Local Freight designations to-from New haven and Cedar Hill

wlupoli
wlupoli

12:56 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #1

In May 2016, there was a discussion on local freight designations. In the 1948 arranged freight typed pages there is mention of locals from new haven or cedar hill. These are CH to meriden (the brick), NH plainfield on the canal line, CH to the airline, and CC to Saybrook on the shore line. We're these designated as NX- xx, where xx is a number, or something else? Was the number always the same for a particular route?

Thanks, Bill L

Statkowski

5:46 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #2

The 10/27/1963 Freight Train and Package Car Schedules booklet shows the following locals operating out of Cedar Hill:

NX-18  8.00 am  New Haven - Westfield and return.  Except Sunday.
NX-19 (Brick Extra)  11.00 am  Cedar Hill - North Haven - Wallingford and return.  Except Saturday.
NX-25  7.00 am  Cedar Hill - Meriden -Berlin - New Britain - Plainville and return.  Except Sunday.
NX-26  6.00 am  Cedar Hill - Colchester and return.  Except Sunday.
NX-27  11.00 am  Cedar Hill - North Haven - Meriden and return.  Except Sunday.
BX-32  11.00 am  Cedar Hill - Old Saybrook and return.  Except Sunday.

The 4/26/1964 Freight Train and Package Car Schedules booklet shows the following locals operating out of Cedar Hill:

NX-19  9.00 am  Cedar Hill - North Haven - Wallingford and return.  Except Sunday.
NX-25  6.00 am  Cedar Hill - Meriden -Berlin - New Britain - Plainville and return.  Except Sunday.
BX-32  10.00 am  Cedar Hill - Old Saybrook and return. Except Sunday.

wlupoli
wlupoli

6:25 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3

Thanks a lot, Mr. Statkowski.  I really appreciate your quick response. I'm looking at the arranged freight train service symbol book 79 dated April25th, 1948. What's missing from your list is New London..There was a Cedar Hill to New London local and a New London to Cedar Hill local in 1948. Do you suppose that the nomenclature for 1963 was the same as 1948 for the ones you listed?

Thanks, B ill Lupoli

Statkowski

7:32 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #4

Unknown, I was only one year old at the time.😆

The 1963 booklet shows three jobs operating out of New London, as follows:

BX-23  11.00 am  Operates New London to Providence on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
BX-23  12.45 pm  Operates from Cranston to New London on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

BX-33  11.30 am  Operates New London - Essex, Guilford and Return.  Except Sunday.

BX-34  10.30 am  Operates New London - Jewett City and Return.  Except Sunday.

wlupoli
wlupoli

11:03 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #5

Since Chris Adams runs a Cedar Hill to New London and New London to Cedar Hill local for his 1948 operating layout, I'll ask him what the designations were.
Are you there Chris?

Bill Lupoli

J13022
J13022

2:58 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #6

I know in 1948, the Cedar Hill to Colchester Freight was HDX-12. Somewhere around 1953 the HDX-12 became the NX-26. I think as the Railroad was trying to cut down on things, they only had two divisions towards the end: BX (Boston) and NX (New Haven).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Adams

3:09 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #7

Hi guys - I sent this info to Bill offline, but figured it'd be appropriate to post it here as well.

From what I've been able to gather, there were no such designations during the late 1940s. Local freights were just referred to in the vernacular (e.g. The Shore Line Local, the Air Line Local, etc) or by name, if given/known (e.g. "The Brick" "The Zipper" etc) . 

My local freight "designations" are somewhat contrived, being made up from the division name and number in the book - e.g. HDX-7 is the train that's listed as number 7 on the list of locals in the Hartford Division section of the book. But according to John Wallace, the train that's listed as number 7 on the list of locals in the Hartford Division section of the book was always just "The Valley Local".

"NX-5" and other such designations came about after my era, so I don't know anything about them.

As flattered as I am that I may be considered an nascent expert on the Valley Line (and, to a certain extent, the Air Line), don't take my designations as gospel. While I'd love to get more detail about how the local freights were designated (if, in fact, they were during the late 1940s), keep in mind the "designations" I use on my layout (HDX-12, HDX-7, PDX-1, PDX-2) are based on a reasonable guess - not gospel.

Trust this helps clear things up - though I fear it may just make things more complicated 😬

Chris
http://www.thevalleylocal.net
Modeling the New Haven Railroad's CT Valley Line in October, 1948

wlupoli
wlupoli

10:25 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #8

I believe the following may be of interest. It was gleaned from the "Arranged Freight Service, Symbol Book 79",  dated April 25, 1948.

Airline Local. Cedar Hill Colchester and return - HDX-12
Canal Line Local, Water St to Plainville and return - HDX-14
Brick Local, Cedar Hill to Meriden and return  - HDX-13
Cedar Hill to New London (one way) - PDX-1
New London to Cedar Hill (one way)  - PDX-2

I hope I interpreted it correctly. I'm of course interested in the nomenclature used for locals out of Cedar Hill and Water Street in 1948.  Any comments? HDX is Hartford Division, PDX is Providence Divison.

Goffprof

11:06 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #9

Some of the Hartford Line locals were NX21, NX27, and NX19 in the 70’s.

Hartford Line through-freights were M6 and M7 and later those trains became NHSE and SENH.

Later designations were SEBO and BOSE to and from Boston.

Today Pan Am EDPL and PLED as well as CSO freights.

As a Signal Maintainer and later C&S Supervisor in the 70’s until 1990, I regularly talked to all of those trains on the Road Channel (160.800 MHz). My call signs were Hartford Signal Gang (Penn Central then Conrail mobile 288W), Amtrak Signal Maintainer (C&S 114), then Amtrak C&S Supervisor (C&S 101).

For some reason, many of those details are easy to recall, yet I have to think hard about what I had for lunch today.

Al Goff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rghammill

11:59 PM - Oct 06, 2018 #10

Ahhh, but we did not make up those designations, Chris. While the local freight section of the book doesn’t list any designations, in the through freight sections of many years it lists NDX, HDX, etc. under the connections.

The Package Car schedules only mention “extras” but the Arranged Freight books usually show the actual train numbers.

Randy

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954 | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com
Chris Adams wrote: Hi guys - I sent this info to Bill offline, but figured it'd be appropriate to post it here as well.

From what I've been able to gather, there were no such designations during the late 1940s. Local freights were just referred to in the vernacular (e.g. The Shore Line Local, the Air Line Local, etc) or by name, if given/known (e.g. "The Brick" "The Zipper" etc) . 

My local freight "designations" are somewhat contrived, being made up from the division name and number in the book - e.g. HDX-7 is the train that's listed as number 7 on the list of locals in the Hartford Division section of the book. But according to John Wallace, the train that's listed as number 7 on the list of locals in the Hartford Division section of the book was always just "The Valley Local".

"NX-5" and other such designations came about after my era, so I don't know anything about them.

As flattered as I am that I may be considered an nascent expert on the Valley Line (and, to a certain extent, the Air Line), don't take my designations as gospel. While I'd love to get more detail about how the local freights were designated (if, in fact, they were during the late 1940s), keep in mind the "designations" I use on my layout (HDX-12, HDX-7, PDX-1, PDX-2) are based on a reasonable guess - not gospel.

Trust this helps clear things up - though I fear it may just make things more complicated 😬

Chris
http://www.thevalleylocal.net
Modeling the New Haven Railroad's CT Valley Line in October, 1948