Nothing could finer than dinner in the diner

October 6th, 2003, 8:07 am #1

Dining on the Shore Line Route
Great book so far. Ah memories. I remember the childs menu. I even remember the sandwhich vendors.
And once I was in one of the Hill cars at GCT.
I remember it was a very hot day and this was the only
car with working AC,I was in it for about 20 seconds,
I was only about 9 or 10 years old at the time.

October 6th, 2003, 11:45 am #2

Well, if you can't have a reality "dinner in the diner" nowadays, the best next thing is Marc Frattasio's excellent new book. Man, he's got two hits out in the last coupla months what with the McGinnis book already one of the leaders in NHRR historical reference books. And, if after you've read all about the New Haven's superior dining car service, you still want a real "dinner in the diner", turn to the back few pages of Marc's Diner Book, pick out a menu from the official NH recipe book listings, and head for the kitchen and light the stove===next best thing to being there. Outstanding job, Marc!
EdS

October 6th, 2003, 12:00 pm #3

I'm pleased that a couple of people who bought copies of "Dining on the Shore Line Route" in Bourne last Saturday are happy with it. However, anybody else who wants a copy will have to wait until sometime after October 13th. I had a few copies available at the Bourne train show by special arrangement with the printer and publisher and these are gone. All other copies of "Dining on the Shore Line Route" are being held by the printer until another TLC title has been printed so that both books can be shipped to the publisher at the same time to save money. This is supposed to happen on or about October 13th. The bottom line is that it will still be a couple of weeks before this book goes into general distribution.

October 17th, 2003, 2:00 pm #4

As a Dining Car Employee after serving in the US Navy in the early 50's I was elated to be a small part of your project doing this book, I been there...done that..but could never have accomplished this wonderful history and experiences people have had during this great era of our time. Thank you for the lovely reunion with the Grill Car Girls, I will remember it always. You know what my Christmas gifts are going to be this year, will need about 35, TANKS A LOT.
See you all at the NHRHTA Annual Reunion and Show in November.

Statkowski

October 22nd, 2003, 9:04 pm #5

My copy of "Dining on the Shore Line Route" arrived today. Thank you, Marc. Just had a chance to scan through it, can't wait to really dive into it.
My wife, after also looking at it, was wondering if it should go into my railroad library or her kitchen library. After seeing the recipes, she won.
My wife was wondering where she could get a copy of the actual New Haven recipe book. PRR.Railfan.net has the PRR Dining Car Department's "Cooking Instructions" book in .pdf format. Would such a project be do-able for this site? I'd volunteer, but I own neither the New Haven book nor the full-blown version of Adobe Acrobat.

October 22nd, 2003, 9:28 pm #6

Thanks for the kind words Henry. I put a lot of work into "Dining on the Shore Line Route". Tell your wife that the Butterscotch Biscuits 1-D recipe makes an easy to make and very tasty Saturday morning breakfast treat.
Regarding the actual NHRR dining car department standard recipe book. I own an original and I have considered from time to time having it duplicated. Unfortunately, doing this would certainly destroy it as it would have to be taken completely apart to scan it correctly. Additionally, prior experience has taught me that the people who do such work often take little care of what falls into their hands. The fact of the matter is that there are only a small handful of these old recipe books in existance and I'm reluctant to sacrifice one of the precious few that survived into the present day.
Having said this, I had transcribed every original recipe in the standard recipe book for "Dining on the Shore Line Route". Unfortunately, TLC's page count limit forced about 2/3rds of these recipes to be cut from the final volume. The good news is that my 288 page original first draft manuscript, complete with all the recipes from the NHRR standard recipe book, has been bound and will be handed over to the University of Connecticut for preservation, along with a copy of the finished book. Thus, you will be able to peruse all the original NHRR recipes in their entirety at UCON. I anticipate handing this material over to Laura Katz-Smith at the NHRHTA Annual Reunion train show in early November.

Statkowski

October 23rd, 2003, 6:43 pm #7

Marc: Regarding the Butterscotch Biscuits, I'm the one up early on Saturday mornings. Oh well.
Just finished reading about the Grill Car Girls. Loved it. Your writings made them almost seem like family (but, being an ex-New Havener, they were family, but you know what I mean).
One problem - our favorite dish. The menu lists Broiled Schrod, but the recipe section doesn't. Could you post that recipe here? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with Boston Baked Beans on it?

October 23rd, 2003, 7:25 pm #8

They certainly had their flavor that Mr. Birdseye (yes, that was a guy's name) never quite eumpated.
All told, my favorite was the Chopped Sirloin cooked to order (if you wanted it rare that is how you got it). Possibly one of the ladies at Marc's reunion had occasion to serve such to me.

October 24th, 2003, 3:47 pm #9

The NHRR recipe book did not feature a specific broiled scrod recipe. I've been told that the broiled scrod (and other broiled fish) were prepared per recipe 5-M for Broiled Halibut. That one's in "Dining on the Shore Line Route". Give it a try and let me know how you like it. The problem, of course, is that unless you have a charcoal broiler you won't be able to exactly duplicate the taste or the smell...

Marlin
Marlin

October 25th, 2003, 12:06 am #10

I agree with Gil - My favorite was the chopped steak, rare, which was always cooked wonderfully. I rode the Merchant's Limited every weekend to and from Boston for two years while my children's mother was in college at Wheelock and I at Rutgers.
My SOP was to secure a parlor seat and while in New York State to order a couple drinks in the diner before dinner, which was legal in New York and if already purchased, could be drunk in Connecticut. I would sip on the drinks and then order the chopped steak and all the trimmings for my meal.
Those two years of rides each weekend were a highlight in my life and are some of the fondest New Haven memories. All was reasonably priced and the comfort, along with the superb food, couldn't be matched anywhere. If I were to be afforded a chance "to go back", it would be to duplicate those very fine leisurely spent weekend rides both to and from. Occasionally I would follow the same routine on the Clipper if I were able to get to GCT before it left at 1300.