Popular switch tower book reprinted

July 8th, 2018, 9:07 pm #1

The book, “The Classic Railway Signal Tower New Haven Railroad S.S.44/Berk” has been reprinted and is now available. S.S.44 / Berk and the other signal towers played in train operations, dispatching and control. The twenty (20) chapters in the book are about trains,history, technology, signaling, rail operations and people. The book is fully illustrated with approximately 76 color photos, 36 black and white photos, and 30
other graphics. Great train photos, including many by well-known New Haven Railroad photographer T. J. Donahue.

The book's author Steve McEvoy was a New Haven Railroad Tower Operator during the late 1960s. Steve later worked for the Long Island Rail Road and for engineering firms that specialize in railroads and transit systems.

The book's Foreword was written by William L.Withuhn, Curator - History of Transportation, Smithsonian Institution. Bill speaks very highly about the book in all respects.

The book may be purchased for $35.00 including S&H. Connecticut residents must add $2.22 for the 6.35% sales tax, for a total of $37.22.

Orders with checks in the correct amount should be mailed to:

WestConn Chapter NRHS
77 Washington Street
Norwalk, CT 06854

All profits from these sales go to the NRHS Chapter and the SoNo Switch Tower Museum.

frn1963

July 9th, 2018, 8:13 am #2

An excellent resource for those interested in signaling, especially on the New Haven.

Fred Nangle

Statkowski

July 9th, 2018, 8:37 am #3

frn1963 wrote: An excellent resource for those interested in signaling, especially on the New Haven.
And signaling on the New Haven was unique, and different, from signaling used on other railroads.  

September 5th, 2018, 8:38 pm #4

On July 12, 1779, The British invaded Norwalk and burned many houses and many buildings. Now 225 years later (2004) a group of Revolutionary War re-enactors were commemorating that event. They were encamped at a nearby park. During the afternoon they held a mock battle on Washington Street. The British Redcoats were right in front of the Tower and the Continentals were down on the other end of Washington Street. They were firing their muskets and cannon. The whole neighborhood was enveloped in blue smoke. I could hear the distant wail of a smoke alarm going off. During a lull in their battle, I was looking out the window on the Washington Street end on the second floor when one of the Redcoats came through the door and presented himself. He inscrolled his parchment document and said, “I declare that I shall burn down your structure per orders of King George III”. Knowing that those re-enactors are very fussy and meticulous in authenticity and correct historical fact, I said to him, “Sir, railways, trains and signal stations did not exist in the 1770’s and if you burn this down that would not be historically correct. He paused for a few seconds, glared at me and said, “Point well taken….. Carry on!”. He scrolled up his document, spun on his heel and departed. I was going to tell him to come back in 107 years in 1896 and “go for it” but I thought the better of it and didn’t. Who knows, maybe I saved SS44, SONO Switch Tower Museum on a technicality. Maybe I should have told him to come back in 1969 and burn down Penn Central but I didn’t think of it.

The SONO Switch Tower (SS44) Museum is in its 14th year of opening.  It is open noon until five Saturday and Sunday (closed Oct. 7) through to the end of October.  SS44 has operated under four railroads (New Haven RR, Penn Central, Conrail and Metro North), it has operated with the NYNH&H by far the longest.

Ron High

September 6th, 2018, 6:12 am #5

Great story, Robert Gambling thanks for the post!!
 I would highly recommend the book if you are interested in signal towers and operations you will enjoy it.
“The Classic Railway Signal Tower New Haven Railroad S.S.44/Berk”
Ron High
Last edited by Ron High on September 6th, 2018, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 6th, 2018, 6:40 am #6

Bob is has been a long time since you and I talked, but it is great to see articles like your's every now and then. your friend Bob Helwig