NETCo and Arrow Transportation request

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

NETCo and Arrow Transportation request

Peter R Ness

June 22nd, 2018, 8:23 am #1

First, I have to say - and I've said this to myself many, many times over the years; I really miss Ben Perry!

I'm looking for any and all photos or images on NETCo trailers other than published by NHRHTA or in New Haven Power.

NETCo: Pieter Roos' NETCo page is MIA and I regret I never downloaded any information from his site.

Paul Cutler III mentioned in 2006 he had some Readers Digest and other photos - I have the shots from A Great Railroad at Work, but I would be interested to see what else there is.

Arrow Transportation: I have not been able to find ANY photos of Arrow trailers - models yes, real ones no - except the the DL-109-led TOFC photo in one of Sweetlands' books (I think) that has an Arrow trailer buried amongst a slew of M&M trailers... does anyone have any photos they are willing to share? 

In addition Ben Perry (RIP) mentioned 35' Arrow trailers  - some ragtops that caught fire - in the late 50's moving by TOFC service between Providence Brayton Ave Yard 17 and Harlem River.

So - any Arrow Transportion or additional NETCo photos greatly appreciated!

I'm willing to share any of my 9 NETCo trailer images (2 are later era trailers) if wanted.

Regards,
Peter 

rsullivan

June 22nd, 2018, 10:14 am #2

Mr. Ness.
     The only NETCo. picture of a trailer I found was of a card. I found three bus pictures and a NET badge. Here is the trailer picture from picclick.ca.
NET Co Pic 1.jpg
NETCo. tractor/trailer and bus card
NETCo. tractor/trailer and bus card

I found three pictures from www.hankstruckpictures.com. They are for the Arrow Carrier Corporation. Here they are.
Arrow Carrier Corp pic 2.jpg
Early Arrow tractor/trailer
Early Arrow tractor/trailer
Arrow Carrier Corp pic 3.jpg
Even earlier Arrow tractor/trailer
Even earlier Arrow tractor/trailer

Arrow Carrier Corp pic 1.jpg
Later era Arrow tractor/trailer
Later era Arrow tractor/trailer
I'm not sure if this is the correct Arrow company as you called them Arrow Transportation and I didn't find any images with that search that had "Arrow" on the trailer. Hope this helps some. If you want the bus and badge pictures, I will add them in a separate post.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967

Peter R Ness

June 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am #3

Hi Richard,
Thanks for trying.  I'm very familiar with Hanks Truck Pictures, and unfortunately none of these are correct. The exact name was Arrow Transportation Company Incorporated and they served Boston, Providence and New York. There were and still are, many trucking outfits with "Arrow" in their name.  Attached is a photo of a model and the only photo I have of an actual Arrow Transportation Trailer...
Regards,
Peter  Arrow trans1.JPG arrow trans first gear.jpg

rsullivan

June 22nd, 2018, 7:07 pm #4

Thanks Mr. Ness for the info and picture of the Arrow trailer. I like their logo layout better than the ones I found.
Richard

Peter R Ness

July 4th, 2018, 11:39 am #5

Update: 

I want to thank Pieter Roos for providing a wealth of information on the NETCo Trailers.  The result will be the most complete set of NETCo decals produced. The set will include decals for both 24' and 28' trailers as well as General Motors Truck and White tractors. Also the decal set will include both variations of rear warning stripes and additional lettering for the nose of trailers. The set will include both early gold and later black trailer numbers plus smaller white numbers that appear on the rear of some trailers. The set includes two styles of tractor numbers and the gold-edged black stripe for the smaller number located on the cab doors. One set will be able to do two trailers and at least two tractors.

These will be coming soon.

Once again, a plea to anyone with photo information on Arrow Transportation Company Incorporated trailers. Digging through old posts, at one time the late Ben Perry recorded; 

"I worked for Arrow Transportation Co, Inc. (not to be confused with Arrow Carrier of PA) from 1957 to 1962. Our service area was greater Boston, Worcester, Rhode Island and greater New York City including western Long Island and northern New Jersey. We also interlined with other carriers to serve Pennsylvania points. We were a good customer of the New Haven using Plan 1 piggyback between Harlem River, Providence & Boston. Most of the trailers were ramped at Harlem River and Yard 17 Providence. Relatively few were ramped at Boston. During my time 35 and 40 foot boxes were used including "rag tops" The open tops were used primarily to cover large items, generally machinery destined to North River piers for export. This was before containers and piers on Manhattan and Brooklyn were still going full blast. After several incidents when sparks from locomotives ignited the tarps on some the rag tops, and one of the fires destroyed a trailer load of Brown & Sharpe Mfg Co export machinery resulting in the end of the use of rag tops by Arrow in piggyback service. Arrow did a large perishable business, but most of the reefers moved over the road. Reefers seen on piggyback cars were generally carrying "dry" freight.":

In particular I am looking for any photos of 35' or 40' Arrow trailers. If any of you have Along the Lines between 1957-1962 and are aware of any piggyback service articles there may be photos of Arrow trailers published in those issues. Possibly if there are articles on the Clejan cars or upgrades to Providence or Harlem River piggyback facilities. 

