New Haven RR Customers

hrcoleman129

5:05 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #1

New Haven RR Customers - Was wondering does anyone have a list compiled for customers the New Haven RR serviced over the years especially in Rhode Island. If not, maybe all the group members could put together a list and see what we come up with, thanks!

Henry Coleman

NH746EJO

10:55 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #2

CUSTOMER DIRECTORY
During the 1920s the New Haven's freight department published an Industrial and Shipping Directory.  For a time copies of the 1924-1925 directory was available through this site -- see postings starting on January 31, 2008.   The directory had 304 pages which suggests that compiling a more modern list would be a difficult task.

Regarding your interest in Rhode Island, have you seen my web sites ?    Clicking the following site will also provide addresses to several other RI web sites.
http://sites.google.com/site/rhodeislandrailroads

hrcoleman129

12:09 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #3

Thank you for this information. Would love to see if I can find that directory, sounds like quite a bit of information. I have seen the website you put together, it's incredible with all of the Rhode Island information that you have up on there, thank you for doing this. Incredible picture collection you uploaded on there

Peter R Ness

7:48 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #4

I was lucky enough to find an on-line pdf 1959 Boston phone directory which, back in the day listed businesses, street addresses as well as phone numbers.  Don't ask me where I found it - sometimes I binge search and just download without recording the source - may have been Boston Public Library, not sure. You might try a search for a Providence directory or other locations around your years of interest.

Another possible source is Employee Time Tables - when a business had service restrictions ( car length, siding capacity, locomotive weight, clearance, etc.) these were listed in the ETT.

Thinking about the phone directory, now I have to see where I filed it, lol.  I recall when I downloaded it, I spent several hours first doing a search by streets that I know ran along the ROW, and finding a business address, then did a search by street number and street to detect if the business was located in a large building with other tenants or if they may have been the only tenant in or owner of the building. I don't recall the details now, but this was how I learned that Fruit Growers Express as well as several other Reefer owners/lessors had offices in the same building. Fun stuff!

Peter Ness