RApplegate

March 11th, 2018, 6:00 pm #31

"I've completed testing of my Alco S2 cab to fit the Atlas S2. It is now available for sale in my store on the Shapeways site: https://www.shapeways.com/product/edit/AF6PCM86N"
Clicking on the link resulted in Shapeways saying they could not find the page (for me).  However, selecting the product code and searching for that worked fine.  You have provide very detailed instructions and tips.

mredden

March 11th, 2018, 8:17 pm #32

Sorry about the bad link. I must've been logged in to Shapeways when I copied the link. Please try this: https://www.shapeways.com/product/AF6PC ... arketplace. Please let me know if you're still having problems.

Today I checked the fit of an MV 136 clear lens for use in the cab rear light. It fit perfectly, as it should for a 12" housing. I picked up some new ones yesterday at A A Hobbies in Warwick, RI. Very well stocked store if you're ever in the Providence area. I had bought a bunch of MV 136 lenses on EBay, but when I tried them in the cab they were too small. My calipers measured them at 0.125". Must've been a batch that was packaged incorrectly?!

Mike Redden

mredden

April 8th, 2018, 10:17 pm #33

I now have a low profile cab to fit the Proto 2000 S1 up for sale in my Shapeways shop - https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ho-model-details. The Proto 2000 S1 version is made two scale inches taller so the cab front will properly clear the curved top of the hood.

There is a slight deflection in the thin window mullions on the sides of the cab. There is a recess in the back of the sides, front and back of the cab for adding 0.015" clear styrene window glazing. Once the glazing is added the window mullions will be straightened.

I hope to have some models completed in time for the NE Proto Meet.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Mike Redden Proto S1 cab3.jpg Proto S1 cab 2.jpg proto S1 cab.jpg

Statkowski

April 8th, 2018, 11:45 pm #34

Where's the whistle on the hood?

mredden

April 9th, 2018, 6:07 am #35

I haven't modeled the whistle yet. I have some Custom Finishing #103 whistles I'm planning on using. I've had some trouble modeling a small radius solid elbow for the piping in Sketchup, so I'll be ordering some elbows from Precision Scale.

John Sheridan

April 9th, 2018, 8:58 am #36

mredden wrote: I now have a low profile cab to fit the Proto 2000 S1 up for sale in my Shapeways shop - https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ho-model-details. The Proto 2000 S1 version is made two scale inches taller so the cab front will properly clear the curved top of the hood.

There is a slight deflection in the thin window mullions on the sides of the cab. There is a recess in the back of the sides, front and back of the cab for adding 0.015" clear styrene window glazing. Once the glazing is added the window mullions will be straightened.

Mike ReddenProto S1 cab3.jpgProto S1 cab 2.jpgproto S1 cab.jpg
I see you beefed-up those walls a tad Mike. Great job.!

mredden

April 9th, 2018, 2:54 pm #37

John Sheridan wrote:
mredden wrote: I now have a low profile cab to fit the Proto 2000 S1 up for sale in my Shapeways shop - https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ho-model-details. The Proto 2000 S1 version is made two scale inches taller so the cab front will properly clear the curved top of the hood.

Mike ReddenProto S1 cab3.jpgProto S1 cab 2.jpgproto S1 cab.jpg
I see you beefed-up those walls a tad Mike. Great job.!
Yes John, I had to go two rounds of design to make things thick enough. I recall learning something about scaling in my 12th grade physics class. It was just a little too long ago to remember any specifics that may have helped me in the design process.

Mike

mredden

April 30th, 2018, 10:55 pm #38

Latest update:

I've completed a 2D vector graphics design for window glazing for the Alco S1 and S2 cabs. I can cut window glazing sets from 0.010 clear styrene on the Cricut machine. The 2D design is taken directly from the Sketchup 3D model so they fit perfectly. I can send a set to anyone for $5 including shipping. Additional sets in the same order will be $3.

I've also added a rear handrail bending jig on Shapeways. It can only be ordered in  white or black strong and flexible plastic for $2 or so. I haven't tried them yet, as I just finished them tonight. I don't expect any problems with it.

Finally, I will be ordering Proto S1 and Atlas S2 (and possibly S1 if it fits) cab kits to bring to the Enfield meet. I will also bring along window sets, handrail bending jigs, and some other parts like MV 136 lenses, micro surface mount LEDs and CF 103 whistles. If anyone wants me to order some cabs to pick up at Enfield please let me know. That way you can save on Shapeways shipping costs and I can supply some other parts for little additional cost. I'm expecting to place my order in another week or two. Please let me know soon.

Mike

mredden

August 19th, 2018, 7:57 pm #39

If anyone wants to order cab kits for pickup at the Reunion, please let me know.

I can offer the following without shipping charges (Save a minimum shipping charge of $4.99 at Shapeways):

Shapeways 3D printed cab kits for Proto 2000 S1 or Atlas S2..................................$33 each
Pre-cut window glazing set..........................................................................................$5 each
MV 136 clear lens for rear cab headlight.....................................................................$4 each (I only have 4 of these left)
micro surface mount LEDs with pre-soldered leads for lighting the MV lenses...........$1 each (Must use a resistor)
Custom Finishing 103 whistles....................................................................................$7 each

Please let me know by this Friday 08/24 what you want, to ensure there's enough time to have the cabs printed and shipped in time for the Reunion.

Any question, or if you want to order, contact me at mlredden1 at gmail.com

Mike Redden

August 20th, 2018, 8:20 pm #40

I bought one of these cabs for an Atlas S2. The cab looks great but I am a little disappointed with the striations probably caused by the printing especially on the roof. Sanding is not an option due to all of those beautiful rivets.