Privacy

Noel Weaver

November 21st, 2007, 4:18 pm #1

At the present time I notice that three current topics were
started by people who are not properly logged in and we do
not know who they are.
A policy was started a while ago, which I totally agree
with, regarding indentity of people who post on here.
The only exceptions should be people who are active
railroad employees and maybe people in delicate jobs.
I am happy that FX has been restored but we still have at
least one former NHRR employee who I am aware of and his
privileges have not been restored to the best of my
knowledge while we allow people to post who are not logged
in and we do not know who they are.
In my opinion, this is not right and certainally not fair.
I would appreciate it if this condition were to be taken
care of, the sooner the better.
On a brighter thought, a HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYBODY.
Noel Weaver

November 21st, 2007, 6:28 pm #2

Noel,
Have you contacted Marc directly? He's the moderator, but he can only work his magic when aware of the problem. There's no telling just when Marc may or may not stumble over this thread, so e-mailing him directly will get your concerns addressed the fastest.
As far as privacy goes, no one ever said that folks here had to be positively identified, only that they must have a visible e-mail address in their account profile. That's it. That's all. IMHO, the forum would be a better place if everyone posted under their real name (and have the courage of their convictions), but it's not required.
If someone in a sensitive job or who is goofing off at work while posting here (and could get fired if caught) and doesn't want to be identified, it's simple. Sign up for one of the free e-mail accounts at Yahoo or Hotmail, and then enter that e-mail address when you register here. It's just that easy, and probably takes only 5 minutes or so. As long as they don't post under their real name, there's very little chance they could ever be tracked down through conventional means.

November 23rd, 2007, 11:02 am #3

Noel,
I think one of those thread was started by me. I can ownly defend myself by claiming "ignorance". I realize that is no excuse. I joined a while back and was only intrested in putting in required info at the time. I have since then tried to update my profile but how one goes about that seems to alude me. As for my handle newhavenrailfan I try to use the same one on all the forums I am signed on to. My real name is Larry Beach and my e-mail address is lbeach55@comcast.net. I am from Carver, Mass. I really don't have any thing to hide but becuase I was in a hurry and did not take the time to fill out all these things when I first joined. Now it seems I can not change things. I really did not want to lose my favorite handle so basically I haven't joined in as some other name. Of course if this is an issue then I could. However this does not fix this problem for the next guy who joins. It would seem the place to enforce the rules would be at the sign in.
NHRF
Larry Beach

nhrhta
nhrhta

November 23rd, 2007, 4:45 pm #4

To update your EzBoard profile, click on "My Control Center" and "Edit Profile". When your profile page comes up ensure that the "Show Email Address" checkbox is checked and then click the "Save Changes" button. This will expose your e-mail address in your EzBoard profile and ensure that you will not be prohibited from participating in the NHRHTA Forum.
Anybody who is experiencing difficulty gaining access to the NHRHTA Forum is encouraged to send an e-mail message to the e-mail address presented in my own EzBoard profile. Be sure to include your EzBoard ID and password when you write to me as it saves me time when troubleshooting. I'll respond as time permits (I'm very busy) and if it is appropriate to do so.
Marc J. Frattasio
NHRHTA Forum Administrator
www.nhrhta.org

November 23rd, 2007, 6:27 pm #5

Marc,
Thanks for the help, however I can not find a "My Control Center" to Click on. I am not familar with ezboard. I found this site and registered from this site(NHRHTA). I have seen it mentioned to others in other threads also but could not find it (so I gave up looking. I click on my handel and an EzBoard screen pops up but only three main links appear. Non of them refer in any way to editing or updating profile. Sorry to say I need a point in the right direction on this one. Is there an FAQ I should be looking for? It is most likely right in front of me but I cann't see the forest through the trees.
NHRF
Larry Beach

nhrhta
nhrhta

November 23rd, 2007, 8:52 pm #6

You need to be logged into EzBoard using your ID and password before you'll see the administrative features that I described above. Try doing this.
Marc J. Frattasio
NHRHTA Forum Administrator
www.nhrhta.org

November 23rd, 2007, 9:23 pm #7

Larry,
I wasn't able to log in successfully either for a long time, but a while back someone taught me the trick (provided you have a PC).
On the Forum page near the top, you should see the following:
Login | Register Your Free Account (Required) | Search | Help | Find Communities!
Now, right click on the "Login", then choose "Open in New Window".
At this point, follow the Login sequence. You'll probably have to click "No Thanks" at the bottom of the page(s) when you see the advertizements.
For some reason, this seems to work best. When I just left-click on the "Login", it never seems to work. But if I right-click and open it in a new window, it works.
You should end up back at the Forum main page. At the top of the screen where "Login" was, you should now see, "My Control Center" Left-click on that, and it will take you to your account info. Then left-click on "Edit Profile". Now you'll be able to edit your e-mail addy.
BTW, what I did was "munge" my address in my "Bio" area. For example, johndoe43 (at) yahoo (dot) com = johndoe43@yahoo.com. I dunno if it helps me avoid spam or not (so far, so good), but it appears to be acceptable to the board's management.

Noel Weaver

November 23rd, 2007, 10:53 pm #8

Thanks to all of you, I just want to see the "quality"
preserved on here.
Noel Weaver

November 24th, 2007, 7:52 am #9

Thank-you Paul, I could not have found it without your help. I believe I am in compliance now. Looks like newhavenrailfan will remain, however, I will sign off with my name at the end of each post.
Thanks,
Larry Beach
NHRF

NH746EJO

November 25th, 2007, 12:34 am #10

THANK YOU Mr. Cutler - your "trick" works. I registered but spent several frustrating days attempting to log-in until your instructions solved the problem.