Vandibe
Vandibe

June 26th, 2018, 6:59 pm #11

Before this thread takes a nasty turn...

I’m trying to figure out if I can afford to order 2 or 3....sooo excited! Was just eyeballing a junk RS-11 on eBay the other day thinking, “yeah, I can kit bash- scratch-modify that into a prototypically correct NH RS-11”... [insert eye roll here]

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

June 26th, 2018, 11:04 pm #12

John, I am not sure about the size of the tank on the Demos But 2 of the 3 have the smaller tank Ah La Atlas # 701 & 701A  Don't have many roof shots but # 701B had the larger ( NH Style) tank  And a Steam Generator and there were 3 Demo units. Don't know about Through Steam lines on the other 2 but then ??

Jim

John Sheridan

June 27th, 2018, 8:10 am #13

nhhe52 wrote: “You see, you need to actually sell the cars in order to at least recover the investment in tooling & manufacturing. Which is also the reason why we do pre-order instead of just manufacturing them & hoping they sell....or not.“

John:  Why the snarky remark.  Really?  They need to make money?

You say “we”.  Are you a stake holder in Rapido?

Ed
How do you think these cars are made Ed ? Rapido is not blindly making these cars in hope that they might or might not sell. That business model died years ago in this industry. All the cars are pre-order - if the magic pre-order number is not met, then the cars are not made. Period.  That's why we offer them as a pre-order item & not an off-the-shelf-item. We do order about 50 units-or-so extra for shows etc. but that's it. Those we burn though within 90 days. 

As for "We" , the NHRHTA is fronting the cash to make these cars happen so they are a stakeholder. If it were not for the NHRHTA's direct involvement then these cars would never have happened as they were considered too risky to gamble that much money for a questionable return. 

As for myself, I am the person who was appointed by Bill Dulmaine to represent the NHRHTA in discussions with Rapido on costs, scheduling, design etc. I bring all these items to the BoD who has the final approval / disapproval on the project. 

So I guess i'm more of a middle-man than stakeholder. 

Anything else you would like to know ?

John Sheridan

June 27th, 2018, 8:16 am #14

NHJJ4 wrote:   John, I am not sure about the size of the tank on the Demos But 2 of the 3 have the smaller tank Ah La Atlas # 701 & 701A  Don't have many roof shots but # 701B had the larger ( NH Style) tank  And a Steam Generator and there were 3 Demo units. Don't know about Through Steam lines on the other 2 but then ??

Jim
I have not seen the Demo unit tank so I really cannot comment.  Rapido so far is planning on 3 different tank types for the first run. There might be more if they are needed. I'm sure if you ask really nice, Rapido would likely offer you on of the other styles once the units are released. I do know that the NH RS-11 will be "as delivered" in the first run. 

nhhe52

June 27th, 2018, 11:30 am #15

“So I guess i'm more of a middle-man than stakeholder. 

Anything else you would like to know ?”

No, thanks for the clarification.

Ed

John Sheridan

June 27th, 2018, 12:55 pm #16

Vandibe wrote: Before this thread takes a nasty turn...

I’m trying to figure out if I can afford to order 2 or 3....sooo excited! Was just eyeballing a junk RS-11 on eBay the other day thinking, “yeah, I can kit bash- scratch-modify that into a prototypically correct NH RS-11”... [insert eye roll here]

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Eric, on the plus-side of things you do have till about this time next year to save-up so that you can buy 2 or 3 Reserve them before October!).

If you still want to go the kit-bash route, think of all cheap RS-11s will be hitting ebay for you to scoop-up! 😁

newhaven45

June 27th, 2018, 2:57 pm #17

Ed,  After seeing your post, I went back and read the entire post that John Sheridan wrote. Perhaps you missing the first several lines of John's post: "The main reason is, as always.... cash. The NHRHTA pays a portion of the cost to Rapido for making these cars. Yes, we could offer them as a trainset but the up-front cost would likely bankrupt the NHRHTA & Rapido." John is correct in what he stated if it is a JOINT project and the cost is shared by both NHRHTA and Rapido. I don't think that John's wording is "snarky"at all if there is a mutual need for both parties to make money. Just my opinion.nobody asked.
Al Jones

nhhe52

June 27th, 2018, 9:24 pm #18

Al:

I didn’t miss a thing but thanks,

Ed

EdwardStewart

June 28th, 2018, 8:42 am #19

Just out of curiosity now, If the NHRHTA puts up front money for these, Do the other roadnames  included in this run of RS 11's do the same ?, Also as this will be my first preorder, Rapido  said the MSRP will be $339.00 +/- , my LHS  gives me 15% discount and pays shipping ( I pick it up at his store 100 miles away though, it's a daytrip with Good restaurants there), now the new Q is, Who to order from ? or WWED ?

James Fellows

June 28th, 2018, 3:38 pm #20

I believe that NHRHTA is only supporting the 8600 passenger cars.  The RS-11 is a 100% Rapido project. New Haven fans have supported Rapido well in the past, so they may have been one of the deciding factor on producing that version in the first run. 

Jim Fellows