Late Evening NHRR Train GCT to Boston

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

Late Evening NHRR Train GCT to Boston

Gaffer
Gaffer

May 9th, 2018, 3:47 pm #1

Wonder if anyone can corroborate this. Someone once told me that there was a train leaving GCT around 11pm for Boston and made several local stops along the way to include Darien, CT. It probably had mail and express cars in the consist. It supposedly ran in the post war era up through the 'sixties?

Does anybody know what the consist may have been if this train did in fact exist? Or its schedule? The train did not have a name as it was a bit of a milk train.

But it would have been the only train to Boston that I know of that stopped at Darien!

Thanks for any information. 

Statkowski

May 9th, 2018, 5:05 pm #2

Only evening train I found heading for Boston and stopping at Darien was The Bostonian, No. 30 Daily except Saturday departing G.C.T. at 8:01 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time), and No. 34 Saturday departing G.C.T. at 9:01 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).  This from Time Table No. 20 effective 2:01 a.m., Sunday, April 25, 1965.

The Passenger Train Consist book for the same Time Table shows the following consists departing Grand Central Terminal:

Train 30 - Ex. Saturday
1 RPO - G.C.T. to Boston
1 Baggage - G.C.T. to Boston
2 S.S. Coaches - G.C.T. to Boston, 3 on Sunday
3 Streamlined Coaches - G.C.T. to New Haven, 4 on Wednesday and Thursday
1 Baggage (Newspapers, sealed) - G.C.T. to Providence, Friday only

Train 34 - Sat. Only
1 Baggage (Papers) - G.C.T. to New London
2 Baggage (Papers) - G.C.T. to Providence
1 Baggage - G.C.T. to Boston
2 S.S. Coaches - G.C.T. to Boston
3 Streamlined Coaches - G.C.T. to New Haven

Both trains pick up, at New Haven, 1 Baggage and 1 Express, Penn. Sta. to Boston, dropped off there by No. 168.

No. 30 and No. 34 are shown stopping at Stamford, Darien, South Norwalk, Westport, Bridgeport, New Haven, Old Saybrook, New London, Providence, Route 128, Back Bay and Boston.  Not exactly a milk train, but not a speed demon, either.  No. 30 got to Boston at 12:50 a.m. and No. 34 arrived there at 2:03 a.m.

Any later trains stopping at Darien were Springfield jobs, necessitating a train change at New Haven if one wanted to continue on to Boston.

EdwardStewart

May 10th, 2018, 7:19 am #3

In 1963 I was at USNTC Bainbridge, Md. and would catch a train in Baltimore to Providence that arr. in Providence at 7:05 A.M.  (Saturdays)  IIRC we stopped at GCT around 11:05, this was 1 train ,no transfers ,

Statkowski

May 10th, 2018, 11:27 am #4

I just happen to have a New Haven ETT for October, 1963.  All times shown are Eastern Standard Time.  Back then, the railroad didn't care if Daylight Savings Time was used by the general public - the official schedule was Eastern Standard Time.

If you caught a train in Baltimore, Maryland and got off in Providence, Rhode Island without changing trains, then your train stopped at Pennsylvania Station in New York, New York, not Grand Central Terminal.

According to Time Table No. 17, the only train stopping in Providence around 7:05 a.m. (DST) was No. 32, a Sunday-only unnamed Boston train that originated in New Haven as a connection from No. 60, a Sunday-only Springfield train out of Grand Central Terminal.  No. 32 arrived at Providence at 6:02 a.m. (EST).  No other trains arrived eastward around that timeframe on any other day of the week.

The only Pennsylvania Station train coming up from Baltimore would have been No. 176, The Federal, arriving at Providence at 7:20 a.m. (EST).  This train ran seven days a week, Saturdays included.

The trouble with 55-year-old memories is that they're 55 years old.  We remember bits and pieces, but sometimes they get a little bit jumbled.  I'm not saying you remember things wrong, but your memories may not be totally right.  On the bright side, the longer you last, the number of people who can disagree with your remembrances grows fewer and fewer.

Gaffer
Gaffer

May 10th, 2018, 2:15 pm #5

Thanks for all the replies and to Mr. Statkowski especially for providing the detailed info. 

As we learned in physics class, every action causes an equal and opposite reaction. So, accordingly, was there an evening train departing Boston for GCT making the same stops and with a similar consist?

EdwardStewart

May 10th, 2018, 2:25 pm #6

Thank you Mr. Statkowski, It must have been Penn. Station then and the Federal because I got on the train on Friday, off on Saturday returning to Baltimore on Sunday, I may have gotten the Station wrong  (didn't care at the time because I wasn't getting off)  Thanks again !

Statkowski

May 10th, 2018, 2:36 pm #7

Gaffer wrote: As we learned in physics class, every action causes an equal and opposite reaction. So, accordingly, was there an evening train departing Boston for GCT making the same stops and with a similar consist?
Not necessarily.  Eastward and westward traffic patterns differed.