Devon, 1900

6:51 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #1

Devon 1900 001.jpg

Ron High

8:26 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #2

Great picture Rick .Thanks for posting it.
Ron High

8:55 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #3

Ron:
Glad you like it. The next great improvement was the catenary!!

Peter R Ness

10:15 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #4

Rick,
Nice photo, and so many questions and comments because it is "before my time"
what was the siding leading up to the bridges for? WB commuter cars?
imagine on the main line not only were there fences between tracks, but a walkway at Devon! LOOK BOTH WAYS!!! lol
in another thread a while back someone was asking about New Haven telltales  - there they are!
maybe it's my eyes, but the telltales look like they traverse only two tracks so those would be the WB tracks? No massive switch complex in place before the catenary?

Nice photo on many levels!
Peter Ness

11:48 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #5

Peter:

There was a coal company there and later on the propane tank for the switch heaters.

vonmazur1

5:32 PM - Oct 15, 2018 #6

Guys, this was before the automatic signals were in use...Note the signal location and style. This was the lock and block era. the next block station was River Road, SS 70 to the west and to the east was Milford SS 72. Note also, the eventual interlocking design, is not present in this picture. there are no crossovers in front of the tower, for example. Dan Manners' site has pix and some charts of that era..

Track 6 was called the "Team Track" they would set off cars for unloading by wagons, and teams of horses. There was a lumber yard also south of the tower, long gone now...

vonmazur1

5:40 PM - Oct 15, 2018 #7

I have never found out what block stations were west of River Road, when it was lock and block, there were several, but I have never found out locations and names, these were in between Devon and Bishop Ave...and before Bishop Ave was built ??

vonmazur1

5:43 PM - Oct 15, 2018 #8

Peter R Ness wrote: Rick,
Nice photo, and so many questions and comments because it is "before my time"
what was the siding leading up to the bridges for? WB commuter cars?
imagine on the main line not only were there fences between tracks, but a walkway at Devon! LOOK BOTH WAYS!!! lol
in another thread a while back someone was asking about New Haven telltales  - there they are!
maybe it's my eyes, but the telltales look like they traverse only two tracks so those would be the WB tracks? No massive switch complex in place before the catenary?

Nice photo on many levels!
Peter Ness
Pete: I think there were more signals on the east side of the westbound tracks. I have to find the chart that shows the really complicated signals they used then, some were for the interlocking and some were departing block indications..

Dale

6:17 PM - Oct 15, 2018 #9

Here's Devon's model board. Devon Modelboard.jpg

Statkowski

9:49 PM - Oct 15, 2018 #10

Operating under Controlled Manual Block rules at the time, I'd assume that Stratford served as a block station between River Road and Bishop Avenue.  The station at Fairfield at that time was also a Block Station, complete with manually-controlled signals.

The changeover to Automatic Block Signals would have eliminated a multitude of Block Stations (just signals at such, no interlocking plant involved).