Impromptu Review of Rapido Parlor Car

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
John Sheridan

March 7th, 2018, 8:20 am #21

John Sheridan wrote:
rsullivan wrote:
John Sheridan wrote:

I believe they were Tan in color but I don't have the book of specifications in front of me at the moment. 
Mr. Sheridan. So we shouldn't use the 8600 window shades offered by Rapido Trains?
Rihard (short form) #3967
Lemme check the book o' specifications later today for the exact color as I am not sure if they were the same for the Parlor & 8600.  
Ok. I checked. The outside of the shade is Hunter Green & the inside is Gray for all cars. None of the cars had Venetian blinds.

Mind you this is "as-delivered" so they might have changed during McGinnis but i doubt it. 

NH in VA

March 7th, 2018, 8:42 am #22

(deleted)
Last edited by NH in VA on March 7th, 2018, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

NH in VA

March 7th, 2018, 8:44 am #23

As a reminder, Rapido has a section on its website for support for the 8600s which allows the visitor to print out the Hunter Green shades for those cars, and now the Parlors since the windows are the same size.  The silver strip (aluminum channel in the real world I'd guess) at the bottom of the shade shows as well.  Thanks, Rapido, the (tacky) masking tape approach is not required on these cars.

rsullivan

March 7th, 2018, 9:22 am #24

michael78651 wrote: Oh, I have the decals too. I was thinking of flipping the letters. It would be fun to see if any rivet counters spot it. Then "throw" the book at them when they poo poo the car!

Anyone know how long the car ran with the letters inverted?
     Mr. Michael78651. Mr. Day(day10s) brought up the inverted logo plate in the thread titled Custom Brass FL9 on June 10, 2017. On June 11, 2017, Mr. Wayne Drummond responded with this answer. "Well Richard that was a bit of creative vandalism and was changed back shortly after that photo. I can tell you from experience and others that removing all those screws was no easy task. Just an aberration. If some wants to model that the simple application of a decal will suffice." 
     So, modeling the 26C-14L parlor/lounge car #401 New Rochelle would be accurate for July 9,1967 and the few weeks that follow. Now if you are modeling Train 147 from Pittsfield to New York on July 9, 1967, you will be spot on for accuracy. As Mr. Drummond and you both said, a decel would take care of that.
Richard (short form) #3967

michael78651

March 7th, 2018, 1:06 pm #25

LOL, thanks! My layout operates on an actual calendar year. By the stopped fast clock, it is 10:24 AM on Monday, April 22, 1968, right now. When I get to December 31, the operating plan resets itself. As for the letters, I guess I'll be leaving them in their normal position.

Ron High

March 7th, 2018, 1:12 pm #26

I have heard that the Microscale decals for the SS cars that has the placard plate for the NH is the same size as the plates on the Rapido car . If so you can decal the plate upside down if you wish.
Ron High

TomCurtin

March 8th, 2018, 8:14 am #27

michael78651 wrote: Tom, the years you stated are the years I operate.

Here is how I plan to run the parlor car, but I have some questions regarding the Saturday deadhead movement.

Friday Train 144 GCT to Pittsfield

Saturday Train 141 Pittsfield to GCT

Questions: Trains 144 and 141 carried diners too? Does Train 141 bring the parlor and drop it off in Danbury, or (somehow I'm remembering this instead) was deadheading the parlor to Danbury done by RS3? If so, was the RS3 from Pittsfield or Danbury? I'm thinking it would have to be an RS3 from Danbury. What time in the day was this movement made? If the RS3 was from Danbury, did it run light to Pittsfield? Was the parlor stored in Danbury on Saturday until Sunday? If not, which train  (141 or 143 or 145 - I don't see how it could be 145) would pick up the parlor in Danbury and take it to GCT? Is this because of lack of steam lines at Pittsfield to prevent holding the parlor overnight in Pittsfield?

Sunday Train 138 GCT to Danbury - picks up parlor in Danbury (if parlor is stored in Danbury) - proceeds to Pittsfield

Sunday Train 147 Pittsfield to GCT - this train picks up the coaches that were dropped off by Train 144 on Friday in Danbury - continues to GCT

Thanks!
OK folks here's the story from the Danburian who saw it all on Berkshire passenger trains (Sorry for the delayed response).

DINING (until March 1960):
Narrows Light operated as a full service diner in #141 Pittsfield through Friday and #147 Sunday evening.  It operated on #144 GCT-Pittsfield Monday thru Friday.  During this period whenever it was OOS for repairs ---- and this was not unusual, remember Narrows Light was a converted heavyweight parlor built in 1928!! --- I was told by a reliable source that one of the stainless diners (That's right, a diner, not a grill) substituted.  I did not see this myself, so I  confess it is hearsay but as I said I got it from a reliable source.

