Reasoning behind the change in NH color schemes

October 21st, 2003, 12:55 pm #1

While the color scheme question is always a popular topic here, what were some of the reasons behind the various color scheme changes, sans PBM 'make-over'-sans steam locomotives?
What years did these color changes occur, and were they only on specific trains?
I have seen Green/Gold, Orange "Layer-Cake", Green/Orange, Black/Orange, Cranberry. Have I forgotten any?

NHRHTA1

October 21st, 2003, 1:19 pm #2

There was not to our knowledge a Black/Orange it was Hunter Green and Orange there were some mislabled photos once but it was Green. The Green Orange with Grey pinstripes was discarded by the Dumaine Administration on cost factors of applying such a complicated color scheme. Before you ask I can tell you this; the RR over the years costed out everything, down to what the yearly cost of burning a 40 watt bulb in a freight office would be, and these costs were to be adhered to. They knew excatly how many rolls of masking tape it took and the man hours to apply. The Green and Dulux Gold scheme was simpler and less costly (Man hours also) to apply.

October 21st, 2003, 2:13 pm #3

Actually there was a black and orange scheme. It was more commonly refered to as the Alpert Scheme.
There was also the Brooks Brothers (?) layer cake paint scheme as well.
David

October 21st, 2003, 2:32 pm #4

The Alpert paint scheme was essentially a cost cutting revision of the Mc Ginnis/Matter paint scheme which as of the 1960's, was too expensive for the cash strapped railroad to maintain. The white was removed and the orange/red covered the bottom (approximately) third of the unit with it coming up to the headlight on the nose. The rest of the unit was black. This paint scheme was applied to FA and PA units. There were other black and orange variations for DERS and DEY units which had a black cab and red-orange hoods. And of course this was all finished with a white block letter "NH".
As for the Brook's Brothers paint scheme.... It was short lived during the late 1940's early 1950's and consisted of hunter green with light gray pinstripes. And the always popular script herald completed the paint scheme. This was applied to some DER-1's, EP-3's, EP-4's, and to some EF-3/3a's.
David

Rick Abramson

October 21st, 2003, 10:35 pm #5

What I find interesting, is that when the trustees pushed the Jets thru a major shopping in the mid '60s, the simplified scheme ("Alpert") was not applied as a cost saving measure. Personally, I'm happy they reapplied the original scheme, except for the small NH on the ends.

NHRHTA1

October 21st, 2003, 11:43 pm #6

David that is not orange (on Alpert era) its #409 Red-Orange when orange is referred to it means the 292 Warm Orange.

October 22nd, 2003, 9:39 am #7

I stand corrected.
Now I thought that it was a cost saving measure for that Alpert paint scheme? With the elimination of the white band on the DER-2a/b/c units and some DER-3a's, they didn't show road grime as much meaning they wouldn't "have" to be washed as often.
Where's Marc?
David

October 22nd, 2003, 9:48 am #8

OK, thanks for the responses.... they address some of the question, however it (the question) still stands above.
Did the New Haven Colors transition from (diesel era)
Green/Gold to Orange/Layer Cake to Green/Warm Orange to PBM to Warm Orange/Black?
With the Cranberry thrown in on some special train?

October 22nd, 2003, 10:10 am #9

Well it depends. If you want just diesels see below.
Switchers: Delivered Green until about 1948, then green and warm orange, and anywhere between 1955 and 1968 all the remaining units were painted black with red-orange hoods.
Road units: Delivered in 1947-1948 in warm orange and green. Around 1950 to green and gold. Many units carried their green and gold until 1956-1957 when some were painted in a Mc Ginnis scheme.
The DL-109's were delivered IIRC in green and gold. They then received the Brook's Brothers or warm orange schemes around 1947-1948. Repainted to green and gold circa 1950. The Cranberry was one special DER-1, 0727, which received the paint scheme for a few years in the early 1950's for the cranberry festival in Massachusetts. The unit also had two Hancock whistles instead of horns on its roof. By the mid-1950's the unit was green and gold again.
It could vary, because the units were only repainted when they had to go into the shops for servicing.
David

October 22nd, 2003, 10:16 am #10

Thank you for the response, David. I thought the Cranberry was only for a special train....