John Sheridan

September 11th, 2018, 7:31 am #11

rsullivan wrote:      Mr. Statkowski. I'm not sure if it was 1+2 seating or 2+2 seating. However, when you look at NYNH&HRR Diagram 25420 Stainless Steel Sheathed Streamlined Dining Cars 900-909 dated October 18, 1949, you will see that the tables on the aisle side of the cars had a drop-leaf. When down, the tables were 2'6" wide, and 3'6-1/2" when up. While the opposite tables were 3'10" wide. The aisle width between the tables was 3'8-1/8" when the drop-leafs were down, and 23-5/8" wide when they were up. I would find walking down the aisle when the drop-leaves were up very uncomfortable. The diagram does not show any chairs, and the written description says, "Furniture: - Dining room has 12 aluminum tables (6 with drop leaf) and Duncan Phyfe chairs." I looked up "Duncan Phyfe chairs" and found out he was an immigrant from Scotland in 1784 and became one of nineteenth-century America's leading cabinetmakers. However, he and his son James closed their family businees in 1847. So, I believe the chairs were replicas of his style of wooden chairs with open backs with intricate designs of wood. The diagram does not show any place to store extra chairs.
 Now, looking at the picture of the Rapido Trains 900-909 series dining cars on the order form, the drop leaves are definately in the up position with the very narrow aisle between the tables. The chairs are straight backed and have no open backs with wooden designs and have arms. Some of the dining chairs made by Duncan Phyfe had arms and some were armless. Trusting to the attention to detail Rapido Trains and the various modelers and historians of the NHRHTA who assist Rapido, I believe what we see in the model are a later version of the Duncan Phyfe chairs that were not based on the originals.
     If a modeler was really confident in their work and skills, they could remove the table clothes from the tables on the aisle side of a car. Then cut the tables shorter to the down drop-leaf length. Add new table clothes and plates and only one set of chairs to have a uniques car in the 1+2 seat configuration. Myself, I won't change a thing on the Rapido models, but might on my two NHRHTA brass car side models since I will have to rebuild them to be seen in the presence of the Rapido dining cars.
Richard #3967
Yes, I am aware to of the drop leaf abilities of the chairs but to keep the costs down, all the tables are the same size. However as a plus you do get plates, napkins, tablecloths & silverware!

The reason the chairs look the way they do is because the floor is raised to accommodate the car weight underneath. This means that we could not cast legs into the chairs - the chairs are pretty much sitting on the floor due to the raised floor - just like the parlor & coach seats.

Statkowski

September 11th, 2018, 8:18 am #12

Stumpy, the dining car steward, would approve.

rsullivan

September 11th, 2018, 8:32 am #13

Thank you Mr. Sheridan for the explanation. I for one am very happy with the interior, especially the table clothes and plates. Since the silverware was maintained in a box on the end of the long tables, the tables are correct without any silverware. When you put some passengers at the tables some silverware should be visible along with food on the plates and glasses/cups. I remember that there were two cooks but don't remember how many stewards were assigned to each dining car. Was there a set number of stewards per car? Thanks in advance.
Richard #3967

nhhe52

September 11th, 2018, 10:40 am #14

Statkowski wrote: Stumpy, the dining car steward, would approve.
Good to know if one intends to add attendant figures to the cars.

Statkowski

September 11th, 2018, 11:50 am #15

rsullivan wrote: I remember that there were two cooks but don't remember how many stewards were assigned to each dining car. Was there a set number of stewards per car? Thanks in advance.
Richard #3967
Two cooks, one steward, about three, maybe four, waiters.

John Sheridan

September 12th, 2018, 8:06 am #16

nhhe52 wrote:
Statkowski wrote: Stumpy, the dining car steward, would approve.
Good to know if one intends to add attendant figures to the cars.
Just like most passenger cars you will need to perform some amputations to your passengers in order to get them seated. I added a bunch of passengers to my Parlors & my workbench looked like a slaughterhouse with legs everywhere !

I did originally make the tables & chairs the correct height when I designed them. When I wrapped the carbody around the model, something looked a tad "off". I quickly discovered that the tabletops & the chair armrests were about a 3rd the way up the windows. 
Fixed that pretty quickly as the tabletop should be slightly below the windows. I lowered the chairs to match the table & they fell into place where they should be. 

TomCurtin

September 12th, 2018, 11:54 am #17

rsullivan wrote:       Dining room has 12 aluminum tables (6 with drop leaf) and Duncan Phyfe chairs."
Gentlemen:  I have been researching the diners for a Shoreliner article to complement the ones previously published (about the Point  sleepers, the 8600 coaches, and the parlors); and with some help from my wife Eileen who is very knowledgeable in interior design matters I can tell you those were not Duncan Phyfe chairs, rather "English regency" style.  so it appears that the NH was not only a little weak on Colonial historical figures but on furniture design also.
     Tom

nhhe52

September 14th, 2018, 6:21 pm #18

So . . . ., now we need the Grill car to separate the Diner and Parlors from the Coaches.😀
County and Observation cars anyone?

Thank you Rapido,

Ed