Limey visitor to Hudson Valley and W Connecticut

CPWaterfall

March 8th, 2018, 1:07 pm #1

Greetings Gentlemen
I am one of those who lurks - visits this site but does not often sign-in or comment.

Now I know this is not really the puropse of this site, but I am planning a trip to the US in September and hope to include the Danbury Museum, the RMNE at Thomaston, a drive up the Housatonic Valley and a walk across the bridge at Poughkeepsie.
Please would anybody who lives in the area be kind enough to advise on my plans? Please contact me off-line at c.peter.waterfall@gmail.com

Best wishes to the NHRHTA and all who maintain and contribute to this vibrant forum.

Peter

SS60
SS60

March 8th, 2018, 2:26 pm #2

On September 8th will be the annual reunion and train show at the Valley Railroad located in Essex,Ct. from 10am to 3pm. You will meet many of the members and have a great time. The Valley RR runs a good operation. They have a boat/train ride or if you want, just a train ride. The dinner train is outstanding. 

CPWaterfall

March 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm #3

SS60, thank you for your suggestion. 
Unfortunately I will not be flying in to Stewart/Newburgh until 17th or possibly18th of September so I will not be able to join the reunion. 
I might still try and squeeze in a visit to Essex for the Valley Rr and the CT River museum, but it would probably mean missing out the RMNE and the trolley museum at East Windsor that I also have on my list. Is that a good swap?

Peter

rfranzosa

March 9th, 2018, 8:10 am #4

Personal opinion: 

Essex if you want to see a real steam railroad in action (and do pay extra for a parlor car seat), RMNE if you want to see an extensive collection of equipment.  The Warehouse Point Trolley museum is much smaller than either of the others, so unless you are a trolley fan, that's the one I would skip (though if you are flying into Bradley, it's the closest BY FAR).

Rick Franzosa

TBChin
TBChin

March 9th, 2018, 4:35 pm #5

rfranzosa wrote: Personal opinion: 

Essex if you want to see a real steam railroad in action (and do pay extra for a parlor car seat), RMNE if you want to see an extensive collection of equipment.  The Warehouse Point Trolley museum is much smaller than either of the others, so unless you are a trolley fan, that's the one I would skip (though if you are flying into Bradley, it's the closest BY FAR).

Rick Franzosa
If you like trolleys/subway cars, check the Shore Line Trolley Museum 17 River St ; East Haven, CT 06512.  Larger than Warehouse Point. 
Thomas Chin

CPWaterfall

March 10th, 2018, 4:55 pm #6

Thank you Rick and Thomas for your input.
I was thinking of going to Strasburg in Amish country but it will put a lot of miles on my trip. I may swap things around and visit Essex instead and make the whole trip less gruelling. Unfortunately the Shore Line Trolley Museum closes for the winter two weeks before my trip otherwise it would have been easier to fit in with Essex than Warehouse Point. 
If anyone has any other suggestions I can also be contacted off line : c.peter.waterfall@gmail.com

Peter

TBChin
TBChin

March 10th, 2018, 5:16 pm #7

CPWaterfall wrote: Thank you Rick and Thomas for your input.
I was thinking of going to Strasburg in Amish country but it will put a lot of miles on my trip. I may swap things around and visit Essex instead and make the whole trip less gruelling. Unfortunately the Shore Line Trolley Museum closes for the winter two weeks before my trip otherwise it would have been easier to fit in with Essex than Warehouse Point. 
If anyone has any other suggestions I can also be contacted off line : c.peter.waterfall@gmail.com

Peter
Peter,
The Strasburg museum has a lot of PRR artifacts.  If your interest is NH & steam, I would choose RMNE, Thomaston and Essex over Strasburg. I used to live in MA, CT, and RI and have been to all of those. 
Thomas Chin

CPWaterfall

March 11th, 2018, 5:37 pm #8

Strasburg now off my itinerary.
Thanks you all for your input.
Peter