NH746EJO

September 14th, 2018, 10:38 am #11

I VOTE FOR GREEN

Brad:  My old eyes see the gas-electric as green.  The photo Mr Sullivan posted above is by Thomas J. McNamara of 9108 on the Needham Branch.  It is on p.112 of New Haven Railroad, The Final Decade by Scott Hartley, where I assume you saw it.  I think there are many pictures in Hartley's book of equipment we know were green but which appear as black.  For example, if we didn't know better we would swear that the PAs on page 125 of Hartley's book were black.  I suspect the car body in Boston you posted is a faded green, especially since the photo tints have changed and the black roofs don't match the car body.  Posted below is a 1950s fan trip with MU cars I think most would agree were painted green  -- they seem black in this faded photo.  Brewster green can be almost black much like the Brunswick green used by the PRR on locomotives.
s-l1600-038.jpg

jkasey
jkasey

September 14th, 2018, 4:32 pm #12

There never was a Brewster green. I've seen it listed on some data sheets but it was never an official NH color & isn't listed in the NH Color guide. NH serial #212 Hunter Green was used on locos from 1945-1948 & on cars from 1930-1948. NH serial #401 was used only from 1954-1955. NH serial #13 was used on locos from 1930-1945, on locos from 1948-196-35 & Passenger equipment from 1947-1953. All dates are approximate.

John

NH746EJO

September 15th, 2018, 12:20 pm #13

COLOR NAMES
John,  forgive my use of the name Brewster which I only used because I wanted to mention a dark green shade, and forgot it is not a name used by the New Haven.  Using color names is something like a discussion with my wife over whether we should paint a room "Shamrock", "Isle of Pines". "Hunt Club" or "Country Squire", all of which are very similar dark greens sold by Sherwin Williams.  Arthur Dubin wrote about how when Pullman changed its car color from brown to green, it developed a dark olive green originally called Brewster Green but later referred to as Pullman Green.  And I've read that there is disagreement over whether Pullman Green changed over time.  Some say the standard never changed but others say different manufacturers led to changes as did factors such as the change to automotive enamel rather than linseed oil or a desire for cheaper, more durable or easier to use ingredients .  New Pullman and Old Pullman have been said to have been used with Old Pullman also referred to as Brunswick Green.  In short, I have a hard time talking about colors by using names, including Hunter Green. 

corlissbs

September 15th, 2018, 7:54 pm #14

Thank you all for the help. Green would be the logical choice. I did compare the color of the operating gas car with the trees and the color seems to be spot on. There was enough business on the Provincetown run to warrant a trailer. I do wonder if the book publishers have an enhancing program for every slide????? W-145 was definitely black. I copied that slide on my home copier and got the result that you see. The slide shows more black and I looked that body over in real life. It was solid black, with a peeling roof. The railroad guys told me it was a gas electric and in a previous discussion a Society member said that it was only a trailer. No cars of that series were made into trailers, according to "NH Power." Like I said, the dark greens faded to a lighter green very much as they aged. I am not sure that we have that dark of a green in model paints. Comparing the Color Guide color to what is available.