New HO Scale NETCo Decals

Peter R Ness

5:46 PM - Aug 08, 2018 #1

Precision Design Co. has released sets of NETCo tractor and trailer decals in HO scale.

The trailer decals cover several different eras including pre-war gold trailer numbers to post-war B/W numbers and variations in between.  Likewise the rear warning stripes are included in two styles, early and later with a white area to add the trailer number.  White numbers are also included as appear in some photos on the lower rear right of the trailer frame.  Lastly the nose banner with different "G" typeface from photos is included as is the white arrow and lettering as on the lower section of the trailer nose in some photos.

The tractor decals include lettering applied in a variety of eras and are correct for the 1937-41 GMC tractors as well as the 1953 White 3000's.Two styles of early cab numbers are included.  Small numbers positioned in the black stripe under the cab window and larger gold numbers positioned on the tractor hood. A "GENERAL MOTORS TRUCK" emblem is included if you choose to use the Sylvan Models V-173 1939-40 GMC Highway Tractor.

See the web page for complete details and other trailer sets available.  Among the sets available are:
New England Transportation 24ft Van Decal Set (yes, I informed the manufacturer the later-ear tractor decals are on this sheet as well....)
New England Transportation 24ft Van Decal Set.PNG New England Transportation 28ft Van Decal Set
New England Transportation 28ft Van Decal Set.PNG and New England Transportation Tractors
New England Transportation Tractor Decal Set.PNG
Happy modeling,
Peter

rsullivan

9:31 PM - Aug 08, 2018 #2

Thanks Mr. Ness. Just finished an order for decal sets for the 22 foot, 24 foot, 28 foot trailers, cabs, and chains and binders with hooks and shackles for the trailers loaded on my flatcars. Very easy to order with the Precision Design Co. website.
Richard #3967

rsullivan

2:56 PM - Aug 16, 2018 #3

I just received my order for the decal sets Mr. Ness mentioned above. I suggest that you don't use the clarity of the print in the above photos posted above. In each scanned photo above the lettering appears a little fuzy and hard to read. On each set for the 28 foot van, 24 foot van, 22 foot van, and the tractors decals all the lettering and lines are sharp and easy to read, albeit that you may need a magnifying glass since it is so small. The gold and black numbers and gold lettering are easily discernable and clear. I also ordered items #1017 - Set of 10 HO Chains with Shackles and 1018 - Set of 10 HO Chains with Shackles. Both 1017 and 1018 are very thin etched wood sheets with the chains and shackles cut clear through the wood. They appear to be easily separated from the sheet with a new #11 blade. The chains look three dimensional and the pictures show them painted a silvery color which makes the details pop. I don't know how fragile these will be connected to my trailers on my flatcars, but I intend to coat them with a couple layers of ACC to add stiffness and strength for car handling. If you want to use wire chains, the holes on the shackles are open so you could thread a chain end onto them. The small package came with a very stiff and thick piece of cardboard to protect the items while in the mail.
     I was hoping that the 22 foot van set would be able to be used on the van trucks with the cab connected directly to the van. However, they appear just a little too long to get all of the lettering correctly positioned on the side of the 14 to 18 foot long van body. Maybe if these sell well, Precision Design Co. might make some sets for the smaller van trucks. Hope, Hope.
Richard #3967

Peter R Ness

10:25 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #4

I hope you like them, Richard.  Here's an in-progress photo of a Sylvan GMC tractor and Wiseman Model Services 24' Aerovan trailer. I like the Wiseman trailers compared to the Classic Metal Works Mini Metals for a few reasons., the top two being the horizontal bead detail is shallower and the diagonal banner settles nicely without distortion or cracking, and the wonderful detail of the crank handle on the landing gear dolly.
NETCo decals 24 foot trailer3.JPG
Regards,
Peter

rsullivan

6:15 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #5

Thanks for the picture of the in progress. I hadn't heard of the Wiseman Model Services, and I'm going to call my eastern Kentucky neighbor and order three of the OT6600 HO Scale Fruehauf Aerovan 24' Trailer Kits and OT6610 HO Scale Fruehauf Aerovan 28' Trailer Kits on Monday because I could get my computer to work correctly in placing the orders. I'm going to order three Sylvan Scale Models T-017 1936 22' Fruehauf Trailer. I already have several of their T-006 26' Aerovan Trailers w/ Side Doors to make up as M&M Company trailers, and their T-005 1950-54 34' Tandem Fruehauf Trailers as the red NH Trailiner trailers. I also have a bunch of various tractors to choose from.
     One thing I learned from your picture is where the arrow and lock here decals go on the trailers. Thanks again.
Richard #3967

Peter R Ness

7:42 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #6

Hi Richard,
The arrow and lock here text were unknown to me until enough photos of trailer noses surfaced.  In terms of positioning;
Arrow: varies from straight vertical to angles leaning to the left (facing the nose); the point is always centered, but the shaft and tail not so much; the point is above the bottom of the trailer body, but sometimes closer, sometimes higher.
Text: always to the left (facing the nose) and located somewhere along the shaft between the point and tail.

Regards,
Peter

rsullivan

9:53 AM - Aug 24, 2018 #7

For anyone thinking about getting the decal sets from Precision Design Co. and the 24' and 28' Fruehauf Aerovan Semi Trailers from Wiseman Model Services, now is a great time to act. I mentioned how pleased I was with the decal sets above. I called and spoke with Mr. Wiseman Monday and placed my order by phone. I received my six trailers yesterday (Thursday). Mr. Ness is so right about the fine details on these trailers. The side seams are just barely there and probably no more than a scale 1/4 inch dimensionally. The door hinge and latch details are great and don't appear oversized as on many models. You have two sets of trailer dollies which allow you to model them in the up position for when being moved by a tractor, or down position for when standing or on a railcar with jack stands, block, tackle, and racheting chains. The directions which come with the trailers are easy to follow and should result in beautiful models. I'm very happy with these model trailers, and now am waiting for my Sylvan Models 22' Fruehauf Aerovan Semi-Trailer models to arrive to build all nine together as one project. Just wanted to share my opinion of some great products to model the New Haven Railorad 's New England Transportation Co. trailers.
Richard #3967