Plow S-18

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

Plow S-18

May 10th, 2018, 11:38 am #1

Several years ago John Kasey converted the Walthers Russell single track plow into the S-18 which was a double-track plow. The conversion was beautifully done. I eventually got the model from John almost completed and un-painted. For "funnsies" I painted it in a proposed "Matter" scheme which never happened. One could say strategically its correct, yet tactically its wrong. I got the paint scheme from The NHRR in the McGinnis Era. Plow S-18.JPG

bogman102

May 10th, 2018, 4:42 pm #2

It came out very nice Rick! I'll bet it's hot inside in the summer! The paint looks great!
Also with the paint from the boxcar behind your plow in the photo it looks as if there is a boat cleat on the top of the nose of the plow! I understand it's just an optical illusion.

jkasey
jkasey

May 11th, 2018, 9:02 am #3

In retrospect, perhaps, I should have kept it but at the time I was "brass crazy" & picked up an Overland model instead. Nicely done Rick!

May 11th, 2018, 9:17 am #4

Jim:
Guess it was more important it stayed warm in the winter!! Probably didn't get too much summer use. . .

rsullivan

May 14th, 2018, 2:01 pm #5

I love the way that Mr. Abramson's S-18 turned out in a Matter paint scheme. I also have a Walther's snow plow kit waiting kitbashing into a New Haven snow plow. We shouldn't forget the out-of-production Ambroid B&M Snow Plow kit, item #K-1. In the early 90's I modified one using the picture of S-10 on page 545 of Mr. J.W. Swanberg's New Haven Power 1836 - 1968 (1988) as my guide. Here are a few shots. The individually embosed rivets are visible up close. I made the cupola with the angled front and approximate window placement. The roofs are tissue sealed with paint to represent a canvas roof. Not sure if that was used, but there aren't any seams visible so I used the same method applied to traction equipment. I modified my kit into a two-track plow, and have a second unbuilt Ambroid kit awaiting a kitbash into a single track plow. I'll probably make it into S-6.

Snow Plow S10 pic 1.jpg
New Haven snow plow S-10 model

Thanks to the pictures on pages 13 to 15 of Mr. Robert A. Liljestrand's Rolling Stock of New England, Volume 1, New Haven Railroad Work Equipment (2001), I now know that there is a rear door on the plow and the windows of the doors were porthole style. Will also add the coupler lift bars on both ends like they are shown on pages 14 and 15. I will change my S10 to be more prototypically correct.
Richard. H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967
Snow Plow S10 pic 3.jpg
New Haven snow plow S-10 model