Railroads and artists

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
corlissbs

February 18th, 2018, 7:38 pm #21

rsullivan wrote:
corlissbs wrote: Norman Rockwell painted a Cagney 4-4-0 with a bored engineer waiting for passengers to load in the background.

Brad Smith
Mr. Smith. I looked again at what is suppose to be all of Norman Rockwell's paintings, and didn't see the painting with the bored engineer. I did notice one I missed last time I looked through his collection. The painting titled "Rush." It shows a resting (sleeping) man sitting on a trunk with a suitcase and chicken next to him on the trunk. I noticed that his hat resembles my NYNH&H RR Baggage Master hat. I don't know if that style of hat was worn by stage or freight depot personnel, but was definately worn by railroaders. The picture is viewable at: http://totallyhistory.com/wp-content/up ... ckwell.jpg. This and the painting mentioned above that shows the steam locomotive in the window slipped by me the other times I reviewed this site. To be honest, the locomotive is not really easy to see in the thumbnail, but is evident when enlarged. Here is what my NYNH&H RR hat looks like.
NYNH&H RR Baggage Master hat.jpgRichard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967

I asked about this artwork at the Norman Rockwell Museum and was told that there is no comprehensive list or collection of all of his paintings. If he did the artwork for someone, they did not have a record of it.  I have a partial of this art and wanted to see the whole of it.  Will have to keep looking.

Brad

rsullivan

February 21st, 2018, 3:51 pm #22

I want to thank Mr. Stakowski for mentioning the Howard Fogg painting, and Mr. DPeters183 for mentioning Mr. Steven Cryan. I found that the Fogg print of the Alco lashup was still available. So, I now own one of the prints. Plus I went to Mr. Cryan's site and found he still had a number of prints available. I am awaiting The Steam Lineup at South Station, Boston; 1377 at Cedar Hill in the Winter; Saybrook Point Roundhouse 1896; The Commonwealth at Hell Gate; and Pier 14 in the mail shortly. I had a great time speaking with Mr. Cryan.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967

rsullivan

February 27th, 2018, 2:14 pm #23

I just received my prints from Mr. Steven Cryan, and they are fabulous. I received my Howard Fogg New Haven Alco print last week. I want to thank everyone who mentioned all the other artists besides Norman Rockwell. If you want some great New Haven and other railroad prints, I highly recommend going to the Steven Cryan Studio at http://stevencryan.com/, and take a look around. 
     The prints come flat and on a mounting board already, so they are frame ready. This is a far cry from the usual rolled print in a tube. I'm very happy with my five prints, and I think anyone interested in railroad artwork would be too.

Ron High

February 27th, 2018, 8:07 pm #24

rsullivan wrote:      I just received my prints from Mr. Steven Cryan, and they are fabulous. I received my Howard Fogg New Haven Alco print last week. I want to thank everyone who mentioned all the other artists besides Norman Rockwell. If you want some great New Haven and other railroad prints, I highly recommend going to the Steven Cryan Studio at http://stevencryan.com/, and take a look around. 
     The prints come flat and on a mounting board already, so they are frame ready. This is a far cry from the usual rolled print in a tube. I'm very happy with my five prints, and I think anyone interested in railroad artwork would be too.
Here are a couple of other artists to check into

http://www.trainutz.com/
The artist has done 4 NH prints he sells through Ebay he lists 4 to 8 prints at a time. He does many different railroads but the NH items do go on Ebay once in a while.
http://www.trainutz.com/NH-EP5WEB.jpg

http://www.trainutz.com/NH%20DL109%20WEB.jpg

also a painting of the Comet

A Nice painting of 2 PAs in the 2 different McGinnis paint schemes ,I purchased this a few weeks back. I purchased his DL109 a couple of years back'
Another artist 
 WWW.olddepotgallery.com

He has  a print that is new called Plainfield crossing. This is 2 RS2s in orange and green southbound with a freight at the diamond in Plainfield Ct. It is not on the website but you can contact him. I bought this print for 45.00 from him at the Springfield Amherst Railway Society show. His prints are sold in a limited edition of 500 format.
Ron High

Statkowski

February 27th, 2018, 9:08 pm #25

Really, PRR position light signals on the New York Connecting Railroad?  With the wrong catenary bridges?  And reverse signaling on track 5?  And the mail & express train running against the current of traffic on track 4?  And the tracks 4, 5 & 6 signals are absolute signals (no number plate)?  And the track 5 signal is displaying (PRR Rule 280) Clear Block?

Ron High

February 28th, 2018, 7:54 am #26

Statkowski wrote: Really, PRR position light signals on the New York Connecting Railroad?  With the wrong catenary bridges?  And reverse signaling on track 5?  And the mail & express train running against the current of traffic on track 4?  And the tracks 4, 5 & 6 signals are absolute signals (no number plate)?  And the track 5 signal is displaying (PRR Rule 280) Clear Block?

A bit of a Foobie??? I did have some doubts about the details but you know the territory far better than I  I did not purchase this one.

Attached are photos of the other two prints I have.
Ron High Plainfield.jpg Providence.jpg

nhhe52

February 28th, 2018, 9:52 am #27

I have several of Orillio's illustrations, EP-5s, GG-1, Hell Gate Bridge, etc:
http://xoxodance61.wix.com/beyond-real

Ed
Last edited by nhhe52 on February 28th, 2018, 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

nhhe52

February 28th, 2018, 10:14 am #28

Bill Dulmaine's East Wind painting clipped from the Keystone publication:
East Wind Painting Combined.jpg

nhhe52

February 28th, 2018, 10:30 am #29

Can't quite make out the artists name at the lower right-hand corner, E. Buneil perhaps?
NH20EP-5.jpg

March 1st, 2018, 7:50 am #30

I find it amazing how some artists just do not do their homework. Brother Henry is absolutely correct about those ridiculous PRR signals; not to mention the Jet's location. The catenary bridge however, is correct. There was an automatic (semaphore) "NY 3.73" located on the Long Island side of Big Hell Gate on trk-3. Opposite that on trk-4 was "NY 3.74". I, and many others who worked for the RR can attest to the fact; not to mention photos, that there were never PRR signals on the NY Connecting until you got to the eastern limits of Harold in NH days or even under PC. It was Amtrak that installed position light signals at "GATE" (Bowery Bay) and other locations on the branch.
Another example of incorrect art is the Howard Fogg painting of the Freedom Train with PAs in 1948 crossing the PRR's Potomac River bridge. . .and no catenary!