Modelling the NH and CV in the 1950's

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
NH746EJO

June 23rd, 2018, 10:43 am #11

CV STEAM PHOTOGRAPHS
To see CV photographs, including many in New London and the Southern Division, go to my website -------
       http://sites.google.com/site/centralver ... ocomotives

Rich Cizik

June 27th, 2018, 2:31 pm #12

I wouldn't doubt there would have been more freight interchange between the NH,NH&H and the CV in Willimantic and Norwich than at New London. 

Willimantic would have had traffic from the Highland Div. (Poughkeepsie NY, New Canaan, Hartford transferred to Midland Div), Midland Div. (Fishkill NY, Danbury, Waterbury, Hartford, Manchester, Willimantic, Providence, RI) and Airline Div. (New York City, New Haven, Middletown, Willimantic, Boston, MA) and Norwich had the Norwich Division (Worcester, MA, Putnam, Norwich, Groton).  The only traffic that would have been interchanged at New London would have been for customers on the Shoreline route.

Regards,
Rich C

rsullivan

June 27th, 2018, 3:39 pm #13

Maybe this is putting a hair (or fly) in the ointment, but what about all those Canadian National cars returning on the carfloats to Oak Point Yard. I have always looked as those being returning empties using the shortest route back to home territory. The Central Vermont RR (CVwas a Canadian National (CN) subsidiary with basically the same color schemes and logos, and as soon as those CN cars hit the CV tracks weren't they considered returned to home rails and per diem stopped? From Cedar Hill Yard, they could continue to the CV exchange at New London or be forwarded along the same route as the Montrealer took. Either way they ended up on CV tracks. 
     I have been stocking up on prototypically correct CN and occassional Canadian Pacific cars just for my Oak Point Yard interchanges using the docked carfloats.
Richard

Statkowski

June 27th, 2018, 3:58 pm #14

The problem with empty CN cars was not getting them onto CV tracks, the problem was getting them off of NH tracks.  Once rid of them, the NH could have cared less about the per diem.  And, as far as the CN and CV were concerned, although one was a subsidiary of the other, they were two separate railroads, each with their own set of books to maintain, and CN equipment on the CV was charged against the CV, just as CV or Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific (DWP), Grand Trunk (GT) or Grand Trunk Western (GTW) equipment on the CN was charged against the CN.  Such minor details kept the bookkeepers and accountants busy, more so in the days before number-crunching was automated.

James Fellows

June 29th, 2018, 9:58 am #15

The New Haven and the Central Vermont also had an interchange in Norwich CT.  I am curious how much (or little more likely) was interchanged there.

Jim Fellows

NH746EJO

June 29th, 2018, 10:44 am #16

James Fellows wrote: The New Haven and the Central Vermont also had an interchange in Norwich CT.  I am curious how much (or little more likely) was interchanged there.

Jim Fellows
Jim  --- did you miss my post at the start of this thread  ?   It included Norwich interchange for 1921 -- seems like nobody has any later data.

joneschmidt

June 29th, 2018, 10:49 am #17

Thank you for the additional info, NH746EJO.  We'll look for the book you recommend.

Was there at one time a MN-3 and NM-2 for 490 and 491, or did they terminate in E New London?

James Fellows

June 29th, 2018, 10:55 am #18

NH746EJO wrote:
James Fellows wrote: The New Haven and the Central Vermont also had an interchange in Norwich CT.  I am curious how much (or little more likely) was interchanged there.

Jim Fellows
Jim  --- did you miss my post at the start of this thread  ?   It included Norwich interchange for 1921 -- seems like nobody has any later data.
Sorry, I missed that Norwich was listed.  I am surprised that it averaged over two cars a day, I figured it would be less.  Of courses by my 1958 modeling time period it could be greatly reduced.

Thanks for posting the information.

Jim Fellows

joneschmidt

June 29th, 2018, 10:56 am #19

If you guys are interested in what we're building, take a look:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/176772406404383/

joneschmidt

June 29th, 2018, 10:57 am #20

Or search in facebook CVRR in Northern CA