Railway Express Agency building, New Haven, 1950s

BBussey
BBussey

July 23rd, 2018, 12:53 am #1

Folks,

Does anyone know of where I may find photos of the Railway Express Agency building that stood northeast of Union Station in New Haven, where the station parking lot now stands?  I have a footpriint from the station blueprints, but cannot locate any photos.  I believe the building was razed in 1957 but I don't know for certain.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

bb

Dick Otto

July 23rd, 2018, 1:59 pm #2

Here's one, Brian -- Aerial View

rsullivan

July 23rd, 2018, 5:38 pm #3

Thanks Mr. Otto for that link with the aerial view of the New Haven Union Station. Seeing the ends of the REA/Post Office building reminded me of the picture of the Talgo Trains visit to that station. I looked it up in Shoreliner, vol. 19, iss. 2, on page 25 of Mr. Marc Frattasio's and Mr. Joel Rosenbaum's four part article titled "The McGinnis Trains - Chapter 1." In the picture you can see the end of the REA/Post Office building's narrow wing that extended between the tracks, the small building, and then the possibly white block building that continues between the tracks. I didn't know that was part of the REA/Post Office building until now. That same picture is on page 514 of Mr. J.W. Swanberg's New Haven Power 1838-1968 (1988).
Richard #3967

BBussey
BBussey

July 23rd, 2018, 10:27 pm #4

Thanks Dick.  I was able to find another four aerial views in the UConn collection that gives me an idea of the building design.  Also thank to RSullivan for pointing out the Shoreliner reference, which also will help.

jwcostello

July 24th, 2018, 8:59 pm #5

Thanks Dick for posting the photo. 
I have looked for years for similar ones about New Haven Station and came up with that one in the Mechanical Dept. facilities book that only covers the west end of the station area. There are many photos in this book that cover other NH  facilities taken in 1955 by Thomas Airways, I would guess they were taken for the Railroad. Would anyone know if these photos still exist?  If they we're taken by/for the railroad then could I presume there would be more?

JIm  #L082

rsullivan

July 24th, 2018, 11:44 pm #6

Many photos from and of the New Haven at at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center at UCONN in Storrs, Connecticut. When I visited what was available only online, I found there are limited resources. The best way to find out stuff is in person with a prior approval and probably letting them know what you are looking for prior to arriving. Being that you live down under in Australia 🇦🇺, I don't expect you can make frequent visits. I'm a little better off being a two day drive, but I don't ever anticipate getting there.
Richard #3967

jwcostello

July 25th, 2018, 12:57 am #7

Richard #3967. I would love to have the time to visit the research centre  and spend time there,but have to rely on others. Any online searches have been unsuccessful as I do not have a lot of time to search properly.I have been
 lucky enough to be able to attend both the 25th and 50th reunions and that may be the last.
 Unless we do a holiday in the area even a one day at a reunion is out of the question.  We may do a N Scale and NMRA convention in the west if they are close together to justify the time away.  I should be retired but still enjoy the work.

Jim  #L082

wlupoli
wlupoli

August 3rd, 2018, 11:12 am #8

I have 2 or more ground shots of the front of this building. I got these at Storrs. I will have to scan them . Also, thanks gentleman for the aerial view of this building.

Bill Lupoli

wlupoli
wlupoli

August 4th, 2018, 10:45 am #9

Attached are 4 scanned twice photos of the REA Building . I got them several years ago on a trip to UCONN in Storrs, CT. The 1949-50 Pontiac "Woodie" is cool.
scan0004.jpg
scan0003.jpg
scan0002.jpg
scan0001.jpg

jwcostello

August 5th, 2018, 9:12 pm #10

Hi Bill,
Many thanks for posting the photos, they will be very helpful.
I believe Bryan is going to contact  Storrs as well.

Jim
# L082