BLI New Haven Mikado 2-8-2

3:55 PM - Nov 21, 2007 #1

I tried a search of the site but I can up empty when looking for threads that talk about the BLI New Haven Mikado. Just trying to get some opinions on it. I find it intresting that no one has commented on it at all.
NHRF

6:44 PM - Nov 21, 2007 #2

Oh, it's been talked about, but it's been awhile since that model came out. The search function of this forum is, quite frankly, awful.
Essentially, the BLI model is a USRA design, and the NH did not have USRA 2-8-2's. However, in the book, "New Haven Power" by Jack Swanberg, page 262, there is a drawing of the J-2 superimposed over a USRA heavy Mike drawing. According to the author, they were "almost identical" except for the low, arched window cab and air pump location on the NH (under the cab).
It also states that the J-1's were much lower than their USRA light Mike cousins, although otherwise similar.

8:28 PM - Nov 22, 2007 #3

So a USRA 2-8-2 is a good start, where the cab is the major difference and needs to be addressed just to create a credible New Haven replica? How was the New Haven Mike lowered? Smaller drivers? Or was it "chopped and channeled" and turned into a low ryder?

paulrail1

4:54 AM - Nov 23, 2007 #4

Has anyone heard if these BLI Mikes are still available anywhere?
Paul

10:27 AM - Nov 23, 2007 #5

BLI has put the Heavy and Light Mikados in their blue line. There is an other spin coming out in the spring. Although there are non of these coming out in New Haven. I am woundering how much effort would it take to get these to look like a real New Haven 2-8-2 (J-1's). Whenever I look at any New Haven steam, it seems like I need to redo the cab becuause of the arched window that New Haven seemed to use exclusively. I was just wondering what else is required.
NHRF

NH746EJO

11:10 AM - Nov 25, 2007 #6

The 13'9" height of a J-1 was mainly acheived by lowering the boiler. The drivers of a J-1, J-2 and USRA light were all 63". Both the J-1 and J-2 had a 35'4" wheel base but the USRA was 9" longer. However, the boiler center of the J-1 (at the smokebox) was only 9' vs. 9'6" for the USRA and 9'8" for the J-2. Look at an F-5 2-8-0 up to about the 2nd driver and you might mistake it for a J-1 - built four years earlier than the J-1, it stood 14'7" high with a boiler center of 9'6". The 10" difference between the height of a J-1 and F-5 can mainly be accounted for by the 6" lower boiler center and apparently a smaller boiler diameter. The USRA light was also 40,000 lbs heavier than the J-1 due mainly to a larger boiler. In short, if you strip the boiler of the USRA model and change the domes, cab, tender, valve gear, pilot, trailing truck it might begin to resemble a J-1.
I have a better idea, violate the rules and pretend the USRA allocated some light mikados to the New Haven which were classified J-3. Nobody will believe that but how many people believe the fact that the Pennsy had USRA light mikados - on that road they really stood out from the crowd.
The J-1 is a favorite of mine because by the time I was old enough to get to the roundhouse by myself other NH steam was gone - it was hard getting used to the large cab set so close to the ground but that's what made the J-1 distinctive. The arch cab window was not only a NH characteristic but could be found on many roads - B&M, RDG, SOU, LV to name a few.