MBRRE Lewis Herbert Benton talk

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

MBRRE Lewis Herbert Benton talk

rrtrax2

May 16th, 2018, 8:17 am #1

tt.JPG
Map and directions are at bottom of MBRRE Meetings page:
http://www.massbayrre.org/meetings.htm

rsullivan

May 16th, 2018, 9:00 am #2

It was from one of their photographs that I learned there was a North Cromwell passenger station. I just tried to locate the picture to see which one was clowning around by balancing on the railroad tracks, but was unsuccessful. Later, thanks to the Forum, I learned I use to walk to the former North Cromwell stations site from my house for the level and shorter walk to 'downtown' Cromwell along the right-of-way. I have admired their photos in various books of the New Haven's passenger stations. Here is another example of living where it doesn't cost much as a retiree has the big disadvantage of missing out on the great presentations available in the southern New England area on the New Haven. Thanks for sharing the info on the presentation.
Richard (short form) #3967

nhhe52

May 17th, 2018, 8:06 pm #3

rsullivan wrote: It was from one of their photographs that I learned there was a North Cromwell passenger station. I just tried to locate the picture to see which one was clowning around by balancing on the railroad tracks, but was unsuccessful. Later, thanks to the Forum, I learned I use to walk to the former North Cromwell stations site from my house for the level and shorter walk to 'downtown' Cromwell along the right-of-way. I have admired their photos in various books of the New Haven's passenger stations. Here is another example of living where it doesn't cost much as a retiree has the big disadvantage of missing out on the great presentations available in the southern New England area on the New Haven. Thanks for sharing the info on the presentation.
How do we access the station images?

Ed

Peter R Ness

May 17th, 2018, 9:43 pm #4

Reminds me I should dig out my copy of New England Country Depots to see if any of the photos of New Haven stations are Benton's.
Regards,
Peter 

rsullivan

May 17th, 2018, 11:56 pm #5

Mr. Ed(nhhe52) The best place to find images of the New Haven's passenger station is www.tylercitystation.info. Here is the picture description of the photo of the North Cromwell passenger station. "NORTH CROMWELL  [CV, c1880?]
This was not an original stop in the town of CROMWELL when the CV opened in 1871 and we need to check timetables further to determine when it first appears.  That is Irving Drake walking the rail and mugging it up for photographer Lewis H. Benton. The pair perambulated through New England in the late 1920s and early 1930s taking pictures of railroad stations. This station was "to be repaired and retained" on the 3/15/1939 addendum to the 1938 SSRR list. [REFS: HDC/08/25/1871/02; SL22.4.29][rev010318]" Here is the picture from that site.
North Cromwell passenger station pic 1..jpg
North Cromwell passenger station on the Valley Branch of the New Haven RR
North Cromwell passenger station on the Valley Branch of the New Haven RR

You can access the stations that begin with NI-NO at: http://www.tylercitystation.info/stations-ni-no.html. The site is run by NHRHTA Forum member rrtrax2. He is doing a great job in continuing the research of the passenger stations, and the last update of the site was March 7, 2018. Great place to start any research on Connecticut railroad stations in my opinion. While the Dodd Archives may have more, it is hard to research online, and for those who live outside the New Haven's territory it is near impossible to travel to for research. Hope this helps some.

NH746EJO

May 18th, 2018, 10:16 am #6

NEW HAVEN RR STATIONS

Bob's Tyler City Station site is the best source for stations in Connecticut.

For NYNH&H stations in Massachusetts or Rhode Island go to:
http://sites.google.com/site/rhodeislandrailroads  or  http://sites.google.com/site/massachuse ... adstations

nhhe52

May 18th, 2018, 10:16 pm #7

Thanks guys:

Ed

Vandibe
Vandibe

May 19th, 2018, 3:42 pm #8

Has anyone else noticed the ever present bicycle in some of these station and depot photos available on Tyler City Station or the Massachusetts Railroad Stations Google site? Many photos have just one bicycle, and it's always prominently displayed between the the photographer and the subject building. Was there another prolific photographer with a "signature" other than his name, or is this coincidence, that bicycles were common, and one happened to often just be there? 

Now that I've noticed it, I might roll back through and see if there are any geographic hot spots. I wonder if this were a Sunday pastime for someone living within a certain radius?

Thank you rrtrax2; I've enjoyed your work. 

Eric