November 26th, 2007, 11:41 am #21

I am retired after 35 years in IBM engineering. My first big project was development of the air taffic control system at NAFEC in Atlantic City NJ in the 1950's. Since then the volume of air traffic has multiplied. Sad to say, we are still using the same 50 year old technology in today's major airports.
It is way past time to upgrade. A good GPS system would be a start.
Bernie Rudberg

NHRHTA1

November 26th, 2007, 3:48 pm #22

You have to love this forum. Starting out with the Shorliner release to the Mail service to the RPO decline to increased USPS costs=decreased service to Airlines and Fares, de-regulation to Air traffic control and safety to GPS monitoring. What in the devil goes one here??? LOL

November 27th, 2007, 12:37 pm #23

Tom,
The mail moving slower (in your opinion...I'd like to see some proof) is not only an "unmitigated disaster", it's also more of a disaster than what's going on with the airlines which you ranked #2?
Waiting for hours on the tarmac, a real need for a "Passenger's Bill of Rights", almost having mid-air collisions, security lines, "no-fly" lists with U.S. Senators on them, no frills transporation, etc. Thousands of lives at risk.
Vs.
Waiting an extra week or two for a bulk-rate "Shoreliner" mailed during the holiday season.
Oooo-kay. Whatever.

Rick Abramson

November 28th, 2007, 1:38 am #24

I think we need to add a discussion on the collision between the Andrea Doria and the Stockholm. . .why not??

EdJSweeney

November 28th, 2007, 7:30 am #25

Hey Wayne,
I figure we wait a coupla more posts or so, and we'll be right back to Charlie's original request like: "how's the Shoreliner delivery coming?" So far, we've been everywhere else on this 'n. (come to think of it, though, no one's brought up Global Warming yet--sorry, Charlie, you had evey good intention)
EdS