Passenger Car Consists

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
rsullivan

March 8th, 2018, 12:36 pm #11

Mr. Statkowski. The only editing by BHI Publications that I could tell was not including the front and back covers. The reformating consisted of putting some pages side-by-side on one page, and making them a consistent 8.5"x11" format. Otherwise, I believe the Passenger Train Consist (PTC) books and all the other remakes of railroad books they publish are just publications of railroad originals in their format. 
    You said "... in order to get a "more accurate" consist one must also cross-check, train by train, the individual car assignments in the front of the book, and the storage mail/RPO assignments..." I found that true in all three of my PTCs. Hopefully Mr. Sheridan will include the  storage mail/RPO assignments on the spreadsheets, and include the caveat you stated.
Richard (short form) #3967

Statkowski

March 8th, 2018, 9:45 pm #12

Just out of curiosity I looked up No. 168, the Montrealer, from the April 1941 "Normal Through Train Consists" book (as opposed to an abnormal, strange or unusual train consists book?).

Anyway, minus any special notes or days operating, here's a quick listing of what's on the train:
1 Express, Washington-Boston -- Note 1
1 Express, Cincinnati-Springfield
1 Express, Pittsburgh-Boston -- Note 2
1 Express, Chicago-New Haven
1 Storage, Penn. Sta.-Boston -- Note 2
1 Storage, Penn. Sta.-Portland
1 Apartment, Penn. Sta.-Springfield
1 Coach, Washington-Springfield
1 Combine, Washington-Montreal
1 Coach, Washington-Montreal
1 Sleeper, Washington-Montreal
1 Sleeper, Washington-Montreal
1 Sleeper, New York-Montreal -- Note 3
1 Sleeper, New York-St. Albans -- Note 3
1 Sleeper, New Haven-Bretton Woods -- Note 4
1 Parlor, Washington-Springfield
1 Sleeper, Washington-New Haven -- Note 5
1 Sleeper, Washington-New Haven -- Note 6

Note 1:  This express car gets handed off to No. 178, a mail & express train, at New Haven.  Go to the No. 178 listing, and there's no mention of a Washington-Boston car coming from No. 168.
Note 2:  Since No. 168 didn't go to Boston, this car had to be handed off to another train at New Haven.  Was it No. 178?  The No. 168 listing doesn't show it being handed off to anything, and the No. 178 listing doesn't show anything, either.
Note 3:  Did these cars originate in G.C.T.?  "New York" in other listings is used for G.C.T., while "Penn. Sta." is used for Penn. Sta.
Note 4:  A sleeping car originating at New Haven?  If it originated in G.C.T., it doesn't say what train it came off of.
Note 5:  In this car's notes it continues on to Bretton Woods on No. 166, but it's not the same car as the other Bretton Woods car.
Note 6:  This one continues on to Hyannis on No. 102, so why isn't it shown as a Washington-Hyannis car?

Now, pop to the back of the book for the Railway Mail Service Authorization listing, and it shows a 30 ft. Apartment from Penn. Sta. to Springfield, which is shown in the consist, but also shows two Storage Mail cars from Penn. Sta. to Springfield, which are not shown in the consist.

And that's just one train from one consist book.  

Peter R Ness

April 27th, 2018, 1:10 pm #13

Hi John,
I can't commit to support the work right now, but for data I think my small collection is already covered by others: PTCs for April 1937, Sep 1952, Oct 1955, Oct 1957, Oct 1962. Let me know if I have anything needed.

However, I know there is not much info available for 1958-1960 in general and wanted to share this site which is a PRR site, but has information in 58/59 on consists for Federal, Colonial, Patriot, etc.  

As an added bonus, the Oct 1958 PTC, which seems to be edited for April 1959 as well, lists NH Mail/Express consists on the last few pages!  Link:http://pennsyrr.com/index.php/passenger ... -of-trains
In particular I downloaded the "1958, October 26, Consists of New York-Washington Trains; New York-Philadelphia Trains; Hell Gate Bridge Trains. Courtesy of Jerry Britton" pdf.

Hope this resource helps others.

If I try to document any consist it will be for the Patriot.  If I'm successful I'll let you know, and maybe I can to 1-2 more.

Regards,
Peter

James Fellows

April 27th, 2018, 5:12 pm #14

John,

I have a few consist list on my shared google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByZC4JhsVa3dRDd1S3ZQSUhuakE?usp=sharing

Jim Fellows

rsullivan

April 27th, 2018, 6:01 pm #15

James Fellows wrote: John,

I have a few consist list on my shared google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByZC4JhsVa3dRDd1S3ZQSUhuakE?usp=sharing

Jim Fellows
Mr. Jim. Thank you very much for sharing your link. I'm sure it will greatly help Mr. Sheridan with his project.

Does anyone know why the New Haven RR almost never used the 30th and never the 31st for the start date on any of their train books? At least not on any that I've seen. Thanks.

Statkowski

April 27th, 2018, 6:22 pm #16

Didn't the start date coincide with the time change between Daylight Savings Time and Standard Time?  In such a case, the New Haven wasn't the one setting the time.

rsullivan

April 27th, 2018, 6:24 pm #17

Statkowski wrote: Didn't the start date coincide with the time change between Daylight Savings Time and Standard Time?  In such a case, the New Haven wasn't the one setting the time.
Thank you Mr. Statkowski. As usual you seem to have an answer.