Interesting Changes to Tapatalk's Privacy Policy

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

Interesting Changes to Tapatalk's Privacy Policy

rsullivan

May 16th, 2018, 4:53 am #1

I found an email from Tapatalk in my spam box titled changes in privacy policy. I ignored it and went to the "Privacy Policy" at the bottom of the page. The privacy policy was changed on May 4, 2018. I engourage everyone to read it because of Tapatalk's announced tracking of us.
     Three things which struck me, although the whole thing basically describes how you don't have privacy, are listed below.
1) You are going to get ads. Yes, you can option out of ads, but you will then receive ads from everywhere.
2) If you use a mobile device Tapatalk gets everything there is about your device, account, uses, and tracks your physical location even when you don't have the app turned on.
3) You can delete your Tapatalk account only in writing. If you do, everything posted on the NHRHTA Forum and any other Tapatalk groups will be deleted. Here is the quoted paragraph. "Our goal is delete the Tapatalk account you requested within 30 days of receiving your written request.  For the Website, we will delete you email, IP address, username and your profile information. We will also delete your posting and images tied to your username. Because we do not control all other Sites, please contact the Site owner to delete your account information." Tapatalk already deleted all the historical images when they took over. Now, if say Mr. Abramson (I am using him as an example and it would be the same for any of us) decided to no longer use Tapatalk and provided a letter stating such to them. Wihin 30 days, Mr. Abramson would no longer exist. Every single post, picture, link, and anything else he tagged in on would disappear forever from current and future Forum users. He and all others that close their accounts end up in a vast field of unmarked graves and removed from the history of the NHRHTA.
     The NHRHTA Forum is kind-of trapped. Catch-22, Tapatalk holds the Forum in its clutches, and if individual members and possibly the entire Forum don't like it they will be eliminated with extreme prejudice (killed off if you don't read spy novels). Well, that's my commentary about "privacy".
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

May 20th, 2018, 12:45 pm #2

Big Brother is watching !! LOL   Had a friend " Way back " late 60s mid 70s who was a Nam Vet
Who was an Electronic's wizard kinda guy He was a " Patch Holder " in 1 of the large groups of the day. He made a small device and added it to his home phone and could tell when he picked up the receiver if " other people were listening "  Now being a " Motor Cycle Enthusiast " as I was If you called him and he said " Hello  F%&^ K  Hoover " ya know you didn't discus club business on the phone.   You could ask about Beer, Pizza, the ex girl friend or what ever but that was it.
 heck now you can get a smaller phone device  that does even better at your local Electronic spy shop for a few bucks. " I don't need that kinda stuff "  ??  LOL but then again " Big Brother is watching " !!  LOL

Statkowski

May 20th, 2018, 1:42 pm #3

Privacy is an illusion.

DBrion

May 20th, 2018, 10:51 pm #4

Quoted from Tapatalk's Privacy Policy:

"CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT; DELETING INFORMATION 
Our goal is delete the Tapatalk account you requested within 30 days of receiving your written request.  For the Website, we will delete you email, IP address, username and your profile information. We will also delete your posting and images tied to your username. Because we do not control all other Sites, please contact the Site owner to delete your account information."

"If you remove the Application or close your Tapatalk account, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that information about you is no longer accessible or used by the Service.  However, as permitted by applicable law, we retain and may use information about you as necessary to comply with our legal and/or financial obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, and other legitimate purposes (including, for document retention and security purposes).  Please contact us using the details in the “Contact Information” section below to close your Tapatalk account or request changes or modification of the information you previously provided to us."

(Note: the term reasonable efforts cannot be legally quantified, at least not on a uniform application basis).  Beware of agreeing to such commercial or legal BS.

These people are counting on forum users to not do anything and accept the continued intrusion into their privacy.  Just think, if everyone opted out then the advertisers would have no one to sell to.  BUT, as Mr. Statkowski stated, all of this is illusory.

I think I'm going to follow Chuck Berry's once famous lyrics "Gone... like a cool breeze" 

rsullivan

May 20th, 2018, 11:40 pm #5

Mr. DBrion. I hope when you said, "I think I'm going to follow Chuck Berry's once famous lyrics "Gone... like a cool breeze" " that you were refering to closing your account. I for one would miss your input and comments.
Richard H. Sullivan, Jr.  member #3967

rsullivan

Yesterday, 9:24 am #6

When I checked the Forum for the third time today after 8am CST (0800 for those who understand) I found the following banner on the top of the page. "We've updated our Privacy Policy and by continuing you're agreeing to the updated terms." It was alligned with a box with "OK" in it. I'm going to continue using the Forum on Tapatalk without clicking on the "OK" box until they stop my access. Then I will click it. I'm wondering how long I will have before I'm forced to agree. I also wonder if people don't agree by clicking the "OK" box, will their profiles be deleted after a set period of time? It is not discussed in the "new" privacy policy.
Richard (short form) #3967

rsullivan

Yesterday, 11:22 am #7

There is a second banner that reads "When you visit our site, pre-selected companies may use certain information on your device to serve relevant ads and for analytics purpose. Learn more" followed by "CONTINUE" in a box. I have two adware blocking programs which have been successfully blocking all ads on this and other sites. The first is AdGuard AdBlocker and the second is uBlock Origin. Both are free adware blocking programs. I also paid for and use Superantispyware daily, and sometimes more often, to scan for all malware, adware, POPs programing, ransomware, and viruses. They update their database daily with the most up to date identifications and fixes that I'm aware of. It doesn't get rid of the "good" cookies you use for certain prgrams, but if you are using Google Chrome and erase your browser history many of those will be gone requiring you to reverify your ip address with the vendors of the sites you use. Just a little tidbit I wanted to share.
Richard (short form) #3967