Donaldfor

March 5th, 2010, 1:13 pm #121

I am sure that Mark Frattasio would agree that writing railroad books is not a way to get rich. It has too little appeal for people outside the industry. We do it as a small contribution to the history, on Marks part the history of the running of the railroads and on my part the way it has affected rank and file railroad workers. I came from the notorious east end, trouble makers we were called. The only reason I wrote the book was to give our side of the story and to make sure none of the best men and good guys were forgotten. I would have to sell hundreds of books just to break even (an impossibility) and I could care less about the money. Guys like Charlie Eaton (yardmaster in Framingham Ma.) Joe Chase, a committeeman who led the strike in our area in the late 40's and held and held out long enough for yardmen to get time and a half after eight. Joe Ryan, the smartest and best trainmaster, I ever knew, needed recognition. There were other of course like Wreckmaster John(do you have a dollar for the Lord?) McDonough, the only man I ever saw back Supt Jack Gregg down. Great guys all of them.

George Ford

March 5th, 2010, 1:42 pm #122

Hey Ben ! You out there ? Just happened to be watching Diners Drive Ins and Dives and guess who shows up on TV, Ben Perry....He was in one of those great Diners in New England. Who was that  lady friend ? George

Donaldfor

March 5th, 2010, 8:03 pm #123

Sorry guys I meant John McDonough (Wreck Master) backed down and sent Supt Ernie Cross packing. Not Supt Jack Gregg., although I believe Jack Gregg knew better than to mess with John McDonough.

George Ford

March 6th, 2010, 6:36 am #124

Good to hear Ernie got sent packin, that must have been a rare moment !