Rapido Annouced New Haven RS-11

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

Rapido Annouced New Haven RS-11

rsullivan

June 25th, 2018, 3:46 pm #1

I just finished watching Rapido's product announcement on Facebook. They will be producing a totally correct Alco RS-11 for the New Haven Railroad. It will have the correct fuel/water tanks, the extended walkway over the cab control box, steam generator stacks, and everything else. Preorder deadline is October 15, 2018. We all need to get our preorders in to hopefully have Rapido continue supporting the New Haven modelers. 
     Just opened the Rapido Trains email newsletter and it leads off with the announcement of the RS-11's. The newsletter provided a link and here is the Rapido Trains online announcement with more specifics: http://rapidotrains.com/ho-alco-rs11-launch.html.
     For Mr. Derek they announced the Canadian National's Tempo passenger train with the three versions of the cars and the upgraded MLW RS-18 in the Tempo scheme with the extended short hood to accomodate the AC generator set.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967

nhhe52

June 25th, 2018, 6:19 pm #2

Rapido does it again:
Most excellent!

Ed

nhhe52

June 25th, 2018, 6:37 pm #3

So . . . . we’ve heard previously from Rapido that multiple car sets are cost losers but here again the Tempo Train with a five car set.  The passenger cars are of different window arrangement, requiring different parts tooling, right?
So . . . . why do we hear Rapido can’t do more than one New Haven stainless steel passenger car type at a time?   How about the combine, grill, diner and observation in sets and individual cars all next at the same time rather than over the next eight years.  I could be dead by then if I have to wait that long.😀

Did I mention the stainless steel sleepers.😀

Ed

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

June 25th, 2018, 7:44 pm #4

Real nice. I watched it my self and the NH giveaway was " Correct NH Hand rails "
 Well the Brass & Atlas are gone ( or will be ) I see they are doing the Demo unit as well. Hope they do both but then with 5 fuel tank's and 4 body cap's Real easy  I need 701B !!

Jim

rsullivan

June 25th, 2018, 10:25 pm #5

Mr. Ed(nhhe52) I remember Mr. Shron or RapidoBill explaining that there are more potential buyers of complete trains in Canada, however they nearly lost their shirts (and business) with their first passenger trainset offering when they first appeared on the hobby scene. I suspect that if they don't receive enough orders to justify the production run, the Tempo trainset might not happen. So, it is up to Mr. Derek and his companions who love and model the CN on both sides of the 49 to make this and possibly others in the future a reality. Time will tell. 
Richard

Statkowski

June 25th, 2018, 10:36 pm #6

It's too bad that Tempo service couldn't be established between Washington, D.C. and Boston, Mass.  Of course, neither the NH nor PRR had the money for such, and Amtrak had yet to be created.

John Sheridan

June 26th, 2018, 9:30 am #7

nhhe52 wrote: So . . . . we’ve heard previously from Rapido that multiple car sets are cost losers but here again the Tempo Train with a five car set.  The passenger cars are of different window arrangement, requiring different parts tooling, right?
So . . . . why do we hear Rapido can’t do more than one New Haven stainless steel passenger car type at a time?   How about the combine, grill, diner and observation in sets and individual cars all next at the same time rather than over the next eight years.  I could be dead by then if I have to wait that long.😀

Did I mention the stainless steel sleepers.😀

Ed
The main reason is, as always.... cash.

The NHRHTA pays a portion of the cost to Rapido for making these cars. Yes, we could offer them as a trainset but the up-front cost would likely bankrupt the NHRHTA & Rapido. 

You see, you need to actually sell the cars in order to at least recover the investment in tooling & manufacturing. Which is also the reason why we do pre-order instead of just manufacturing them & hoping they sell....or not. 

Let's not even mention that as of right now, for 2019, you have the SW1200, the EP-5, & now the RS-11 being offered & in New Haven Paint & prototypically correct. . 

John Sheridan

June 26th, 2018, 9:33 am #8

NHJJ4 wrote:  Real nice. I watched it my self and the NH giveaway was " Correct NH Hand rails "
 Well the Brass & Atlas are gone ( or will be ) I see they are doing the Demo unit as well. Hope they do both but then with 5 fuel tank's and 4 body cap's Real easy  I need 701B !!

Jim
If the first run sells well (which I am sure it will) you will likely see them in the 2nd run. Right now they have 3 fuel tank styles & I believe one of them is the other tank which only some of the RS-11s received in the 1960s. 

John Sheridan

June 26th, 2018, 9:35 am #9

For the record - The Rapido offering of the NH RS-11 will be "as delivered" with the Orange grabs & pilot lettering of our favorite OBSERVE RULE S-92 in Orange. 

nhhe52

June 26th, 2018, 6:33 pm #10

“You see, you need to actually sell the cars in order to at least recover the investment in tooling & manufacturing. Which is also the reason why we do pre-order instead of just manufacturing them & hoping they sell....or not.“

John:  Why the snarky remark.  Really?  They need to make money?

You say “we”.  Are you a stake holder in Rapido?

Ed