Bowser NH U25

September 10th, 2018, 5:55 am #1

I recently saw the Bowser HO U25 No. 2525 which was a special run. I noticed the model had a snowplow pilot, which they never had. Here's a shot I took of 2512 in 1966. No snowplow!! I wonder where they got this wrong info from. 2512 in Danbury 001.jpg

John Sheridan

September 10th, 2018, 8:31 am #2

Easy Answer: 

I did the artwork for the project. It was a special run for a customer. The artwork did NOT include a snowplow. 

If I were to guess.....The factory was doing a run of U25Bs & most of them had snowplows. Someone kept going & simply added the plows to these units. 

It happens much more than you think.

Ron High

September 10th, 2018, 9:20 am #3

When I posted about this Bowser U25 I did mention about the snow plow and that I had not seen a photo of a New Haven period U25 with a plow. It is possible that post NH it got a plow.
I recently dug out one  of my Bowser Executive Line U25s . I find that this new special run has more red in the orange NH and sill stripe compared to the Executive Line engines . I think the Executive Line colors reflect a more accurate color.
There is a big difference in the Red Orange color between the prototype U25 and C425s. When you see a photo of each in the same picture it is easy to detect when they were new and clean. As they aged and weathered it is harder to see that color difference.

The pre Executive Line Stewart U25s all had a very red orange NH and sill stripe which I think was not right .It looks to me like the color on this later special run is some where in between. I think the color on the Executive Line engines except for this new run of 2525 is the best representation of the proper sort of orange red of the prototype.
Ron High

John Sheridan

September 12th, 2018, 8:19 am #4

Ron High wrote: When I posted about this Bowser U25 I did mention about the snow plow and that I had not seen a photo of a New Haven period U25 with a plow. It is possible that post NH it got a plow.
I recently dug out one  of my Bowser Executive Line U25s . I find that this new special run has more red in the orange NH and sill stripe compared to the Executive Line engines . I think the Executive Line colors reflect a more accurate color.
There is a big difference in the Red Orange color between the prototype U25 and C425s. When you see a photo of each in the same picture it is easy to detect when they were new and clean. As they aged and weathered it is harder to see that color difference.

The pre Executive Line Stewart U25s all had a very red orange NH and sill stripe which I think was not right .It looks to me like the color on this later special run is some where in between. I think the color on the Executive Line engines except for this new run of 2525 is the best representation of the proper sort of orange red of the prototype.
Ron High
Bowser does have a NHRHTA color guide. I know this because I sent them another one as we do with all manufacturers who model NH stuff. We always offer them one when working on a project. 

The problem here is that you are painting on black. If the factory does not compensate for this, the paint will color shift when applied to the carbody. Some factories will compensate automatically, some will not, & some don't care other than getting the product out the door. 
If the factory does not send a painted sample, you have no idea what the end-product is going to look like until it hits the shelves. I have no idea if someone at Bowser received a sample as they did not tell me if they did - or not. I did ask about it during production & did not get a response from Bowser on the status at any point after I turned in the work. 

Lastly, I have no idea if Bowser's regular line & executive line are done at the same or different factories. When companies use more than one factory, the end results can be vastly different. 

Ron High

September 12th, 2018, 9:11 am #5

John thanks for posting a reply ,You explained very well the things that affect a project. It is easy to see how things go astray. All things considered I will keep my 2525 remove the snow plow mount foot boards and add a little weathering to sort mute the color difference.
Thanks
Ron High