rsullivan

June 28th, 2018, 5:11 pm #21

Mr Stewart. My local hobby shop also gives a 15% discount on Rapido pre-orders because of his distributor. He has an account with Rapido, but has to place his pre-orders through a distributor. When he orders in stock items directly from Rapido, he gives a 20% discount. One of the major online retailers might offer a few percentage points lower price, but you have to pay shipping and at the end of the year my use tax for all purchases plus shipping that no sales taxes were paid. Plus it keeps the local economy going. I'm placing my pre-order with him.
That's my view and opinion.
Richard

EdwardStewart

June 28th, 2018, 6:58 pm #22

James Fellows, Please read Post 17 pertaining to funding, Thank you, Ed

James Fellows

June 29th, 2018, 9:52 am #23

Hi Ed,

For some reason the RS-11 and the Stainless steel cars are mixed up.

Jim

John Sheridan

July 2nd, 2018, 9:39 am #24

Here, let me clarify things a tad - 

The NHRHTA is only involved with the Stainless Steel Cars through Rapido. 

We are NOT directly involved with the EP-5 or the RS-11. We are NOT selling either locomotive through the NHRHTA.

Our only involvement with either of these locomotives was technical assistance with the design, paint, etc. 

rsullivan

July 2nd, 2018, 2:22 pm #25

We New Haven modelers need to be thankful that members of the NHRHTA, such as Mr. Abramson and others on the EP-5 and Mr. Sheridan and others on many of the models, took time out of their schedules to volunteer the information and help in the project development with the various manufacturers such as Rapido Trains and Bethlehem Car Works. For all those who volunteered their service, I thank you very, very much.
Richard #3967

jrmuel
jrmuel

July 3rd, 2018, 9:30 am #26

I have ordered mine through my local distributor.  He gives me a nice discount and I can pick things up locally without paying shipping, although I have a 4.5 % Virginia sales tax.  I believe in supporting local retailers as much as possible.  Have a great 4th.  Jim

ThomasDerwin

September 14th, 2018, 4:44 pm #27

Rapido has extended the deadline for RS-11 pre-orders to November 19, 2018, per their website.

September 15th, 2018, 11:47 pm #28

I'm just still looking for the RS-11s by Atlas, least the Rapido ones will extend it

EDIT: I always hate realizing things after posting but it's for an HO scale and I never realized that it's for HO scale. Looks like there won't be anything new for N scale then

rghammill

September 16th, 2018, 10:55 pm #29

nhhe52 wrote: So . . . . we’ve heard previously from Rapido that multiple car sets are cost losers but here again the Tempo Train with a five car set.  The passenger cars are of different window arrangement, requiring different parts tooling, right?
So . . . . why do we hear Rapido can’t do more than one New Haven stainless steel passenger car type at a time?   How about the combine, grill, diner and observation in sets and individual cars all next at the same time rather than over the next eight years.  I could be dead by then if I have to wait that long.😀

Did I mention the stainless steel sleepers.😀

Ed
Hi, Ed

Although this was sort of answered before, and I’m not a stakeholder in Rapido, I can tell you that a big difference between NH multi-car sets and Canadian ones are the market.

Since CP and CN are country-wide railroads, they present a much bigger market than a one-road US train. Walthers has explored the possibility of a complete New Haven train and it has always been a non-starter due to lack of sufficient interest.

The Canadian train market is a bit different too. Many modelers up north have felt that Canadian models are underrepresented. In addition, they are used to (although not always happy with) such models being more expensive, since most manufacturers are US-based and also charge a higher price in Canada due to the USD/CAD exchange rates.

Another factor for a railroad like the New Haven is that only a portion of NH modelers need the name trains. If you’re not modeling the Shoreline, then those trains are optional. While I would consider purchasing the Clipper, Merchants, or another name train as a display, the fact is that my budget needs to go towards what I do need for my layout. Of course, I’d expect Chris would have one anyway, since he has Saybrook on the layout and anyone of those are must-have trains.

While the same can be said for Candian modelers, it just appears that they are willing to spend the money on the mainline trains.

Another example is the Con-Cor Comet. A reasonably affordable and well done model. The initial announcement indicated they would release the second scheme in the second run. But a combination of the first run not selling as well as expected (so I’ve heard), and not nearly enough orders for the second run, the project just disappeared. My understanding is that their other streamline train set models did very well.

Having said that, as long as Rapido continues to get good sales making New Haven stuff, they will continue to do so, especially when it can tie into larger projects like the RS-11.

Randy

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954 | http://blog.newbritainstation.com