Shoreliner #30

BobTracy

December 17th, 2007, 10:47 am #1

My heartiest congratulations and thanks to Marc and his contributors for a very interesting and outstanding piece about Readville....... I learned a lot, and enjoyed the myriad photos (with good captions).
A highly professional job.
I'd love to see a similar effort on van Nest ....a place I hear about, but have no idea what it did other than service electrics......and I know there was much more than that.
Thanx, Bob Tracy

Donaldfor

December 17th, 2007, 2:12 pm #2

I would like to add to Bob's comments it is a great issue. My maternal grandfather worked in the loco-shop. His job was to change the bushings on steam engines( probably the toughest job in the shop.) He retired right after ww2 in disgust of the diesels. A real steam man. His name was Elmer Wahlstedt in case anyone has heard of him. I used to meet the shop train at Hazelwood station and he would take me into lower Washington St to the barber school for a haircut. I must have been about 10. When I hired out I worked the 5 yard switcher in Readville. (small world)
Don Forbes
www.lulu.com/content/440598

nhtwo
nhtwo

December 17th, 2007, 11:06 pm #3

Donald,talk about a small world, my maternal grandfather also worked at the Readville shops his name was Frank Kremer,he was there until they closed the shops, and then transfered to New Haven.
He was one of the machinists that worked on the two I-4s that were used on the "then called" Last Steam trip.
Bill

NHRHTA1

December 17th, 2007, 11:23 pm #4

Was done and available Bob.\ Volume 24, Issue 1 1993 -- $4.75
"Van Nest Shops in the 1940s";
"As Others See Us";
"New Haven 820 'Down Under'";
"Good Housekeeping on the New Haven";
"What's the Story? - New Haven Mogul 448;
"Bridgeport Puzzle Switches";
"11-Car Wareham Derailment Interrupts Service to Cape".