Express at South Station

Ron High

7:56 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #1

Interesting consist one of the Express Trains? Any comments?
Ron High

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIG-SLIDE-Pen ... Sw61dbrTF5

Statkowski

8:40 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #2

M&E train, nothing outrageous.  New Haven passenger-equipped hacks routinely ran as far south as Washington, D.C. and as far west as Pittsburgh, Pa.  In return, PRR passenger-equipped cabin cars ran as far east as Boston, Mass. and as far north as Springfield, Mass.  Such trains routinely had NH, PRR, NYC and ACL cars in their consist, plus other roads' cars used in REA service.

rsullivan

8:41 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #3

Thanks for sharing the picture of an express train. I at first thought it was entering Boston based upon the thread's title and that it looks like Boston by the Charles River. When I saw the Pennsylvania caboose I thought it was a New York to Boston express with what Mr. Statkowski calls an equipment balancing move. I assumed the Pennsylvania also had that style of caboose set up with steam and other lines needed to connect with passenger train cars while in express service like some of the New Haven's NE-2 and NE-3. Then I saw the NYC Pacemaker boxcars. I don't remember a B&A yard along the New Haven's tracks on any of the maps. However, if Mr. High says it is entering South Station it has to be Boston. A lot of interesting and thought provoking images within the small picture. Thanks.
Richard #3967

Statkowski

10:11 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #4

Boston & Albany to the left while entering, New Haven and Old Colony to the right.  Nope, wouldn't show on New Haven maps because it wasn't New Haven trackage.  Yes, some of the Pennsy's N-5 cabin cars were passenger-equipped.

BX10
BX10

10:20 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #5

Mr. Sullivan,
 What you called a B&A yard is actually the Railway Express yard. If you have the book New Haven Facilities VOL. #1 on pages 13, 16, 17, and 22 it shows these tracks.
Also in the book NEW HAVEN Color Pictorial Vol. #3 on page 76 it shows an New Haven RS2 with a cut of Express cars. The caption in part says "RS-2 No. 0503 worked the Express yard moving cars from the "O" Track in the Express yard to various trains" 

Bill

Statkowski

11:50 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #6

Somewhat related, on a PRR forum someone claims there is no evidence of New Haven hacks making it all the way down to Washington, D.C.  Anything I can enlighten him with?

hiflyer1040

1:42 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #7

What seems unusual is that the crew on the cabin car is dressed in passenger uniforms.  Seems odd for a M&E train.

Dave Brighters

Statkowski

2:15 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #8

M&E trains were passenger trains.  Didn't necessarily carry passengers, but they were handled by passenger crews, not freight crews.

Peter R Ness

6:07 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #9

It's also not strange it's entering South Station trackage.  If you peer through the B&A overhead transfer crane metalwork, you can see part of the South Boston PO Annex, which would be the destination for all the M&E cars after a tad of switching.

Peter

Statkowski

7:43 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #10

Again (no answer repeated so far):  Somewhat related, on a PRR forum someone claims there is no evidence of New Haven hacks making it all the way down to Washington, D.C.  Anything I can enlighten him with?