Great looking B&W New Haven photos on NERAIL

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

Great looking B&W New Haven photos on NERAIL

BX10
BX10

May 15th, 2018, 11:48 am #1

There are some great B&W pictures on NERAIL.
 There were two that got my attention both posted by Ken Patton one was posted on May 4 it shows 2 PAs hauling 4 RDCs at the RT 128 station. The caption states that it is a Saturday afternoon Boston to Providence train and that the RDCs are filling in for coaches. It seems strange that there were no coaches available for this train. The picture was taken in April 1961.

The other picture was just posted recently it shows PA  0762 on a Needham Branch train at  the Birds Hill Station. The caption states that there was no assigned power to this train so it borrowed whatever was available at Boston. Taken in June 1959
 Now this one has some meaning too me. Being that I was only 5 years old at the time, it is quite possible that I was waiting with my Grand Parents at the Roslindale station and this train pulled in. I remember it like it was yesterday.

There is one other that has me ask this question it was posted by Tom Nelligan on April 6, taken August 1967, it shows U25B 2520 and an unknown GP9 at Broadway bridge, at South Station. But the question is why is there no the dynamic brake fan on the GP9? According to the caption the engine is still in service on a commuter train.
 Just a question for thought? 

Bill

Statkowski

May 15th, 2018, 1:41 pm #2

It was broken and had to be fixed?  Dynamic brakes cut out, not needed for commuter service?  Once the Centurys and U-Boats came on the scene, the 1957 purchases were no longer needed for main line or Maybrook freights.

BX10
BX10

May 15th, 2018, 3:00 pm #3

I thought of the same thing but wouldn't you think that the locomotive would be out of service until the fan got replaced.

I remember seeing the GPs/RS11s on freights back in 67/68 on the main line behind my Grandparents place in Milford Ct.

Just another New Haven Mystery I guess.
 Bill

Statkowski

May 15th, 2018, 4:45 pm #4

There's no problem using the engine without dynamic brakes if the engine's being used in Boston commuter service and the dynamic brakes aren't needed.

PJ McArdle

May 15th, 2018, 8:33 pm #5

One of the nice pictures includes a commuter train 955 on the Needham Branch; What was the RS-3 paint scheme in this picture? I thought that the rebuilts came back in Warm Orange and Black cab; this looks like all the same color ( I thought it was a PC repaint but the date was too early...) and the New Haven lettering appears to be white.