Can you date this picture of the Branchville station?

October 23rd, 2003, 11:56 am #1

Hello, gentlemen. Once again I come to you for help. We here at the Railroad History Archive have a photograph of the Branchville railroad station. The image came to us undated, and the best date we can give is between 1900 and 1940. Can someone narrow down to a more specific date?
You'll find the image at Connecticut History Online ([url=http://cthistoryonline.org)]cthistoryonline.org)[/url] by doing a basic search under its unique identifying number, UC17-1220. If the link works right you find it under here:
cho.uconn.edu/cgi-bin/sca...=464&doc=1
Thanks for your help.
Laura Smith
UConn Libraries

Noel Weaver

October 23rd, 2003, 12:04 pm #2

I believe the electrification of the Danbury Branch
went into operation around 1925. There does not appear
to be any evidence of electrification in the pictures
so that would predate it to before 1925. In addition,
it appears that the station was set up for a shuttle
type train between Branchville and Ridgefield.
My thought is that this picture dates from 1910 to 1920
and probably no later than that period.
Noel Weaver

Tom Curtin

October 23rd, 2003, 1:20 pm #3

I agree with Noel's estimate of the date, and for the same reasons he stated.
For no reason other than gut feel, I would lean toward the latter end of the period he estimated, i.e., probably about 1920.

pe lynch

October 23rd, 2003, 4:50 pm #4

Laura - Are you sure that this is Branchville? Isn't the area behind Branchville station level?

October 23rd, 2003, 8:40 pm #5

Definitely Branchville station, and a great pic thanks for posting it. There's an embankment behind the tracks, cresting approx. behind the station. I'd guess that pic was taken on the Rt. 7 side of the riverbank, just south of the old gas station but north of the road that is the south crossing now. The footbridge is in the same approx. location as the one now behind the gas station.
It's long gone, but as a kid waiting for my Dad I remember a sign approx. the size of a no parking sign, stating that the sign was the high water mark for the '55 flood (and over my head at the time ). It was on the embankment on the other side of the tracks about opposite the south side of the station...

October 23rd, 2003, 9:00 pm #6

This picture facing North, is definitely of Branchville Station sometime between 1905 when the station was built and before the completion of electrification of the Danbury Branch in 1925.
The Ridgefield Branch platform shelter is still in place in this picture (the one closest to the camera). Passenger service to Ridgefield ended in August of 1925, a few months after the electrification of the Danbury Branch.
Norwalk River is in the foreground, the track closest to the camera may have been the lead to the Ridgefield engine house. Joe Smith