NETCo and Arrow Transportation request

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
rsullivan

July 12th, 2018, 9:35 am #11

Mr. Valentine is right about the release of NET Co. trailers by Athearn. There were several releases. In March 2004 they announced New Haven flatcars with 25' NET Co. trailers as item#ATH92367 HO RTR 50' Flat w/2 Trailers, NH #17222 at http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default ... D=ATH92367 and item#ATH92368 HO RTR 50' Flat w/2 Trailers, NH #17211 at http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default ... D=ATH92368. Both are sold out. I missed buying these, and I don't know why. Trailers only were announced in July 2005. They were item#ATH92473 HO RTR 25' Trailers, NH (2)  http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default ... D=ATH92473. They are sold out. Athearn also announced in January 2009 item#ATH70975 HO RTR 40' Exterior Post Trailer, NH #1 (2) http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default ... D=ATH70975 and item#ATH70976 HO RTR 40' Exterior Post Trailer, NH #1 (2) http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default ... D=ATH70976 (no image on this webpage). These were with red "NH" logo with the raised name boards with "Trailiner Service" above and the "New Haven Railroad" below. Both are sold out. I just checked both Trainworld and eBay for any, and there aren't any of the above. 
     Athearn announced preorders for the NET Co. 25' trailers in the red with the white diagonal stripe scheme back in 2017 for pre-orders. They are two trailer sets with different unit numbers. Here are the specifics. Athearn item#RND7928, HO 25' Trailers, NH #1 (2) http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default ... ID=RND7928 and Athearn item#RND7929,HO 25' Trailers, NH #2 (2) http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default ... ID=RND7929. According to the webpages for each item they can still be pre-ordered. I ordered mine along time ago through my local brick-n-mortar hobby shop. Trainworld doesn't show these as available for pre-order (back order on their site).
Richard Jenry (I guess the Spanish spelling of Henry😁) #3967

purepressure

July 12th, 2018, 9:25 pm #12

Mr Ness, the guys in that group are very informative as well. Just ask a question and I’m sure you’ll get an answer. It seems like a lot of those guys are from the golden age.
I’m just glad I could help.
Rob

Peter R Ness

July 12th, 2018, 10:55 pm #13

Ed O'Keefe is a prolific decal producer and well-respected within the 1/87 vehicle modeling community. I was pleased to be able to work with him on the late-era NETCo and a few other 1950's trailer decals to represent units shipped in TOFC service.  Since that effort more info has come to light and will be included in the future, as will an improved selection of transportation and express shipper names. It's unfortunate that with the demise of Railgraphics, Don Mills lost his supply of decals as well as artwork. There is a small group of New Haven modelers collaborating to make available such lost treasures as Pen Bay M&M and some of the Don Mills decals - with a great deal more detail as well. Don Mills still has inventory of selected decals for those with immediate needs. 

The lettering on the second release of Athearn NETCo trailers  - the separate item of two trailers only - was the most accurate commercially manufactured item produced thanks to efforts of Paul Cutler III who worked with Athearn to correct the notorious yellow background on the script herald. The trailers themselves are not accurate models of anything, but nonetheless as Don alludes, they were irresistible to those who found them when they were available. Count me in that lucky group.   

Rob, thanks again for the tip.  I am not a facebook kind of guy, but this just may get me off my chair!

rsullivan

July 12th, 2018, 11:19 pm #14

Mr. Ness. You asked about articles and pictures in Along the Line about piggyback operations and especially Arrow Transportation Company trailers. I only have two issues from the 1950s. The Along the Line for May 1958 had a pictorial titled "Better, Faster Service for our Piggy-Backs." Here is that page in two parts.
Piggyback pic 1.jpg
Top of back page of May 1958 issue of Along the Line.

The bottom of the page is in the following post since it was too big for both of them.
Richard #3967
Last edited by rsullivan on July 12th, 2018, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rsullivan

July 12th, 2018, 11:24 pm #15

Here is the bottom half of the back page of the May 1958 issue of Along the Line.
Piggyback pic 2.jpg
Bottom of back page of May 1958 issue of Along the Line.

I cannot see any Arrow Transportation Company trailers in the pictures. There was also a short article about the "Two Appointed to Head Trailiner Sales Posts" about the middle of the page in both pictures.
The Summer 1958 issue of Along the Line had a front page article "Plan-2 Piggyback Now Serving 100 New Stations, Five States." There were no pictures.
Richard #3967

Peter R Ness

July 13th, 2018, 12:06 am #16

Richard,
Thanks very much for posting. I have a couple of Railway Age articles on New Haven equipment, but no Along the Lines or Readers Digests in my collection. The photos are still packed with information. Consider this is 1958 and look again at the photos in the top half; The two top photos are with 17500-series cars while the two bottom photos are of Clejans. There was one calendar photo (1996 calendar) showing a consist with both Clejan and 17500-series flats so it appears this was a common mix until at least that time - TOFC volume was significant such that the 17500's could not yet be completely replaced by the Clejans.

Thanks again as I truly appreciate the effort and help!

rsullivan

July 13th, 2018, 2:17 am #17

Mr. Ness. Did the Arrow Transportation Company have a light colored arrow pointing from right to left in a medium color rectangle on the upper rear doors of the trailers? If so, then in the lower right picture captioned "FLOOD LIGHTS GLOW..." there might be an Arrow Transportation Company trailer second in on the right side column, on the ground.
Piggyback pic 2 (2).jpg
Possibly Arrow Transportation Company trailer with an "arrow" in a rectangle on the upper rear doors.
The pixilation doesn't allow it to be enlarged anymore and still see anything. If you look at the rear doors of the second trailer in you can see a medium colored rectangle. In this enlargement there appears to be the fletching of the arrow and a portion of the shaft visible in the box. It is a little easier to see with a magnifying glass on the original picture in the Along the Line. The trailer appears to be smooth sided with a light paint job and the roof with rounded edges and possibly silver in color. Much like the one of the model you posted above. On the original picture, the sides don't appear to have any lettering, but I attribute that to the angle of the trailer and the reflection of the flood lights bleaching the side in the picture.
     So, do you think that might be an Arrow Transportation Company trailer?
Richard #3967

NH746EJO

July 13th, 2018, 9:52 am #18

P1010019-003.JPG These Athearn's came with the flat car -- I removed the second axle.

Peter R Ness

July 13th, 2018, 12:22 pm #19

Edward, it was release of the trailers alone where Athearn with Paul Cutler III's input corrected the script herald background color. Great job on making the axle count correct! 
Peter  NETCo trailer 19 athearn.jpg

Peter R Ness

July 13th, 2018, 12:31 pm #20

Hi Richard,

It may be an arrow trailer.  This morning I was rather startled to find I already have a photo of an Arrow Transportation trailer.  As a matter of fact it's right there in plain sight in a photo we have all seen many times over!  Here it is!
Now I have two absolutely wonderful photos of Arrow transportation trailers - the 24' in 1948 and a 32' or 35' in 1954!
Regards,
Peter
arrow trans09.jpg Arrow trans06.JPG