Arrow trans2.jpg

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Peter

purepressure

July 9th, 2018, 1:06 pm #6

There’s a group on Facebook that might yield some results too. Fallen Flags—Trucking Companies of the Past.

rsullivan

July 10th, 2018, 12:05 am #7

Thanks Mr. Purepressure for that Facebook group's page. I went through all of their pictures, and found one of the M&M Transportation Company which I am sharing here. It is black and white and of a latter year trailer than those seen on various New Haven flat cars. It does show the tractors paint scheme, but not the colors.
M&M Truck and trailer pic 1.jpg
M&M Transportation Company tractor and trailer
M&M Transportation Company tractor and trailer

Mr. Ness. It seems from the comments you posted above that some new decal sets are in the offing. Two quick questions for your consideration. First, will you also make a set of decals with "New Haven Railroad" in black letters on the white banner for those of us modeling the New York state's yards and delivery services since New England Transportation wasn't allowed to operate in New York?
     Second, if you are making decals for the Arrow Transportation Company, will you also produce them with the yellow lettering with black trim? That way we can model the green trailer with the yellow upper half rear doors as seen in the picture you posted above. I always wondered what company that trailer was. The M&M Transportation Company trailers are fairly easy (I think) to make with the circus style lettering on the brightly painted trailers. Thanks.
Richard #3967

Peter R Ness

July 11th, 2018, 5:59 pm #8

Purepressure: There are hundreds if not 1000's of photos there and by process of elimination I *may* have found the correct Arrow -still not sure, but nonetheless the site rivals Hanks Truck Photos which is always my go to. Thanks very much for the tip!

Richard; 

"New Haven Railroad" b/w decals; simple answer is No. Qualified answer is send me some photos and I will consider prness_at_roadrunner_dot_com

M&M (courtesy Ben Perry who I really miss);

M&M (Malkin & Marx) was started just before WWII by cousins. Shortly after WWII cousins Malkin broke apart from M&M and started Arrow Transportation Co based in Providence. M&M was based in Somerville Mass. Arrow operated between Boston, Providence and NYC and northern New Jersey. They made extensive use of Plan 1 piggy back between Providence and Harlem River. Eastbound some boxes went all the way from Harlem River to Boston, but most were grounded in Providence.

M&M operated from Boston & Providence to NYC and the middle Atlantic states and used Plan 1 piggy back from Boston, Providence to Harlem River.

I'm working with several others to get some good trailer decals.  M&M is on the list. Pen Bay made two awesome sets for M&M decades ago, but the manufacturer passed away and no one picked up the products. Pen Bay did not include M&M decals for the early 24' trailers seen on TOFC trailers.  This will be corrected.

After that I will be working on a bunch of other trailer decals primarily for 32'-35' trailers. These will be appropriate from early '50's onward.

For those who missed it, I did New Haven 35'-40' Trailer decals with Highball Graphics a long time ago and they are available in HO and N scale. 

rsullivan

July 11th, 2018, 9:54 pm #9

Mr. Ness. While I expected the answer given regarding a "New Haven Railroad" truck/trailer decal set, Socrates was credited with saying "The only stupid question is the unasked question." (Amazing that an ancient Greek philosopher got our English so well back then.) The only picture and where I learned the New Haven Railroad's trucks did pick-up and delivery services in New York was in Shoreliner, vol. 24, iss. 2, in Mr. Wayne D. Drummond's "New Haven's Rubber Tire Fleet" article. On page 17 is the only picture I've seen of the New Haven delivery truck. It is a box truck and the cab style and brandname isn't available. Thanks for the offer on helping get some made up. I was planning on showing the picture to Dave of Dave's Decals here in Farmington, Kentucky. He has an ever increasing types of decals for buildings and other areas, including scale newspapers on tissue paper. Downtown Deco uses his decals for their buildings. He does custom work for anyone.
     I did pick up several sets of the Highball Graphic's New Haven Piggyback Trailer decals when they were first announced in The SpeedWitch, vol. 2, iss. 1. I also bought many of the various trailer decal sets offered by Mr. Ed OKeefe when they became available back in 2010. His were for both the white diagonal stripe and the latter blue New England map overlaid with the company name and a red and blue border and a yellow backed front company name for the silver trailers.
     I will be watching for the 32'-35' trailer decal sets when they come out. Thanks for doing all that work, and for the information.
Richard #3967

rivermanvt

July 12th, 2018, 5:52 am #10

I presume that everyone reading this has at least one example of the Athearn short, can't recall the prototype length, trailer painted like that on R J Sullivan's NET card. I've been amazed at how many people have missed that. Even a consummate New Haven modeler like Bill Aldrich had missed them but I found several of them and supplied Bill some five years ago.

Young Buck, F C Dumaine III, was not doing well the last I heard but will try to check and see if he might offer anything as he worked for NET but never the NH proper.

Cordially, Don Valentine