Greenbush Then and Now

rfranzosa

July 10th, 2018, 7:03 am #1

Hi All,

I’m typing this from an MBTA commuter rail train between Greenbush and South Station. It’s clear the the terminal area in Greenbush was rebuilt for the MBTA, but how much does it differ from the New Haven days? Same location? Track arrangement?

I’ve seen one iconic photo of DER-1a-led trainsets laying over in Greenbush but not much detail beyond that.

Thanks,
Rick Franzosa
Ending a short vacation in Mass.

Goffprof

July 10th, 2018, 8:06 am #2

Rick- I was part of the T’s Program Management consulting team on the Greenbush Project from late 2001 until late 2008. We began service on Halloween Day 2007. Total project cost was $566M.

Here are some of the project highlights. The original NH Braintree station was located inside the Braintree Wye, but it was long gone before we rebuilt the Wye.

The track was lowered in Weymouth by creating a deep rock cut for the new Weymouth Landing station as the original alignment was at street level.

We also depressed the track in Hingham by creating an 800’ gradual down grade or “boat section” on either side of an 800’ Underpass. Total length of the Hingham Underpass is therefore 2400’. In Hingham Center, we built a new small building called the “Hingham Head House” that is the access point from grade level down to track level. It has several high volume water pumps to keep water out of the track since the Underpass is far below water level.

In Cohasset, we found the old NH turntable and had to stop construction until it could be properly historically documented.

At Greenbush, if you stand on the bridge you’ll be at the vantage point where the picture you referred to was taken. The yard area had an old building on the far right side which we removed to build the new 6 track Greenbush Layover facility. I gave several presentations on the Greenbush project construction to groups in Boston such as MBRE as it was a great railroad project.

Al Goff

rfranzosa

July 10th, 2018, 12:19 pm #3

.... and this is why this forum is THE BEST!

Thanks, Al. Are you aware of any discussions about further expansion of MBTA commuter rail on the South Shore?

Rick Franzosa

newhaven45

July 10th, 2018, 2:17 pm #4

Hi Rick, When I was young, I grew up in Hanover so we often, went to Scituate and passed over the bridge at the end of the yard, I would always look to see if there was a train at the station. One time, I got my Dad to take me over to see the engine terminal. I was allowed to wander into the round house and even got a ride on the turntable. To bad I never thought to take pictures. However, I have found several in the Shoreliner in a multi issue article titled "Old Colony Commuter Service" by Bill Reidy. If you have Vol.27 issue 2 page 24, there is a photo of the roundhouse and turntable. Vol.27 Issue 3 page 28 and 30, there are four photos of the yard. The roundhouse had a large advertisement for Grossmans above the doors. The top photo on page 30 is how I remembered the yard. Vol 27 issue 4 page 14 has a photo of the roundhouse. Also two other things I remember and that was one on the tracks that ran through the yard continue pass the station and roundhouse and crossed Driftway and went a short way south. This was the remnant of the track that use to continue south through Marshfield, Duxbury to Kingston. There was also another track that ran out of the south end of the yard and ran parallel to Driftway and ended up at the old Boston Sand and Gravel Company that was located across the street from where the Windows Walk Golf Course parking lot is now . I have no idea when that track was last used but the sand and gravel company burned to the ground in 1964/5. I am sure there are more photos but I hope this info helps you to picture Greenbush as it was in the late New Haven day.

Al Jones

rfranzosa

July 10th, 2018, 2:25 pm #5

Thanks, Al.

I was actually staying in Marshfield and Duxbury this past week. Passed by ‘Railroad Ave’ in Duxbury several times.

I will definitely dig out those issues

Rick Franzosa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron High

July 10th, 2018, 8:30 pm #6

Dave Beck has shown a couple of times films of Dave Flanagan  a lot of of Old Colony passengers and freight in the 1950s some really great stuff .
I had thought that eventually there would be a DVD of that made available.It would be a great one to have.
Ron High

BX10
BX10

July 10th, 2018, 10:55 pm #7

Ron do you mean Paul Beck the video guy at the reunions.

Bill

Ron High

July 11th, 2018, 8:05 am #8

I am sorry I did mean Paul Beck a senior moment I guess.

Statkowski

July 11th, 2018, 9:53 am #9

Paul Beck, Dave Beck, doesn't matter, just as long as Beck's Beer is okay.

Ron High

July 11th, 2018, 1:39 pm #10

Unless you forget where you put your beer down.
ron