, 2018, 9:07 am #9

thanks guys,  much appreciated

June 17th, 2018, 9:49 am #10

Glad we could help.