rsullivan

July 11th, 2018, 2:45 pm #11

Mr. Statkowski replied, "just as long as Beck's Beer is okay." Then Mr. High added, "Unless you forget where you put your beer down."

Now there's the rub. The nearest place to buy Beck's Beer is 107.2 miles away, and yes we are a wet city and county. But,¬†Yuengling Beer ūüćļ¬†is now available in Kentucky, and is the oldest US brewing company starting in 1829.¬†ūüćĽ That makes Beck's Beer the new upstart since their brewery opened in 1873. Since the Yuengling brewery was in Pottsville, Pennsylvania and didn't go north to New England till this century, it didn't travel on the New Haven Railroad.¬†ūüöā For this breach I apologize to the thread police¬†ūüöĒ and throw myself (or felldown dead drunk¬†ūüėī) at their feet for mercy before they¬†ūüĎģ start writing the citation.¬†
Richard #3967

Goffprof

July 11th, 2018, 5:19 pm #12

Rick -- lots of discussion on rail modernization projects throughout the State.  Many corridor rehab projects going on now that are funded.  As most everyone involved in NHRHTA knows, track and signal upgrades almost always have to be done ahead of expanding or adding new service. Some examples --- MassDOT is installing ties and new CWR on the Framingham Secondary to Foxboro stadium; and more ties, bridge, track and signal improvements on the Conn River Line (Knowledge Corridor) in advance of new "Greenfield Pilot Service" run by Amtrak that is scheduled to start around the end of June in 2019. The rehab of the Berkshire Line from Canaan to Pittsfield is starting this month with some bridge repairs and track work will start later this year. MassDOT Rail & Transit Division has a well defined rolling 5-year plan for railroad infrastructure improvements on state owned assets. As each rail corridor is improved, passenger and freight operating options become more realistic. 

I copied below a pic of a culvert replacement we did in Greenfield on the Knowledge Corridor project near MP 37.  Look carefully at the pic and you'll see the main line single track near the photo top center, about 80' above the deep cut we needed to excavate for the installation of a new concrete box culvert large enough to stand up in. Some pretty big excavating equipment looks small in the photo. This was one of hundreds of individual projects needed to rehab the line.

Al

Knowledge Corridor culvert repl MP37 Greenfield.JPG

rfranzosa

July 11th, 2018, 5:26 pm #13

Thanks Al.

Amazing photo!

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goffprof

July 11th, 2018, 5:48 pm #14

Rick -- forgot to add a WIKI post card pic of the original Braintree Station when it was located within the Braintree Wye which is still in use and is the entrance to the current Greenbush Line. The Old Colony and South Shore were served by this station.  The outside track on the left now is the beginning of the Greenbush Line that ends in Scituate at the Greenbush Layover which we placed in service in 2007. The track on the far right is the South Shore.  I remember standing in the wye when we rebuilt it for the Greenbush Project. 

Al 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Braintree station - OCRR and South Shore.jpg

rfranzosa

July 13th, 2018, 7:51 am #15

I read the four issues on the OC commuter service ‚ÄúNew Haven‚Äôs Problem Child‚ÄĚ (Vol 27). Great work, great historical perspective. Next time I‚Äôm in Marshfield I‚Äôll scout around and see if I can find any remnants of the pre-1938 OC line.

Thanks everyone!

Rick Franzosa

Widecab
Widecab

July 20th, 2018, 9:31 am #16

Statkowski

July 20th, 2018, 10:19 am #17

Thank you for the most excellent photo album, particularly showing before and after.  Of course, I had to drool when I saw the construction pictures comparing what was being done there with what we have here where I live (replacing crossties as necessary, replacing some rail as necessary, keeping it at or bringing it up to bare bones standards).  Of course, my local rail line only sees two 65-car coal trains per week.

Again, thank you for the photo album.
Last edited by Statkowski on July 20th, 2018, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodeo Joe

July 20th, 2018, 11:45 am #18

My thanks also, great pictures!

My brother lives in the East Weymouth area so I knew what things looked like before all the construction began. I always wondering what the car dealership at Weymouth Landing was going to do with all the cars they parked on the old ROW., free storage no more! 

Joe

Widecab
Widecab

July 20th, 2018, 9:06 pm #19

The Quirk dealership is now a brand new block of condominums!

FA 1
FA 1

July 22nd, 2018, 11:34 am #20

great photo's.     I remember quite a few of these places  as a youngster with my dad before 1959 closure.