BEVERAGE (beginning March 1960)
When the daily through Pittsfield service went to RDC's in March 1960 --- I believe the exact date was March 14 --- all dining service ended.  Narrows Light then deadheaded Danbury-GCT Monday through Fri. on #141 and operated as a bar car Monday - Thursday evenings on #144.  On Fridays the bar service continued to
Pittsfield.  I imagine passengers must have been sloshed at the end of that four-hour-plus ride with drinks and no food!  Every Saturday morning the car deadheaded back to Danbury on #141, came off at Danbury, and spent the rest of the weekend stored there.  When Narrows Light was OOS grill car #959 was substituted.  I did personally see that a number of times.

Narrows Light was retired sometime in 1964 and I do not know exactly when.  I do know it was 1964 because at that time I was a college student in NY city and rode it home on Friday nights.  In that more enlightened era I could legally have a drink as far as New Haven MP 25.75 [the NY-CT line], so, yes, I tipped a few glasses in Narrows Light!

After that the same beverage service, on the same schedule, was provided by grill car #959. I tipped a few glasses in that one too.

PARLOR (1960 onwards)
Various parlor cars operated to Pittsfield on Friday #144 and back on Sunday #147.  I remember at various times Newport, Guilford, Pittsfield, New Milford, and New Rochelle .  From about 1964 onward I remember New Rochelle was consistently the one assigned.  In the early 60s the deadheading of the parlor back to Danbury on Saturday morning #141 and back to Pittsfield on Sunday morning #138 was sporadic.  Frankly, I don't know what drove the decision to deadhead it one weekend and not another. [Note: I have had a person or two tell me I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, the parlor was deadheaded every weekend, period,  but I respectfully and firmly disagree and  will categorically stand by my assertion].  The season had nothing to do with whether the parlor was deadheaded back to Danbury or stored at
Pittsfield.  It could have been left at Pittsfield in any season.  Beginning from the mid 60s onward the parlor was deadheaded, as described here, every weekend.

POWER (1960 onwards)
Through most of the summer of 1960 weekday trains 141 and 144 just about always had an electric between GCT and Danbury.  On Friday it changed to 2 RS-3s to go to Pittsfield and return to Danbury as Saturday 141.  As soon as the second order of FL9s entered service in September everything went to FL9s.  Trains 140-143 had 2 FL9s between GCT and Danbury even though the train typically had only 3 or 4 cars.  At that time the railroad officially treated a pair of FL9s as a single 3500 hp locomotive and did not operate single units anywhere AFAIK.  Beginning in something like June 1960 I would see a single FL9 on 140 and 143.   When 141-144 went to FL9 power in September I would see a single unit Monday-Friday on 141 and Monday-Thursday on 144.  Friday 144 and Saturday 141 always kept two units.

Sunday 138 and 148 always kept two FL9s until sometime in the mid 1960s --- I do not recall exactly when --- when they would operate two units in the winter and single units in the warmer months, this to avoid having to use the Pittsfield "Armstrong" turntable in the winter!!

BTW, I'm pleased to see modelers out there who are interested in Berkshire passanger operations of that era.

DBrion

March 11th, 2018, 6:18 pm #28

Just a curious question: my Rapido parlors, although extremely free-wheeling, had some difficulty going through facing switch points when the turnout was thrown for the diverging route. 

The parlor trucks are spring-loaded (self-centering), similar to the coaches, but I had no problem with the coaches, only the parlors.  My club’s trackwork is OK, all other rolling stock negotiate the turnouts fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions?  I am asking this question in advance of further investigation.

TIA

Statkowski

March 11th, 2018, 11:41 pm #29

TomCurtin wrote:BTW, I'm pleased to see modelers out there who are interested in Berkshire passanger operations of that era.
Tom (and others), I think the interest in Berkshire passenger operations is for a number of reasons.

First, this wasn't the Main Line.  This was a Branch Line complete with dining car service for most of its life, bar car service for all of its life, and even a parlor car!  On a branch line, no less.

Second, it lasted all the way up to the end of the New Haven Railroad, and beyond.

Third, for a mere sixty-five cents extra you could have a nice Sunday excursion ride (gotta remember those cut-rate two-day round trip fares), a chance to turn a locomotive on a turntable during the summer, plus a fairly cent meal at the Busy Bee diner in Pittsfield.  On the return trip you'd have a Union News candy butcher between Danbury and South Norwalk, plus you'd get to see The Montrealer with its own unique car consist in Stamford.

March 12th, 2018, 6:18 am #30

All very compelling reasons, Henry. The scenery was (is) pretty decent too. 

Derek Thompson
Toronto, Ontario

# 0668