NH X-Trooper Express Cars

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

NH X-Trooper Express Cars

nhhe52
Member
Joined: 26 Mar 2004, 05:19

29 Jan 2018, 13:57 #1

If you are interested, RailDetail will be making the NH X-trooper express cars, with NH prototypical modifications in both the black and green paint schemes, ready to run:
www.raildetail.com
352-241-6407

No affiliation,

Ed
Troop Express 1.jpg
This below is the lettering on the green paint scheme but on a very rusted green express car:
Troop Express 7.jpg
Reply
Like

nhhe52
Member
Joined: 26 Mar 2004, 05:19

29 Jan 2018, 14:13 #2

Was the trooper express car "green" paint scheme Hunter Green or Pullman Green?

Ed
Reply
Like

John Sheridan
Member
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 20:07

29 Jan 2018, 18:11 #3

So, Al is going to swap out the car sides with new ones ? 

If he's using the stock walthers car, that car is incorrect for NH.
Reply
Like

nhhe52
Member
Joined: 26 Mar 2004, 05:19

29 Jan 2018, 18:23 #4

He said he was modifying the Walters cars, to what extent I'm not sure.   Considering the $25-$35 price range most likely it will be "close enough" as opposed to an exact replica.

Ed
Reply
Like

jkasey
Member
jkasey
Member
Joined: 06 Jul 2017, 14:31

30 Jan 2018, 01:02 #5

The troop sleepers were repainted Hunter Green after acquisition from the government and then black during the McGinnis regime.
I personally think they look better in the black scheme. Concord Junction made some kits years ago with brass sides that were nice and Model Railroad Warehouse has some brass sides as well for the Walthers cars (OOP). Also, I believe Red Ball made some kits as well. Check this blog by Joe Smith on how he did a Walthers car.      
http://signalstation199.blogspot.com/se ... %20Sleeper

Having provided the drawings for the lettering I'll vouch that the decals are spot on. Great decals.

John
Reply
Like

nhhe52
Member
Joined: 26 Mar 2004, 05:19

30 Jan 2018, 14:27 #6

jkasey wrote: The troop sleepers were repainted Hunter Green after acquisition from the government and then black during the McGinnis regime.
I personally think they look better in the black scheme. Concord Junction made some kits years ago with brass sides that were nice and Model Railroad Warehouse has some brass sides as well for the Walthers cars (OOP). Also, I believe Red Ball made some kits as well. Check this blog by Joe Smith on how he did a Walthers car.      
http://signalstation199.blogspot.com/se ... %20Sleeper

Having provided the drawings for the lettering I'll vouch that the decals are spot on. Great decals.

John
I don't believe Al intends to replace the sides so these will have to be "close enough" at the very reasonable cost and Al's painting and decal works appears to be excellent.  Perhaps I'll search for the sides and if I can find them I'll ask Al what the cost would be for him to rebuild them from the Walthers cars he has.

The image of the green car on the decal package appears to be closer to Pullman than Hunter so that's why I asked about the green color.

Ed
Reply
Like

Bill Sample
Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2003, 08:26

30 Jan 2018, 17:04 #7

The RMNE has two of these cars - 3008 (painted in the McGinnis scheme) and 3040 (painted in green with closely spaced lettering).  As we had done these back in the 1980s they both could use a repaint now.  The 3008 is in use as a wood shop car and was re-fitted with original Allied Full-Cushion trucks, and the 3040 may become a utility car on our passenger train.
A couple of questions:  Does anyone know when the Allied trucks were replaced, and were these cars used on the former Naugy to Waterbury?
Thanks for any help on this! 
Reply
Like

nhhe52
Member
Joined: 26 Mar 2004, 05:19

30 Jan 2018, 17:52 #8

Bill Sample wrote: The RMNE has two of these cars - 3008 (painted in the McGinnis scheme) and 3040 (painted in green with closely spaced lettering).  As we had done these back in the 1980s they both could use a repaint now.  The 3008 is in use as a wood shop car and was re-fitted with original Allied Full-Cushion trucks, and the 3040 may become a utility car on our passenger train.
A couple of questions:  Does anyone know when the Allied trucks were replaced, and were these cars used on the former Naugy to Waterbury?
Thanks for any help on this! 
There is a statement on the Model RR Warehouse website page for the x-trooper express car sides that, . . . it is not appropriate for the trooper cars to use Allied Full Cushioned trucks as they were outlawed in 1953.

Ed
Reply
Like

jkasey
Member
jkasey
Member
Joined: 06 Jul 2017, 14:31

30 Jan 2018, 18:43 #9

I have posted a photo of a troop sleeper that I did over a year ago & decaled with Rail Details set. The sides are from Model RR Warehouse using a Walthers car as a start. The doors on these sides are a little too wide but can be narrowed using some styrene on each side. For the most part I followed Joe Smith's on his website.

Hunter Green was used on passenger cars from 1930-1948 & on locomotives from 1945-1948 & since they came to NH in 1945 its a good bet they were #212 Hunter Green.
The photo of NH 3040 was posted to show the color Hunter Green & how it deteriorates to a blue-ish hue over time.  

Bill Sample, would you know where that photo of 3040 was taken? At Essex perhaps?

John IMG_3519.JPG NH Troop sleeper 3040.jpg
Reply
Like

Bill Sample
Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2003, 08:26

31 Jan 2018, 16:54 #10

jkasey wrote: I have posted a photo of a troop sleeper that I did over a year ago & decaled with Rail Details set. The sides are from Model RR Warehouse using a Walthers car as a start. The doors on these sides are a little too wide but can be narrowed using some styrene on each side. For the most part I followed Joe Smith's on his website.

Hunter Green was used on passenger cars from 1930-1948 & on locomotives from 1945-1948 & since they came to NH in 1945 its a good bet they were #212 Hunter Green.
The photo of NH 3040 was posted to show the color Hunter Green & how it deteriorates to a blue-ish hue over time.  

Bill Sample, would you know where that photo of 3040 was taken? At Essex perhaps?

JohnIMG_3519.JPGNH Troop sleeper 3040.jpg
Close, John -  RMNE / VRR Saybrook Yard.  That was paint that we (then the CVRM) applied back c1985, IIRC using NHRHTA information.  We found a couple of other car numbers stenciled inside the car may have been 36xx series.
Reply
Like