Parlor Car decals

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

Parlor Car decals

NH in VA

March 2nd, 2018, 8:47 pm #1

I have two questions regarding the decals Rapido provides with the Parlors, so I thought it might be useful to start a new thread on this topic specifically.  The decals look great - no complaints.
First off, when I compare Rapido's decals to Microscale's, the former are much more bold and therefore more visible.  Which of the two is correct?  I hope it's Rapido's, but if so then I have some other cars that are now incorrect as they were done with the Microscale sets.
Secondly, where exactly do the car numbers - those itty bitty things - get placed?  Wayne Drummond's great Parlor article in Shoreliner says "on the end sheets".  If there were four sets of the individual numbers, this would be simple to figure.  Since they are small, I assume they are placed where the maintenance guys can see them.  My guess would be that they are at the vestibule end - both of them, one on each side - where a maintainer can see it then climb the steps of the right car.  If the answer is that it should be four, then for anyone with two or more Parlors they have the four sets of numbers covered.
Thanks for the answers.  And thanks again for the team that got this project hatched and delivered.

rsullivan

March 2nd, 2018, 10:31 pm #2

Mr. NH in VA. On page 62 of Mr. Geoffrey H. Doughty's The New Haven Railroad in the Streamline Era there are three pictures that show the ends of County Series parlor cars. While these are not the parlor / parlor-lounge cars we received (will receive), they show the location you are speaking of. The top picture is of Fairfield County in the original baggage-buffet-parlor-lounge configuration. The vestibule end is showing, and there are two small lighter shade of silver the size of the numbers about even with the top bolt of the lower end of the handrail, and directly below the marker lamp. It appears to have been painted over. 
     The second picture is of Plymouth County after rebuilding into the 2-drawing rooms-buffet-parlor-lounge configuration. It shows the B end, and both sets of numbers even with the loop of the uncoupler lever, and directly below the brake wheel.
     The third picture is of the Putnam County after the conversion into the 2-drawing rooms-buffet-parlor-lounge configuration. It shows the A end, and no numbers are visible. Those are the only pictures of parlor cars in this book with the ends visbile.
     On page 84 of his The New Haven Railroad's Streamline Passenger Fleet 1934 - 1953 the 36-seat parlor car Attleboro shows the numbers on both sides on the vestibule end. The numbers are about even with the top bolt of the lower end of the handrail, and a little more inwards and about even with the center of the marker lamp. 
    I wasn't able to find pictures in my other books where the ends were illuminated enough to see the numbers on the parlor cars. Based upon the pictures, I would recommend placing the number decals on both sides about level with the bolt for the bottom of the handrails, and just inboard of the centerline directly below the marker lamps, or directly under the brake wheel. If you find a picture where the numbers have been painted over, that could be duplicated easily with a streak of silver paint that is lighter and doesn't match the Rapido's paint. However, when I receive mine (and get to working on them), I'll be placing the numbers on each car on all four corners. Unless one of the railroaders or others more knowledgeable than I says otherwise. Hope this helps some.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967

NH in VA

March 2nd, 2018, 11:58 pm #3

Richard -
Thank you.  I knew I'd seen at least a couple of pictures some time back, but didn't recall where. After reading your post it made me remember I had a reference I should have thought to check: "The Official Pullman - Standard Library, Volume 10 Northeast Railroads", Randall & Anderson.  Sure enough, on Page 69 there are shots of the ends of two parlor cars, the B end of 303 and the A end of 317.  Both cars have numbers on the visible end sheets.  Both cars are in the delivery scheme.  I also saw a SS Diner with numbers on the B end (no vestibule end of course) on page 49, and a sleeper (501) numbered on the vestibule end on page 71.
I'd conclude the answer is that it is probably numbered on both ends, on both sides of the diaphram.  The numbers may not have lasted,  or they may have been hard to see due to the sun angle in some photos.  I model in 1958 so I'll go with four numbers absent other guidance posted.
John

March 3rd, 2018, 5:39 am #4

Here ya go boys. . . parlor number location 001.jpg

rsullivan

March 3rd, 2018, 6:00 am #5

But Mr. Abramson, 🤔 how do you know that the parlor car #312 is the Attleboro without seeing the name plate? 😗😁😆
Richard (short form) #3967

March 5th, 2018, 6:55 pm #6

It doesn't matter. The end numbers were all in the same location.😉

NH in VA

March 5th, 2018, 10:48 pm #7

I expect the numbers were not intended for the public.

Still haven't heard anyone chime in on my comment about the lettering being more bold on the Rapido decals vice the Microscale set.

michael78651

March 6th, 2018, 12:07 pm #8

The bolder lettering makes it easier to see the numbers on the models. Operators on my layout had difficulty spotting the numbers, so I changed out the "regular" numbers for the bolder ones. Whether accurate or not, older eyes have trouble seeing tiny faint numbers on a tiny piece of plastic.

rsullivan

March 6th, 2018, 12:17 pm #9

Mr. NH in VA. With Rapido Trains' attention to even detail inside of the cars that won't be seen, I would suggest that the Rapido Trains' decal lettering size is closer to prototype size when scaled out than Microscale's. However, that is my opinion as I don't possess a micrometer to measure the lettering sizes on the decals and actual photographs of the specific cars. That's my two-cents worth of opinion (which is all I can afford right now after paying for my parlor/parlor-lounge cars).
Richard (short form) #3967

John Sheridan

March 6th, 2018, 12:37 pm #10

The Microscale NH sets were done by yours truly back in the 1990s. I did them based on the info at the time. By today's standards they are, shall we say, a bit outdated in some respects. 

The Rapido Decals were done by Bill Schneider just last year. They are far more accurate.& more to scale then the older microscale sets. Why ? much more data has come to light that has made them more accurate.