An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
PCook
PCook

December 20th, 2007, 5:47 pm #11

It is nice to see that the experience and knowledge of individuals is finally getting some attention in the railroad history establishment. We let the steam designers and many of the first generation diesel designers pass away with very little mention. GM's commissioning of Franklin Reck to do books about EMD's history and personalities was one instance of direct "source" history being documented and published in the 1940s and 1950s, even if it was paid for by the corporation. Today the instances of railroad enthusiast authors seeking history directly from first person "sources" are unfortunately a rather small percentage of all railroad related writing. Doing that kind of research takes a lot of time and effort. It is nice that we have a number of people in this organization that have been willing to make that extra effort in their writing.
Several decades ago I talked with a former Chief Engineer at ALCO (now deceased) about some obscure topics involving their history in World War Two. Finding him took a "lot" of effort - a couple phone calls. He was very helpful and was amazed that I had an interest in what he and his associates had done. He said he had never been asked about the subjects by any other railroad writers.
There was an active NRHS chapter just a few miles away.
I guess maybe they were all too busy watching their slide shows to pay attention to the history right next door.
PC

Noel Weaver

December 20th, 2007, 8:12 pm #12

If the "active NRHS chapter" is the one that I think it is,
it is highballing to nowhere to quote the chapter in the
Penn Central book of years past. They have a nice
collection on paper of old locomotives from mostly the
New York Central which is being allowed to rust away in the
weeds outside of Albany. They have lost a lot of members
over the past few years and no longer even put out a
newsletter.
Today the locomotive collection faces an uncertain future
at best. The chapter can't begin to compare with the
organizations in Connecticut where things are getting done.
Noel Weaver

PCook
PCook

December 20th, 2007, 8:45 pm #13

Yes Noel, you nailed it exactly.
PC