Parlor Car decals

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
NH in VA

March 6th, 2018, 3:38 pm #11

John -
Thanks for that.
John

rsullivan

March 6th, 2018, 3:56 pm #12

Mr. Sheridan. You should be both thanked and complimented for your work on the Microscale decal sets on the New Haven. I'm not a nitpicker and think the decals look fine on my older models.
Richard (short form) #3967

michael78651

March 6th, 2018, 5:31 pm #13

I second those sentiments. The Microscale decals, and the Accucal sets were the bread-and-butter for creating NH equipment out of ordinary plastic!

NH in VA

March 6th, 2018, 9:59 pm #14

John -
Have you heard the LEXINGTON has been found and photographed?  You mastered a resin model of her in a previous life, didn't you?

Sorry to break thread.  Only way I knew to pass the word.

John

John Sheridan

March 7th, 2018, 8:02 am #15

NH in VA wrote: John -
Have you heard the LEXINGTON has been found and photographed?  You mastered a resin model of her in a previous life, didn't you?

Sorry to break thread.  Only way I knew to pass the word.

John
Yes, I saw that & Yes, I did manufacture a model of the lexington. Can't wait to see more shots of it - especially the Island. Maybe we can solve the square gun tub issue once & for all. 😁

John Sheridan

March 7th, 2018, 8:04 am #16

rsullivan wrote: Mr. NH in VA. On page 62 of Mr. Geoffrey H. Doughty's The New Haven Railroad in the Streamline Era there are three pictures that show the ends of County Series parlor cars. While these are not the parlor / parlor-lounge cars we received (will receive), they show the location you are speaking of. The top picture is of Fairfield County in the original baggage-buffet-parlor-lounge configuration. The vestibule end is showing, and there are two small lighter shade of silver the size of the numbers about even with the top bolt of the lower end of the handrail, and directly below the marker lamp. It appears to have been painted over. 
     The second picture is of Plymouth County after rebuilding into the 2-drawing rooms-buffet-parlor-lounge configuration. It shows the B end, and both sets of numbers even with the loop of the uncoupler lever, and directly below the brake wheel.
     The third picture is of the Putnam County after the conversion into the 2-drawing rooms-buffet-parlor-lounge configuration. It shows the A end, and no numbers are visible. Those are the only pictures of parlor cars in this book with the ends visbile.
     On page 84 of his The New Haven Railroad's Streamline Passenger Fleet 1934 - 1953 the 36-seat parlor car Attleboro shows the numbers on both sides on the vestibule end. The numbers are about even with the top bolt of the lower end of the handrail, and a little more inwards and about even with the center of the marker lamp. 
    I wasn't able to find pictures in my other books where the ends were illuminated enough to see the numbers on the parlor cars. Based upon the pictures, I would recommend placing the number decals on both sides about level with the bolt for the bottom of the handrails, and just inboard of the centerline directly below the marker lamps, or directly under the brake wheel. If you find a picture where the numbers have been painted over, that could be duplicated easily with a streak of silver paint that is lighter and doesn't match the Rapido's paint. However, when I receive mine (and get to working on them), I'll be placing the numbers on each car on all four corners. Unless one of the railroaders or others more knowledgeable than I says otherwise. Hope this helps some.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967
The Official Painting Diagrams I have for these cars shows the numbers on both sides using 1" numbers.

EdwardStewart

March 10th, 2018, 12:28 am #17

FYI,  Didn't see it mentioned but Rapido spelt "Pawtucket" with 2 T's on the end .on the decal sheet, not sure of the car,(I don't have it)

March 29th, 2018, 8:00 am #18

Accucals were some of the finest decals made. Long before the info we have on the NH today, George Bishop who made Accucals and Accupaints in the early 1970s made the most accurate NH decals and paints. To this date, his decals still hold their accuracy!

April 8th, 2018, 7:36 am #19

Several years ago Microscale issued some New Haven decals for the Warm Orange/Hunter and Pullman Green schemes. The Warm Orange on the script heralds was way too pale; not even close to the accuracy of the Accucals. They also issued some McGinnis era decals where the "NH's" were not properly proportioned.

rsullivan

April 8th, 2018, 8:57 am #20

EdwardStewart wrote: FYI,  Didn't see it mentioned but Rapido spelt "Pawtucket" with 2 T's on the end .on the decal sheet, not sure of the car,(I don't have it)
     Mr. Stewart. Mr. NH in VA posted post #30 on the "NH Parlor Car Issues" thread at 21:55 on March 5, 2018 with the same observation with a possible method of correcting it. He said, "Almost hate to point this out, so I'll just whisper it very quietly.  Pawtucket is not spelled "Pawtuckett".  Can be fixed in one of two ways.  Gently scrape the offending second 'T' off the board (name will then not be centered).  Or, get two new letter boards from an unnamed car, or a buddy with one, and put a new decal on it, centered and sans second 'T'.
Please, Jason, don't send us all a second car just for . . . .  Well, maybe . . ."
     I had received a Pawtucket car decaled by the stupendous Mr. Dave Clinton, and when I checked it out it had the double "TT's." I emailed Mr. Dave and explained that I understood he just decaled the cars and probably didn't double check the spellings since Rapido's attention to detail is so mind boggling (you could show them in a Railroad Prototype Modelers (RPM) and probably be respected), and asked if he still had any name boards left. Mr. Dave apologized and said he wasn't aware of the problem until the post on the thread. He did and I received two new name boards and instructions for changing them out right away. The NHRHTA is lucky to have Mr. Dave volunteering all of his time and talents, and I thank him for everything he does.
Richard (short form) #3967