Impromptu Review of Rapido Parlor Car

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.
rsullivan

March 4th, 2018, 3:24 am #11

Modeling the NH 6100 series bagggage/smokers (combines) were discussed on another thread, and at 18:44 on 28 May 2017 Mr. Statkowski posted the following. "For a combine, Bethlehem Car Works advertises a 6100-series combine for $87.50 (Item #SP-62)." He also included a picture of the finished product.
Richard (short form) #3967

michael78651

March 5th, 2018, 11:24 am #12

Unfortunately, I have found a glaring mistake in my New Rochelle parlor car. I absolutely cannot believe that Jason and crew at Rapido would have let this one go unnoticed.

If you check page 52 of Sweetland's "NH Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment" book, the center photo is of the New Rochelle. Note the left side "NH" logo plate. It is inverted. On my Rapido model, this logo plate is upright.

Jason, who is whimsical, how could you not have taken the opportunity to intentionally place that logo plate upside down? There is empirical data to show that such would have been prototypical, and is justified! I am disappointed! LOL.

michael78651

March 5th, 2018, 11:26 am #13

Now a serious question... the window shades for the parlor car. Were they black or dark blue?

John Sheridan

March 6th, 2018, 8:12 am #14

michael78651 wrote: Unfortunately, I have found a glaring mistake in my New Rochelle parlor car. I absolutely cannot believe that Jason and crew at Rapido would have let this one go unnoticed.

If you check page 52 of Sweetland's "NH Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment" book, the center photo is of the New Rochelle. Note the left side "NH" logo plate. It is inverted. On my Rapido model, this logo plate is upright.

Jason, who is whimsical, how could you not have taken the opportunity to intentionally place that logo plate upside down? There is empirical data to show that such would have been prototypical, and is justified! I am disappointed! LOL.
I could only imagine what would have really happened if we asked the factory to do this. (Hint - they would have likely flipped them all.)

You could always take the Microscale decals & make this modification. I have New Rochelle & I might do this myself :D

John Sheridan

March 6th, 2018, 8:13 am #15

michael78651 wrote: Now a serious question... the window shades for the parlor car. Were they black or dark blue?
I believe they were Tan in color but I don't have the book of specifications in front of me at the moment. 

rsullivan

March 6th, 2018, 8:48 am #16

John Sheridan wrote:
michael78651 wrote: Now a serious question... the window shades for the parlor car. Were they black or dark blue?
I believe they were Tan in color but I don't have the book of specifications in front of me at the moment. 
Mr. Sheridan. So we shouldn't use the 8600 window shades offered by Rapido Trains?
Rihard (short form) #3967

John Sheridan

March 6th, 2018, 9:00 am #17

rsullivan wrote:
John Sheridan wrote:
Mr. Sheridan. So we shouldn't use the 8600 window shades offered by Rapido Trains?
Rihard (short form) #3967
Lemme check the book o' specifications later today for the exact color as I am not sure if they were the same for the Parlor & 8600.  

John Sheridan

March 6th, 2018, 9:54 am #18

michael78651 wrote: I received my parlor car today, so I thought I would post a review of my thoughts of the model.

The model was well packaged as all Rapido items are. The box and packing was crisp and clean. Opening the box and removing the car was quick and easy. The protective plastic sleeve that protects the car during shipping got caught on one of the roof vents when I removed it, but no damaged was done. The sleeve could have been a little bit looser without compromising safety.

Inside the box, besides the car, one finds the instruction/information sheet, and a decal sheet (I got a pre-lettered car, but it's always nice to get some decals - also can someone tell me when the blue number boards were used?). The surprise inside the box, and this should have been done all along (but at least it's being done now) is a membership form to the NHRHTA. It will be interesting to see a count of how many new members this generates. Thanks to Rapido for helping us out this way. I don't need my form, but I will take it to a train show in mid-April and give it away to the New Haven collectors (quite a few in Texas by the way). If someone would like to send me a dozen or so of these forms, I will hand them out at my table during the two day show. I will also be at another two-day show a couple of weeks after that. Send those forms!

Now for the real important stuff.

Checking the details of the car, everything looked on target. Again, there are no surprises to the Rapido modeling quality. From past experiences, I have learned that it is necessary to check the trucks prior to putting anything Rapido on the tracks. True to form, one truck was found to have been screwed on too tight. I loosened the screw about a half turn, and that took care of the problem. I did not remove the truck, so I can't say if the bolster pin was cracked as was common on the Bradley cars. However, given how the half-turn resolved the tightness of the truck, I doubt that it was cracked.

A problem with the previous stainless coaches was the tightness of the wheels preventing much free rolling. I put the parlor car on the track, and gave it a push. It rolled like a champ! It rolled up a grade, stopped, and then rolled back. I'd say this car passed the "free-rolling" test. The car also coupled up nicely with other cars from other manufacturers. If you have sharper curves on your layout and need more swing space, Rapido provides a pair of couplers with a longer shaft to replace the factory-installed ones.

The last thing I did was to turn on the power to check the interior lighting. It is a very bright white light, but it doesn't flicker like with some of my stainless coaches. Next to a stainless coach, I think the parlor car light is much brighter. Maybe it's my eyes. The interior is very nicely detailed. If I can figure out how to open the roof, I'll add some passengers to the car. After all, I have to generate some revenue to pay for the car.

In conclusion, I think that this is a very nice addition to the New Haven passenger fleet by Rapido. My car, the New Rochelle, will be used on weekend service to Pittsfield, which from pictures I have seen this car did make that run.

Thanks, Rapido. (Now, I need two combine cars, black with orange sill, the type that ran on The Berkshire Line! That will complete my passenger fleet needs. Hint...Hint...)

(If you want to use this review in the Speedwitch, please feel free to do so, and to use your own pictures to supplement the article - Michael Generali. Please contact me if you need anything else from me.)
The two people who should be thanked most of all are Jason & Bill @ Rapido. I've been pushing this project since 2009 & not one manufacturer would darte take the risk with these cars. All of them declared there was no way they could make these cars because they would not sell.  

Jason Shron took a huge risk in taking on these projects & proved there is a huge demand these unique cars. Without his full support, these cars would have never happened. It is awesome that a plucky manufacturer from Canada has given us models I never dreamed we would ever see. 

Bill Schneider took on a gang of nitpickers, detail freaks, fanboys, & other nether-do-wells & allowed us to help turn these cars in an actual product you've come to cherish.  Of course the end result has been the Passenger cars along with the FL9s & the upcoming EP-5 models.  Bill should get a medal and/or a statue or put in an insane asylum for putting up with us. 

The NHRHTA should be thanked for putting its money where its mouth is & directly investing in these projects. The two projects so far (The 8600s & Parlors) have been a huge success & hopefully the organization will invest in future projects that will allow us to see the rest of the cars in the stainless series  along with other New Haven prototypes. 

Lastly, you folks have proven that there is an actual market for these products. Without your full support these products would never have seen the light of the day. Thank-you for emptying your wallets. 

michael78651

March 6th, 2018, 11:59 am #19

From the picture in the Sweetland book, the window shades on the parlor car look either black or dark blue.

Rapido made window shades for the cars? Are they still available? How much do they cost per car?
Last edited by michael78651 on March 6th, 2018, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michael78651

March 6th, 2018, 11:59 am #20

Oh, I have the decals too. I was thinking of flipping the letters. It would be fun to see if any rivet counters spot it. Then "throw" the book at them when they poo poo the car!

Anyone know how long the car ran with the letters inverted?