Cab Signals

Statkowski

March 10th, 2018, 11:56 am #1

Any idea why Hartford cab signals were different from Shore Line cab signals?  And, was there really a difference between Shore Line cab signals and New York Connecting Railroad (i.e., PRR) cab signals?

Run 8
Run 8

March 10th, 2018, 12:32 pm #2

I'm not sure that there was any difference.  Four indications were possible - Clear, Approach Medium, Approach, and Lunar White/Restricting.  Some locos had color indication, others like PRR equipment had a position light display.  Each could operate on any division, as far as I can remember.

nhrr246512

March 11th, 2018, 10:08 am #3

FWIW very different and detailed Cab Signal Tests for Engines operating via Shore Line and between New Haven and Springfield per Employee Timetables (No. 6 - 10/26/58, for example). "In making prescribed departure tests on Diesel engines enginemen must know that cutout switch in the cab is in the proper position and that the change-over switch is in the correct position for the cab signal territory over which the engine will operate".

frn1963

March 12th, 2018, 8:21 am #4

Are you thinking of the different automatic train stop systems perhaps?

Fred Nangle

Statkowski

March 12th, 2018, 9:08 am #5

The New Haven, and others, had cab signal systems.  The New York Central, and others, had automatic train stop systems.  Two different animals.

Goffprof

April 15th, 2018, 8:51 am #6

Statkowski wrote:Any idea why Hartford cab signals were different from Shore Line cab signals?”

The NH’s Hartford Line and Shoreline cab signal system (CSS) equipment and design were very different. The Shore Line cab signals were 100 Hz (cycles) and the Hartford Line cab signals were 140 Hz. Penn Central decided to swap locomotives around the system and didn’t want to maintain the Hartford Line 140 Hz CSS so they successfully petitioned FRA for abandonment of the Hartford Line cab signals, leaving the 60 Hz Automatic Block Signals (ABS) in place.

When I started for Penn Central in the Hartford Signal gang in 1975, we were still disconnecting the 140 Hz CSS and removing the cab signal loops on both tracks.

Hope that helps answer the Hartford Line cab signal questions.

Al Goff
(Former Signal Maintainer, Asst Supervisor- New Haven Signal Shop, and Supervisor C&S, New Haven)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statkowski

April 15th, 2018, 10:24 am #7

Okay, got some of the what (Shore Line vs. Hartford Line), still no New York Connecting/PRR info, but still no why the differences.