STAINLESS DINERS FROM RAPIDO

MRAMTRAK

September 9th, 2018, 4:01 pm #1

Super good news from "Rapido Bill" and John Sheridan at the Reunion yesterday...the Diners are next in the series of Stainless passenger cars to be produced by Rapido. Remember those gorgeous Coaches and Parlors, that we have been drooling over for the past couple of years?  Well, here's a car to make our passengers happy...they no longer will have to go hungry on our trains!

This latest car required all new tooling, including for the 6-wheel trucks.  The main reason for it costing $40 more than the other two cars.  But, you have time to start saving up for these cars, as they are due about a year from now and reservations are due June 24, 2019.    As before, you can pay by check, money order, PayPal and credit card.  If you pay by check, please DO NOT send us a check now, as the bank will not honor checks over 6 mos. old.  When the cars are on their way from China, we will ask for your check. 

The order form is on our Website and available here: nhrhta.org/pdf/Rapido_NH_diner_final.pdf

Please consider reserving several and help us get to the "magic" number, as you have done for the other cars....and I thank you for that!

Best to you and happy railroading,

Dave
Last edited by MRAMTRAK on September 9th, 2018, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statkowski

September 9th, 2018, 4:06 pm #2

Dave,

You're a day late and a dollar short.  Ron High posted the notice almost four hours before you did, with the same message.

rsullivan

September 9th, 2018, 8:10 pm #3

Mr. Statkowski. Yes, Mr. High did post about the up coing release of the dining cars. However, Mr.Clinton mentioned two critical points. First, there is time to save up for these cars! I started putting a little a side (without the boss knowing about it) each month so I could order more than I projected in several long ago posts. Second and the most important critical point is the "magic" number when he wrote "Please consider reserving several and help us get to the "magic" number, as you have done for the other cars....and I thank you for that!" As we have seen with so many other proposed releases by other manufacturers then the item isn't produced simply because there weren't enough pre-orders. Now that can always become a fact even with Rapido Trains. The earlier we all get our pre-orders into Mr. Clinton, the less sweating and reminding Mr. Clinton will have to do come May and June 2019.
So, pre-order early and order a bunch. Remember that with the "unnamed" dining cars in each scheme you can actually model all ten dining cars in each scheme. Or more importantly for those of you who can actually stick to a specific year to model you can have all ten for your year.
Richard #3967

nhhe52

September 10th, 2018, 8:36 am #4

The diners are named after such fascinating and heroic fathers of our nation.  Is there any New Haven literature about how the names were selected, I assume by some committee assigned the task?

Ed

MRAMTRAK

September 10th, 2018, 11:56 am #5

Statkowski wrote: Dave,

You're a day late and a dollar short.  Ron High posted the notice almost four hours before you did, with the same message.
Am I really "a dollar short"? Was it the same message, or someone trying to be "first on their block"?
Dave

rsullivan

September 10th, 2018, 12:48 pm #6

Mr. Ed(nhhe52). In the Shoreliner, vol 32, iss 1, there was the article titled "Colonial History and the Dining Car Fleet -- An Intended Roster of Mayflower Compact Signers Was Way Off!" by Mr. Tom Curtin. Mr. Curtin opens with, "When ordering the ten new stainless steel dining cars in 1946, the New Haven issued a press release stating that the cars would be named for signers of the Mayflower Compact. Although the names selected were a veritable Who's Who of New England colonial history, evidently the selector of the car names was a bit weak in research, since only five of the names were present on November 11, 1620 when its authors "combined ourselves together into a civill body politick." Mr. Curtin then identifies each name with their accomplishments. It is well worth the short read since it is only one page long with a large picture of the Myles Standish NH #905 in the McGinnis Scheme without skirts, Rapido item #132015. The picture is critical to copying the paint chips in the window band if modeling the very late years of the New Haven Railroad (unless Rapido's attention to detail has already added the paint chips). Hope this helps.
Richard #3967

nhhe52

September 10th, 2018, 12:52 pm #7

Thanks Richard:

I'll see if I have that Shoreliner and if not, find one to compliment my Rapido Diners.  One of the diners I ordered is the Myles Standish.

Ed

Bill Reidy

September 10th, 2018, 8:21 pm #8

MRAMTRAK wrote:
Statkowski wrote: Dave,

Am I really "a dollar short"? Was it the same message, or someone trying to be "first on their block"?
Dave
No good deed goes unpunished, Dave.

Thanks for posting your announcement, including the URL to the PDF order form.  Not to mention everything you do for the company store, helping fund the organization.

Statkowski

September 10th, 2018, 8:30 pm #9

Any reason why I'm thinking the New Haven diners had 1+2 seating instead of 2+2 seating?

rsullivan

September 10th, 2018, 10:52 pm #10

Mr. Statkowski. I'm not sure if it was 1+2 seating or 2+2 seating. However, when you look at NYNH&HRR Diagram 25420 Stainless Steel Sheathed Streamlined Dining Cars 900-909 dated October 18, 1949, you will see that the tables on the aisle side of the cars had a drop-leaf. When down, the tables were 2'6" wide, and 3'6-1/2" when up. While the opposite tables were 3'10" wide. The aisle width between the tables was 3'8-1/8" when the drop-leafs were down, and 23-5/8" wide when they were up. I would find walking down the aisle when the drop-leaves were up very uncomfortable. The diagram does not show any chairs, and the written description says, "Furniture: - Dining room has 12 aluminum tables (6 with drop leaf) and Duncan Phyfe chairs." I looked up "Duncan Phyfe chairs" and found out he was an immigrant from Scotland in 1784 and became one of nineteenth-century America's leading cabinetmakers. However, he and his son James closed their family businees in 1847. So, I believe the chairs were replicas of his style of wooden chairs with open backs with intricate designs of wood. The diagram does not show any place to store extra chairs.
     Now, looking at the picture of the Rapido Trains 900-909 series dining cars on the order form, the drop leaves are definately in the up position with the very narrow aisle between the tables. The chairs are straight backed and have no open backs with wooden designs and have arms. Some of the dining chairs made by Duncan Phyfe had arms and some were armless. Trusting to the attention to detail Rapido Trains and the various modelers and historians of the NHRHTA who assist Rapido, I believe what we see in the model are a later version of the Duncan Phyfe chairs that were not based on the originals.
     If a modeler was really confident in their work and skills, they could remove the table clothes from the tables on the aisle side of a car. Then cut the tables shorter to the down drop-leaf length. Add new table clothes and plates and only one set of chairs to have a uniques car in the 1+2 seat configuration. Myself, I won't change a thing on the Rapido models, but might on my two NHRHTA brass car side models since I will have to rebuild them to be seen in the presence of the Rapido dining cars.
Richard #3967