Brookville BL 20 GH

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the New Haven Railroad.

Brookville BL 20 GH

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

June 12th, 2018, 11:12 pm #1

Hello kid's have a Question ?

On a couple of my groups ( thank's to my boy ) I found out 1 of these units was headed west ( as in the other side of the US )
Unit was on a UP train Headed west in OR. last unit in set Still painted NH.. Did they sell it/them or what.
 Was  East of Hood River on the Columbia River.  Well Heck I filled the car & headed to Portland to wait & wait some more ..
Got to yard bout 8:30 and hung around till bout 11:30. The only thing I saw was 1 Rabbit and by the Diesel servicing  tracks 2 Very large Coyote. Not 1 train but a lot of rain !!  I said heck with it and headed home. Got home bout 1 AM & hit the sack I needed to get up at 4:30 but said 5 will due. 
  Jim

frn1963

June 13th, 2018, 7:31 am #2

BL-20’s are being sent out for overhaul.

Fred Nangle

Statkowski

June 14th, 2018, 9:28 am #3

Ten years old and they have to be sent to the other side of the country (and it's a big country) just to be overhauled?

Metro North can't do the job themselves?

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

June 14th, 2018, 10:10 am #4

I thought that was a bit funny my self But pictures don't lie  One guy on one of my lists said a ( Rebuild and re paint ) ? Hope they stay the same but then. They came ALL the way to Portland to go back to Boise ?

Jim

Statkowski

June 14th, 2018, 10:40 am #5

Boise is in Idaho.  The locomotives were built in Pennsylvania.

Of course, a rebuild is a bit more than an overhaul.  And a ten-year-old diesel-electric shouldn't need a rebuild unless it's been run ragged, which I seriously doubt these locomotives have.

Rich Cizik

June 29th, 2018, 3:24 pm #6

Run ragged is a matter of opinion, don't forget these were built to meet emissions, Tier 3 IIRC, so they use a high speed prime mover to get the exhaust hot enough to burn off the extra hydro-carbons.  Thus the PMs are not going to last as long as the old EMD 567/645 motors.  IIRC the idle speed is 2.5-3 times higher than the old 567/645 engines.  The other question, were they designed and run near the top of their horse power band or was there room for extra power, the closer to the top end you run, the more wear you get, because you are straining the motor, especially with the high acceleration of commuter service.

I would be interested to know what the Duty Cycle & HP of the Prime Movers were, Idle RPM, and what exactly is being serviced on these units.

IIRC one went out over a month ago, and the second one was the one being talked about in this thread.  I wonder if the rest of the CDoT BL20s will be going to Boise and/or if any of their MN or SI Sisters will be joining them.

Rich C.