New Canaan Private Car

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

New Canaan Private Car

GettingThereCT
Member
Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 21:28

07 Oct 2017, 21:33 #1

Folks...

I'm researching the old private car that the NHRR and MNRR ran in commuter service from New Canaan to GCT and back each day.

Does anyone remember "The Special Car Associates", the club that owned and ran the car... or if any members are still alive?   Appreciate any details you remember about the car, how membership worked (cost, wait list), etc.

Thanks!

JIM CAMERON
"Getting There" columnist
Stamford Advocate
Reply

Statkowski
Member
Joined: 05 Mar 2003, 09:39

08 Oct 2017, 00:55 #2

The New Haven's SS club cars were Nos. 5110-5113.  Here's a shot of 5111:

Reply

DBrion
Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2006, 05:52

08 Oct 2017, 02:12 #3

This is very general data on the commuter car(s) you are interested in.  There were four, 66-seat club cars, built by Pullman Standard in Worcester, MA, delivered June-July 1954 via New Rochelle.  Road numbers 5110-5113.  Car number 5113 was also known as the New Canaan.  This car was scrapped in North Haven in December 1986.  Car number 5111 was donated in May 1985 to the Central Valley Railroad Museum and is currently stored at the Danbury Railroad Museum. 
 
Construction details and interiors of this MU fleet may be obtained in The Official Pullman-Standard Library, Vol. 10 – Northeast Railroads, by W. David Randall, Railway Production Classics (1991).
 
There are several gentlemen who frequent this forum who have contributed information regarding these club cars.  As this was more than 5 years ago you may be able to retrieve the data if you do a forum search.  Good Luck.
Reply

DBrion
Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2006, 05:52

08 Oct 2017, 12:43 #4

Between July – Sept. 2008 on this NHRHTA forum there was a thread that had historical information on the SS “Washboard” MUT fleet, including some discussion regarding the Special Car Associates.  

Below is Club car #5111, Stamford, CT, February 12, 1970.  Photo by Joe Testagrose.
Reply

TomCurtin
Member
Joined: 13 Jul 2017, 14:13

08 Oct 2017, 13:25 #5

GettingThereCT wrote: Folks...

I'm researching the old private car that the NHRR and MNRR ran in commuter service from New Canaan to GCT and back each day.

Does anyone remember "The Special Car Associates", the club that owned and ran the car... or if any members are still alive?   Appreciate any details you remember about the car, how membership worked (cost, wait list), etc.

Thanks!

JIM CAMERON
"Getting There" columnist
Stamford Advocate
Jim, I will be at the Stamford Model RR Club Tuesday afternoon (St. Johns Basement, enter on Grove St).  I will bring some info with me that you'll like if you meet me there.  I can probably answer a lot of your questions. Contact me off forum at tecurtin1@verizon.net or 203-395-9879.

Tom Curtin
Controller NHRHTA
Reply

pattbaa
Member
Joined: 30 Oct 2003, 02:46

08 Oct 2017, 20:10 #6

Not New Canaan per-se  ,  but the Fairfield Historical Society has  possession  of  all the documents  and records   kept  by the Board of Directors  of this elite  " Club-Car  Association" over the years.
Reply

NHRHTA1
Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2003, 09:17

08 Oct 2017, 23:00 #7

The New Canaan car of 1954 was unique as it had a small Buffet.
Reply

Noel Weaver
Member
Joined: 18 Feb 2003, 07:23

10 Oct 2017, 20:44 #8

I think I have posted this previously but maybe not, the New Canaan Club Car was contracted out separately from the Special Car Associates, it was a separate organization.  MU car 5113 was furnished by the members of the New Canaan group.  When the car was pulled from service they ran it up on the New Canaan Dink on a Saturday morning and parked it for the day in the station where the members cleaned it out.  I'll bet it was the first manual labor for most of them in a long time.  After that was done the dink brought the car back to Stamford and that night or the following Sunday it was deadheaded to GCT on a regular MU job.  It was left at the block and I was on the emergency job that day.  I moved it to one of the regular engine tracks at 49th Street but later on that same day I again moved it to one of the tracks under the Waldorf for final storage.  I think I was the last engineer to move that car under its own power.  I think it was one of the cars that was badly damaged by a fire probably set by a homeless person later on and from there it was finally scrapped.  What a waste, the car ran fine right up until the end.  Incidentally the New Canaan people cleaned every last thing out of that car, the interior was empty when I moved it in the terminal.
Noel Weaver
Reply

GettingThereCT
Member
Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 21:28

17 Oct 2017, 17:00 #9

pattbaa wrote: Not New Canaan per-se  ,  but the Fairfield Historical Society has  possession  of  all the documents  and records   kept  by the Board of Directors  of this elite  " Club-Car  Association" over the years.
I visited the New Canaan Historical Society which has four stuffed boxes full of every aspect of 5113.  Fascinating!
Reply

GettingThereCT
Member
Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 21:28

17 Oct 2017, 17:02 #10

Noel Weaver wrote: I think I have posted this previously but maybe not, the New Canaan Club Car was contracted out separately from the Special Car Associates, it was a separate organization.  MU car 5113 was furnished by the members of the New Canaan group.  When the car was pulled from service they ran it up on the New Canaan Dink on a Saturday morning and parked it for the day in the station where the members cleaned it out.  I'll bet it was the first manual labor for most of them in a long time.  After that was done the dink brought the car back to Stamford and that night or the following Sunday it was deadheaded to GCT on a regular MU job.  It was left at the block and I was on the emergency job that day.  I moved it to one of the regular engine tracks at 49th Street but later on that same day I again moved it to one of the tracks under the Waldorf for final storage.  I think I was the last engineer to move that car under its own power.  I think it was one of the cars that was badly damaged by a fire probably set by a homeless person later on and from there it was finally scrapped.  What a waste, the car ran fine right up until the end.  Incidentally the New Canaan people cleaned every last thing out of that car, the interior was empty when I moved it in the terminal.
Noel Weaver
In my digging thru the New Canaan Historical Society archives on 5113 one of the last entries was the treasurer saying they were tapped out for funds because the had to pay for storage of all the old seats, card tables, etc.  It was a very sad footnote to a 50+ year "run".
Reply