New Britain

rghammill

September 13th, 2007, 12:24 am #1

I'll have a lot of questions about New britain in the future, but for now...
Was there a scale at the north end of the Whiting Street yard? I'm guessing it would have been just north of the Freight Station.
I'll be modeling sometime between 1948 and 1951, if that makes a difference.
Thanks as always,
Randy
--
Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954  |  http://newbritainstation.com

chuck842

September 13th, 2007, 1:57 am #2

hey did they switch the stanley works? musta been busy back in the day!

rghammill

September 13th, 2007, 4:25 am #3

Chuck,
Yeah, as far as I can tell they were very busy. I have passenger timetables, but I don't have a freight schedule book yet. In browsing through old posts here it appears that there were as many as 21 freights and 8 passenger trains through New Britain daily, at least in the period I'll be modeling. Almost all of the freights dropped off and picked up in New Britain as well, as far as I can tell.
I know there was an article in a recent Shoreliner, but I haven't picked that up yet.
Randy
--
Randy Hammill

rghammill

September 13th, 2007, 4:27 am #4

I still can't edit my own posts...
They had 2 44-tonners stationed there. One was assigned to Stanley Works, the other did the rest of the switching (my guess is for the freight station and team tracks, primarily).
Randy
--
Randy Hammill

Tom Curtin

September 13th, 2007, 7:38 am #5

RGHammill wrote
Quote:
21 freights and 8 passenger trains through New Britain daily
Well now, this is a hell of a lot more fun than the other stuff I've been commenting on this week . . .
21 freight trains? I'm trying to figure out how we can get to that number in the 1948-51 period. I'm not debunking the figure, I'm fascinated by it and wondering how to get to 21. Here's what I know of:
- 2 pairs of Hartford-Maybrook freights
- 1 Cedar Hill-Holyoke RT***
- A New Brtain yard job, which to judge from a brief vignette in one of the Kent Cochrane fims (Kent lived in New Britain, for those who don't know) was held down by a GE 44-tonner.
That tots up to 7 trains. I'm missing 14. Help . . .
*** There's an utterly fabulous photo in a Shoreliner of several years back, taken by our late great friend Tom McNamara when he was a kid, of one of those Holyoke jobs blasting up the grade from Berlin behind doubleheaded J-1s. Love it!

Ramo4709

September 13th, 2007, 7:48 am #6

The Stanley works had their own GE 45 ton locomotive with siderods. It was built in 1942 & was at the plant until around 1996 when it was donated to the RR Museum of New England over in Thomaston where it now resides.
The loco was used in its later years to haul out scrap gons down the hill. From what I was told, the later operators of the locomotive didn't know what / or how to use the big handle on the brake stand! Sometimes 6 cars were brought downgrade....
RAMONE

Noel Weaver

September 13th, 2007, 12:22 pm #7

During the period of 1948-1950, there were likely two Cedar
Hill - Holyoke round trips and a Hartford - Bridgeport
round trip as well as at least two Hartford - Maybrook
round trips and maybe three. There were also local
freights all over the place in those days.
When I get time, I will dig out a symbol book from the
above period and settle this one.
Noel Weaver

Chris Lynch

September 13th, 2007, 3:56 pm #8

Stanley Works at one time also had an 0-4-0 fireless steam locomotive.
It was on display at the Warehouse Point Trolley Museum up until a few years ago. Not sure where it went from there.

rghammill

September 13th, 2007, 6:41 pm #9

These are the ones that I have either seen mentioned here or in print, along with some guesses.
These I'm pretty sure about. All of them apparently picked up and dropped off cars in New Britain:
AO-3 (Hartford to Maybrook)
AO-5 (Hartford to Maybrook)
DX-? Local (Waterbury to New Britain)
NX-25 Local (New Haven to Plainville)
NX-? Local (Plainville to New Haven)
NX-28 Local (Hartford to Plainville)
NY-2 (New Haven to Holyoke)
NY-4 (New Haven to Holyoke)
OA-2 (Maybrook to Hartford)
OA-4 (Maybrook to Hartford)
OA-6 (Maybrook to Hartford)
YN-1 (Holyoke to New Haven)
YN-3 (Holyoke to New Haven)
plus:
NX-17 Local (New Haven to Cookes Quarry) aka Stone Extra: Only services the New Haven Trap Rock quarry in Plainville, although it could have been covered by NX-25 (plus NX-28 to Hartford)
and:
AE-1 (Hartford to Bridgeport)
This is the Speed Witch connection. I dont believe it picked up or dropped off in New Britain.
These are the ones that are guesses:
AD-1 (Hartford to Waterbury
AX-? (Hartford to Plainville)
AX-? (Plainville to Hartford)
DA-2 (Hartford to Waterbury)
EA-1 (Hartford to Bridgeport)
This would be the reverse of AE-1. Im not sure it exists, but I dont think it would stop in New Britain if it does.
But that's only 20. I realized I had one of them on my list twice.
Also, I'm coundting the number of times a train goes through New Britain. For example, I had read that the New Haven to Plainville locals picked up and dropped off cars in both directions. So I have counted them as two trains. This may not be the proper way of counting, but it works for planning operations on the future layout.
For those who might have noticed, I have changed my focus. We are most likely moving next summer. As a result, I'm holding off on further work on the Windsor Locks/Thompsonville layout I've been working on. Because of the increased operational possibilities (the Thompsonville layout had one local freight), as well as the fact that it has shorter passenger trains, I've changed my focus on the new plan.
The new layout will most likely be set in 1950, although it appears that trackplan, etc will work from about 1948-1952. One thing I have not determined yet is when the Plainville to Hartford line was single tracked. I'm building it when it's still double-tracked.
Thanks once again, and Noel, I can't wait for confirmation on some of this research.
Randy
--
Randy Hammill

rghammill

September 13th, 2007, 6:48 pm #10

As for freight operations, here's what I've surmised so far:
The local freights switch out the industries themselves, except Stanley Works and PF Corbin. They had locomotive restrictions not allowing anything heavier than a 44-tonner, so they had to be switched by those.
The way freights drop off long cuts of cars on the sidings.
One 44-tonner picks up and switches cars to the various Stanley Works locations. The other drags the cuts down to the Whiting Street team tracks and freight house. I'm guessing it builds New Haven bound trains in the Whiting Street yard, and Hartford bound trains in the Commercial Street yard, where the way freight pick them up. Trains bound toard Plainville/Waterbury, etc could be set up in either yard.
I'm also guessing that there are no scheduled freight trains from 11:00 am - 3:00 pm because the crossing towers on all of the streets between the station and Whiting Street were not manned during those hours.
I know that the Maybrook trains came through in late evening, and the Speed Witch connection (from Hartford) in the middle of the night.
So that's what I've got so far. It may be a bit oversimplified, but I'm still learning.
Randy
--
Randy Hammill