Thieu
Thieu

February 22nd, 2018, 11:50 pm #11

Btw, the second ACTS engine on the picture is a Belgian diesel. The electric brought the train to a yard near the customer, and the diesel did the last part of the trip on tracks without catenary. ACTS was not big enough to have facilities in each part of the country, so this was their solution.

rivermanvt

March 10th, 2018, 5:14 am #12

rsullivan wrote: Thanks Mr. Flatcar99 for this tribute to the New Haven EP-5s. I see it is numbered for the GFN. Is that possibly the Grand Funk Network? I see that Fleischmann avoided the controversy of modelling the third rail pickup shoes in either the raised or lowered position by just not including them on the trucks. Prior to Rapido announcing their production of the EP-5, I was seriously comparing the Marklin NS EETC Class 1200 Electric Locomotive, MFX+ w/Sound for a kitbash donor locomotive. It would require so many modifications, that I decided that scratch building one would be easier, take less time, and be more cost effective.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967
Why do we even care to waste bandwidth on this non-New Haven garbage??

Don Valentine - Life member

rsullivan

March 10th, 2018, 6:42 am #13

Mr. Valentine. I see the posting pictures of faux or non-New Haven locomtives and rolling stock serves two purposes. First, it provides some humor to the Forum while showcasing someone's idea of Keeping the Spirit of the New Haven Alive. Second, I see it also as an educational function since it provides regular viewers and visitors to the Forum examples of what is being offered as New Haven equipment for sale and exhibit. That actually benefits the readers by providing a caveat emptor or buyer beware warning to those who view that specific thread.
    That's my opinion regarding the "waste bandwidth on this non-New Haven garbage." Others may disagree and feel the same as you do.
Richard (short form) #3967

NH746EJO

March 10th, 2018, 10:23 am #14

GARBAGE ? ? ?
I was interested in knowing what prototype Fleischman used for the New Haven model so appreciated seeing some fine photos of the Belgian power.  I think there is a need to keep the image of the New Haven alive so I don't think even incorrect models in NH livery are a bad thing.  They may arouse curiosity and generate interest in the New Haven and it is good to see that manufacturers think New Haven sells.  Some say even bad publicity is better than none at all.  A lot of people started with toy-like models but graduated to accurate products.  Exposing modelers to the New Haven, even non-New haven may lead to better things in the future.  Yes, you can say manufactures and modelers shouldn't be wasting money on inaccurate products but it's not a perfect world.

Thieu
Thieu

March 10th, 2018, 11:48 am #15

Fleischmann was just 'lazy' and took an engine that looked somewhat American. I don't know when they released the model, but I think in the sixties.

And apparently, they built some other American models:
New Haven 2.jpg
New Haven.jpg

March 10th, 2018, 5:57 pm #16

The F unit must have  been lettered at the height of Oktoberfest, with the "modeler" well into the hops at that point. I believe my infant grandson could have done as good a job, maybe better.  Ah well.

Derek Thompson
Toronto, Ontario

# 0668

DBrion

March 11th, 2018, 12:14 am #17

The Fleischmann F unit is an Alco, so it is a close call on that one.  The Fleischmann paint scheme is another version of a manufacturer's license on getting it wrong.  The Fleischmann electric unit was their attempt to provide a dual cab engine for the American market, albeit a very poor one.

Having stated the foregoing, none of these Fleischmann models represents garbage, laziness or wasted bandwidth.  These commercially available models were offered even though on this forum they may be classified as “Groaners” and, as posted previously, they are educational in bringing the entire NH modeling history to light for those less knowledgeable than this forum’s membership. 

Thieu
Thieu

March 11th, 2018, 1:54 am #18

I would like to have such an oldie, just for the fun. Indeed, it is a piece of history. These were apparently the models we had to deal with. Today, we are becoming spoiled with so many accurate New Haven models.

BX10
BX10

March 11th, 2018, 9:55 am #19

How true it is back in the day when I was just a young lad and I didn't know accurate from false, I would try to get anything with the New Haven name on it.
 Remember the REVELL  HO engine house kit that showed a New Haven cab unit in front of it?
 I had to have one after all it showed a New Haven engine so this building had to be correct for the New Haven right? And then there was the old ATHERN boxes with the Fogg  NH RS-2s as the box art, but what was in the box was not New Haven

Bill

DBrion

March 11th, 2018, 1:04 pm #20

BX10 wrote: How true it is back in the day when I was just a young lad and I didn't know accurate from false, I would try to get anything with the New Haven name on it.
 Remember the REVELL  HO engine house kit that showed a New Haven cab unit in front of it?
 I had to have one after all it showed a New Haven engine so this building had to be correct for the New Haven right? And then there was the old ATHERN boxes with the Fogg  NH RS-2s as the box art, but what was in the box was not New Haven

Bill
Bill,

Thanks for reminding us of your observations.  What I find classical is that the decisions by Revell and Athearn in the late '50s - early '60s to advertise their product packaging showing NHRR rolling stock actually carried over in their commitment to produce many models of NH equipment, whether accurate or not.  They offered many NH locos/cars.  Even though they each offered F7s (plastic FL9s were 60 years in the making) at least Revell got the Matter paint scheme correct ... Athearn used a hybrid JQA scheme.  Years ago these were classic; today they are groaners (with fond memories). 🙂