Passenger-Equipped Hacks

Statkowski

11:08 PM - Oct 06, 2018 #1

On a PRR forum someone claims there is no evidence of New Haven hacks making it all the way down to Washington, D.C.  Did they?  Didn't they?  The PRR forum acknowledges that they ran as far west as Pittsburgh, Pa.

We recently saw a photo of a PRR cabin car in Boston, Mass.

Did not both PRR and NH passenger-equipped cabooses operate between Washington, D.C./Pittsburgh, Pa. and Springfield/Boston, Mass.?

Personally, I remember one coming down to Oak Point, N.Y. on No. 187.  Wayne Drummond says one went east on No. 168.

Peter R Ness

10:39 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #2

Hi Henry,
Saw your post in the other thread as well.  Unfortunately I have nothing concrete to offer except the blob atop my neck.  From recollection I recall a photo of a NH NE-2 or NE3 caboose in Sunnyside. This may have been a PRRH&TS photo (Keystone maybe?). Caption may have mentioned M&E service to DC.  Also recall a b/w photo of a New Haven caboose on tail of M&E train captioned it ran in M&E service between DC and Boston.  From memory the photo was of poor quality such that the caboose number could not even be read...but I think there was a section of PRR catenary in the photo, so could be true...

Regards,
Peter